Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

How do I get this bunch of amateur musicians in an order we can have even more fun in?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by TangerineDog, Oct 2, 2018.

1. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Well, it has the potential to get metally which timing guy will appreciate, folk rocky, which I will appreciate, or we can make the flute the centerpiece which violin/ flute guy will appreciate.
    If we alternate between those, everybody will be happy - in theory at least :)

And sure, I know that unless we find common ground, somebody will always have to compromise, but hey, we'll find a way. We just gotta start somewhere.

2. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    Establish a goal.

For example, my daughter was in dance for years. They learned a routine. They performed it at 4 or 5 local competitions after 7 months. It gave them a goal, a purpose. And some nice year end photos.

Musician example, I recently decided to cease recording and go back to performing (I am also no longer on call 24/7). Didn't want a serious commitment but needed a reason to perform "out". Stage pressure forces you to either sh** or go watch TV.

Look around for an open mic or jam session.
    Rent a hall and throw a birthday party where your "band" can play a few songs.
    Get your butts on stage and make it count.

Establish a goal.

Or, sit in the basement, drink and smoke and wonder why you never get anything accomplished.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I happen to be hooking up with some new folks this week. I answered an ad, part of which was 'we are not forming a band', they just want another guitar so another can play drums. Anyway should be fun, especially as they are near me.

4. Elmo

Elmo Strat-Talker

Jul 4, 2018
    Dalton GA
    I started out with two friends when I was 15 years old.The first thing is to figure out the songs you want to do.then sit down and put the songs in the order you want to perform them in, Then work out the day and times that everyone can be there for practice.And very important always have a closed practice, meaning no friends are chicks are allowed.Then practice your song set as if you were on stage.If you have a couple of original members that will stick together,you can always find other good players to surround yourself with.We were always doing that,but the 3 of us were always rock steady.I also learned thru the years that people who were whiners get rid of them quickly.They are poison to a band,no matter how good they were. If you want to get good practice practice practice.When we finally got out performing and really became tight as a group,The good musicians found us.You should have fun doing what you love to do.I still remember the feeling I had the first time I played and got paid for it. I was on cloud nine.But just remember music has a business side to it and you can't carry dead weight around Do whatever you have to do and find a bass player, They are everywhere.Good luck

5. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    Anyone who's never been paid to play might not understand. I'm not here because I get paid, I'm here because I love playing. And when somebody PAYS me to do something I'd willingly do for free - it's fantastic!

Back to the point - in your case I'd find a tall, good-looking, arrogant guy who wants to be on stage. If he can sing and play bass, those are just extras. Or you could just carry on and enjoy sitting around with your friends.

6. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    That's the plan. The question is how to amp up the enjoyment.

What, we have to smoke and drink as well? And go to a basement? Where's the fun in that? :confused:

I mean, guys, look at the thread, there IS some middle ground between 'jam without a plan' and 'try to make it on stage and get paid'!

Of us three, I'm probably the only one who currently has any interest in ever going on stage, and if I wanted to do that now, I'd first try to find people who share that ambition, not drag my mates along at all costs!
    The ambition we share is to make more complex music than just jamming out.

I play guitar. Does that work?

But as a musician, I'm just not good enough to entertain people yet!
    I also know that I'll never get good if I decide to go to a basement now, to drink before driving home and to take up smoking, but if I went up on stage now... I might still want gigs in the future, you know?
    So trying to play one song in a stage-worthy manner might be a better first step than tackling a 45min setlist head-on.

Oh, btw, yesterday, I heard that timing sense guy has gotten a used bass rig for low.
    That's gonna be interesting...

Bob the builder likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK

Buy timing guy a metronome for Christmas. Play a click track when you jam. A super-squirter kept close to hand will deter laziness...

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  8. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    Major update: It worked.

We've settled on one song and we all feel it already.
    The two guys back home have already started practicing on their own and I'll get started when I'm back from vacation.
    Very much looking forward to our next session :)

Thank you all! You have definitely pointed us in the right direction!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    circles, Cerb, Stormy Monday and 3 others like this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    You know we're going to want to hear this, right? :sneaky:

Cerb and JustABluesGuy like this.
  10. TangerineDog

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    You know you really don't, right?

Anyway, I'll just put it in a new thread once we've recorded it and leave it there... listen at your own peril :whistling:

Thrup'ny Bit and circles like this.
  11. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Set up a recorder of some kind , burn some cd's and hand them out to your band members. Many people would be appalled to hear how bad they actually sound, versus how they think they sound.

12. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Yes, one of those records accompanied by moving pictures!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  13. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

No it's too perilous!

I jammed with a new group o' folks tonight, very fun. Some of it was great, some n o t. Glad there was no tape running. ;)

14. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-Talker

Jun 30, 2016
    meridianam altum centralis
    You mentioned the destroyer of creating a band or becoming a better musician: busy. You can't be too busy to buckle down and create a first band. You have to want the band enough, that you do the homework AND meet all your other responsibilities. Weekly rehearsal, with near daily practice so rehearsals are effective. Its not an either/or. Its a both. As mentioned, find others that have the same desire. My experience with convincing others to accept this challenge is not encouraging. It has to be self-initiated.

15. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    That's what I thought when I was 13. Now I've seen so many crap entertainers I know I was wrong. Can't do anything about it now, other than play as often as I can.

Homework - look up Mark Twain on "regret". :whistling:

JustABluesGuy and Thrup'ny Bit like this.