Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

how do i remove this neck safley

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tready, Oct 9, 2009.

1. tready

tready Banned

hi guys iv just bought this of ebay for not alot of money but there is a problem some fool has glued the neck on now im not bothered about the body so if that gets cut up geting the neck out so be it i mean look at that grain on the back as any 1 got any ideas how i could go about removing it also do any of you no what the neck is he says its old but how old is a mystery there is a nut on the bottom of the heel to adjust the truss rod not an alan rench a nut any 1 seen this befor thanks

Attached Files:

• 042.jpg
      042.jpg
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
    • 045.jpg
      045.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
    • 041.jpg
      041.jpg
      File size:
      16.7 KB
      Views:
    • 037-1.jpg
      037-1.jpg
      File size:
      18.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Jabs

Jabs Strat-Talk Member

Heat gun and patience

3. chuckdup

chuckdup Strat-O-Master

:eek: A heat gun?? really? could you give a bit more of a hint.. I've never used a heat gun successfully without burning whatever i was working on.

Dont know how usefull this would be onna guitar but we used to put siezed metal parts in the freezer then heat one side with a torch in the racecar shop i helped out in.

maybe bubblewrap and duct tape the neck and body to protect them as much as poss just leaving the neckplate/joint exposed. then freeze a coupla hours, heat the body with a hair dryer. somthing along those lines. :confused:

gettin a guitar that cold would scare the shyte outta me though, fretwire contracting, the fingerboard moving and not the neck joint. I wouldnt do it, at least not to the extreme. loosen the trussrod before you chill her.:cool:

Steam maybe, yeah!! one of those little hand steamers like saaayy the ones you use to take down wallpaper??!!!!?

then again the safest thing would be to get sombody as skilled as I to cut the body away with a skillsaw anda sawzall. then finish her off witha chisel and a plam sander. shure is a pretty little body though.

goodluck and let us know what you come up with....laters....chuck
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    take the screws out, remove the neckplate. get you an iron, like ya'd use to iron clothes. put a towel on the back of the body to cover where the neckplate was. turn the iron on, medium heat, set it on the towel over the join. give it some time, the glue will soften. check it after a while, try to slide a thin bladed knife into the joint. since you need to warm a rather thick area, it will take some time, be patient. don't get impatient and crank the heat control on the iron, you'll risk peeling the finish on the body. when the glue has softened, use the knife to separate the neck and body. heat will soften ANY glue, even epoxy, but different types will take different amounts of time. don't try to rush it, or go too hot with the temperature and youll be fine.

6. no1fenderfan

no1fenderfan New Member!

yeah, go with ghostwolf, its the best way. the bottom line is you need to heat it to soften the glue.

7. TwoMartinMan

TwoMartinMan Strat-O-Master

This is absolutely the correct and proper method. It is similar to the way a glued dovetail joint on an acoustic guitar is undone when performing a neck reset. Any good luthier will tell you that or you can find out for yourself with a little web research.

8. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Good advice from ghostwolf. What possible reason would someone have to glue a bolt-on neck?????

9. tready

tready Banned

thanks ghost wolf for the advice ill defo try it as to why hes glued it in who knows why perhaps he had no screws at the time and thought i no ill glue it lol

10. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

(wondering why the frets dots look depressed into the fretboard. Never seen that before.)

11. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks like a photo-flame neck. If it's a Japanese one, those are very good necks and look good!!

12. Jabs

Jabs Strat-Talk Member

Sorry the patience part of my heat gun suggestion was the important part, I should have expanded on it.

Take the gun and turn it on and place it about 18inches (depends on gun) away from the joint and let it sit. Slow and low is the key, the iron solution offered above works well too, just takes a bit longer.

13. Nunley Custom

Nunley Custom Strat-Talk Member

You can also take cardboard and shield all the areas except where the neck is glued. Place a lamp with a 100 watt bulb over the area to be softened and let it slowly heat it. Experiment to make sure you're not close enough to burn anything. You can pull a couple of frets from the glued area and drill some very small holes in the fret slot. Deep enough to get to the glue joint. Inject water or steam into the holes regularly. Be patient and it will come right off. When you replace the frets, the holes are covered. This is obviously a slower method, but if you afraid of your abilities with a heat gun or iron, this is safer.

14. nogin007

nogin007 Strat-Talk Member

You could probably take a medicine dropper, and drop a little water in the screw holes. The iron will turn it to steam. A set neck guitar's neck joint is removed using steam, at the joint.

15. AllroyPA

AllroyPA LeftyStrategist Strat-Talk Supporter

16. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    those necks have pretty thick poly on them, most likely what you're seeing is just where it welled up against the frets

17. rublalup

rublalup Strat-Talk Member

:eek:

if he is unsure with the iron i cant see how this can be an option....fret removal?...neck drilling?....water inside the drilled holes on the neck?

thats seems like too much trouble to get a neck off a body imo...go with the iron or lamp, heat the glued area and carefully take that neck off.

18. rublalup

rublalup Strat-Talk Member

this idea i like :)

19. sarNz

sarNz Senior Stratmaster

that's for an acoustic guitar

20. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Or you could just be a man about it, hold the neck firmly and smack the guitars body into a wall. Should pop right off!!

Disclaimer: this is a really stupid idea!! :D

21. Nunley Custom

Nunley Custom Strat-Talk Member

It is usually used on acoustic guitars, will work on an electric as well. I'd heat and work from the fretboard side. It'd be easy to damage the finish applying heat from the backside. Water in the neckplate screw holes is a good idea and wouldn't require pulluing frets. You'd have to inject water and plug the holes to keep it from running right back out. There is more than one way to skin a cat, no evidence of the procedure is the goal for me. I've pulled a lot of necks, it's easy to mar a finish with heat.