Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How do I get this bunch of amateur musicians in an order we can have even more fun in?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by TangerineDog, Oct 2, 2018.

1. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    We're three. The three of us, no less!
    There will be nobody left by next wednesday and we'll all be broke o_O

Yves and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Hah, with our lot, the nearest one to the fines tin would have nicked it and sneaked off to the pub across the road.

3. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    I'd just forget where it is and open up another one and years later, we'll find the original one and the 3 replacements...

It takes discipline for disciplinary action to work...

Yves and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

4. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Ha!Ha!Ha!
    So the "fantom" bass player's been kicked to the curve?! Good move.
    That's progress.
    Three should be ideal really to put a basic set together.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    And gaffer tape any transpose buttons on the keyboard...

6. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Can't really ask him to pay for not playing if he can't afford the bass...

He's welcome to get the band back together after next Wednesday though ;)

Yves likes this.

7. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Even without a bass he could contribute. If he is creative and committed he could be tasked to work on the image of the band for instance.
    Stage frocks, attitude, presence, etc...
    All that counts for impact.
    Promotion material etc...
    Getting a band going is all this and more!

8. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Boom, ooh, yattattata?

Yves likes this.

9. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Absolutely! Boom, ooh, yattattata!!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

10. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK

11. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    I think that's a plentiful of valuable advise there to respond the OP.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

12. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    This...

13. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    We're kinda way past that already...
    The bunch of musicians in question is at a point where just jamming without a plan doesn't hit it for us anymore but we're all too dumb to figure out where to go with it now.
    I'm sorry, I don't know how to make it any clearer than that except maybe point to how this thread has developed from post #4 where I managed to get to the core of the problem to here... but, in a nutshell, if you know how to help a loose jam group find a new goal, please share it here!

Yep, there is.

In the end, I think finding something to work towards will make everyone feel better than trying to motivate us with some little punishments.
    With the different directions we're coming from, it's probably best to focus on one existing song, find our groove with that (I mean, you can play a song in whatever style you choose... we'll just have to see what'S our actual genre) and then work from there. Of course, we'd all dig writing ourselves, but writing in a group is different from writing alone and we'll need our groove to do it together, I guess.

Phil, our bass guy, is still welcome to join in, but as I said, we're kinda keeping the option open for him as a friend, we're not actively looking for a bass.

As for the band image... we're kinda still not looking to form a band. So the nicest contribution our bass guy could make without an instrument would be to show up for a jam and just chat with us like he does when wee meet up just for fun :)
    Or he could get a Cajon, those are only like 30 bucks...

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

14. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    If it ain't a gigging/recording/working band....no driver needed. It sits in one place, and has some fun.

15. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I'd lose the guitar player with no sense of timing....if he hasn't figured it out by now he never will, some white guys have no rhythm.....

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

16. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    He's part of the bunch. He's 1/3 of the bunch. We want to have fun together and somehow working around that will just have to be part of the process...

If I ever want to get a proper band off the ground though, I won't call him.
    I'd take violin guy, my GF and three copies of myself.
    Dang, we'd be good :cool:

17. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I'd be dead serious with him then and explain he needs to learn timing, whether counting or feeling it, and to practice on it a lot.....even in a casual setting personally this would drive me nuts to the point of not wanting to play with someone like that....

18. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    It's good to take the time to sit around the table ( no booze! only tea and a monopoly or sth...) and take the time to discuss these things, openly amongst yourselves. Should be easy enough now that you all are well acquainted with each others.
    It's a great thing to be able to get together to play music, so tricky to organise.

19. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    If the problem persists, I will. All I know is that he's aware of it and is himself motivated to do it right.

Since at least two of us are get to our jam grounds by car, booze at our meetings would be a tragically lonely affair...
    But I've jumped the shark and wrote to the guys and now we're in the process of finding a nice song.
    I am, that is. One asked me to choose since he's happy with anything and the other one hasn't reacted yet but my money's on the Jurassic Park theme :whistling:

On that note, I might just go with Élan by Nightwish - it's got flute parts for violin/ flute guy, heavy parts for guitar and piano parts for keyboard so timing sense guy can pick his poison and finally, there's nice clean passages for me :3

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

20. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Good on you!
    Just checked it up on YouTube, sounds like a plan.