Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

How do I get a strat to sound like this?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Stratitarius, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Stratitarius

Stratitarius New Member!

Oct 10, 2018
    Sarasota FL
    I've always loved the way Strats play, but I have never been keen on their tone. They're usually missing the buttery richness that drew me to play the guitar in the first place (e.g. "Have You Ever Loved a Woman" by Fleetwood Mac). I've always been a Les Paul/335 type. So when I walked into Sam Ash and saw the new buttercream Strat on the wall, I figured it was beautiful and played well but it was not for me. When I got home, Peter Green's "Drifting" happened to come on. For the first time I realized he was playing his Stratocaster, not his famous burst. I love this tone. It's nearly as rich as a Paul with a hint of glass to it. If I can get it to sound like this, I'll have no problem taking that guitar from the wall and placing it next to my LP. So, how will I accomplish that?

2. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I guess you'd start by finding out what Greeney had in his Strat; pickups, etc. His LP tone was certainly special...BUT, with all the delving into his LP that's been done; the reversed neck pickup, Selmer amps, electronics etc. the tone's been CLOSE to replicated, but not quite.

Do I dare say it? Yeah, I do...

A big part of Peter's tone comes from Peter.

Best wishes in your quest!

Brian

Electgumbo and Yves like this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Sounds like a Strat neck pickup, a little distortion, and speakers that will reproduce the lows reasonably well. It's the sound that made me add a single coil neck pickup to a guitar I got recently that had only a bridge humbucker on it. I love the clean, relatively bassy sound of a good neck single coil.

4. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    For the life of me I still haven’t moved on past a dominant love for that neck pick up.

A good strat neck pick up is like crack to me.

5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Here's a pipe full:

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Let the Strat sound like a Strat and the LP sound like the LP. Strats are incredibly versatile. You can get all kinds of tones out of them. You just have to commit to playing it. If you're used to the Gibsons, it will sound thin at first, but the single coil has such a sweet tone that you might start thinking your Gibsons sound a little muddy by comparison, you never know.

Use a Tube Screamer to fatten your Strat sound for lead or classic rock. Start listening to some Steve Miller and get in the Strat mindset. ;)

7. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Philly, PA
    I grew up in Sarasota.

8. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    ...and I believe his set up is quite basic

9. Doug B

Doug B Strat-Talker

Jun 17, 2017
    Canada
    Don't forget that when PG was alive, there weren't a million pickups to put in a strat!

stratobiker likes this.
  10. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    He's still alive!

But I agree with your pickup reference.

11. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Sep 16, 2011
    France
    Top tip - roll some tone and volume off.....I believe that’s where the best Strat tones can be found.

Play with a stiff pick, or fingers.....

12. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    The man is still alive, he moved to Sweden for a while but I don't think he's still here.

13. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

Jan 3, 2009
    NY Finger Lakes Region
    Compression and EQ fattens up a Strat. Plus, with a Stratocaster you need to let the amp do the talking. If you have too big an amp for the venue you're doomed.

But remember, a longer scale, bolt-on neck and single coils is what makes the Strat sound unique. The shorter scale, set neck and buckers on the Les Paul are what it what it is. Both have 6 strings but that's about all they have in common.

The best way to fatten up a Strat is a Fractal. Works every time, never fails.

Chuck

14. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    ...put a Humbucker in the neck.

Not quite answering your question, I know, but 3 of my 4 electrics have neck HBs so I'm very biased and hope to spread the goodness :D

15. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I LOVE that sound as well! @Paperback Rocker makes a good point...commit to playing it and learn to draw the tones out of it. I rotate through my guitars playing different ones exclusively for a month or two. I have discovered the unique tones of each doing this.

The 2 and 4 positions on the strat used to irritate me. The tone seems so flat and unresponsive. Once I understood that tone and appreciated it, it could use it with more purpose. Those are some unique strat tones.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  16. Del1

Del1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 12, 2010
    Kent, UK
    If this is the recording of 'Drifting' you're referring to, I don't think it's a Strat. It was a pretty early track by Fleetwood Mac, made before they'd visited the States, where Green picked up his sunburst Strat. And to me it sounds like his Les Paul:

17. spizike231

spizike231 Strat-Talker

Feb 9, 2017
    California
    Now that I have alnico pups I definitely appreciate the 2 and 4. Such a unique sound. All the positions sound good now and I’m warming up to them!

18. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-Talker

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    OK, I'll bite. What is a fractal?

19. cjjr

cjjr Strat-Talk Member

Sep 13, 2015
    Lakewood, Co.
    No way "Drifting" was played on a Strat. That's all Les Paul.

You sure your not thinking of Albatross.

20. Sonic Les

Sonic Les Strat-Talk Member

Oct 7, 2018
    Hartlepool UK
    I recall seeing The Force around a decade ago at a small pub gig and Phil Thornell,s Strats sounded huge but when Dave Shaw stepped up for his lead break his black Les Paul was really bass heavy on the lower notes and lacked definition , Recall thinking at the time he badly needed a Tube screamer or EQ pedal to dial out the Bass .