Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How do you all feel about posting about early CBS guitars in this section?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by slowerhand, Nov 12, 2017.

1. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    No man, I suspect we're on the cusp of a full fledged insurrection!
    Viva la révolucion!!!

Oh...wait....

Make that ...
    Bas avec la révolucion!

There, my butt is covered.

Will Lefeurve likes this.

2. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2016
    The Crossroads
    As important as the early cbs guitars are we should never forget in 1972, a crack commando unit was sent to prison by a military court for a crime they didn't commit. These men promptly escaped from a maximum security stockade to the Los Angeles underground. Today, still wanted by the government they survive as soldiers of fortune. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them....maybe you can hire The A-Team.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    pinkoboe, sikoniko and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

3. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    I want what he's drinking....

TheDudeMan likes this.

4. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2016
    The Crossroads
    I think the thing to consider is the changes that happened to the instrument, by 68 all the necks were finished with poly except the headstock face, and bodies were starting to get poly as well. By 72 the 4 bolt was vanishing, the 3 screw plate it's replacement, as well as the bullet truss rod. So for me when looking at cbs era I try to stay in the 65-67 range when Leo was still working at the plant. But people have their own opinions on what they like. There should be a cbs forum though imo

slowerhand likes this.

5. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England

TheDudeMan likes this.

6. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    I agree with the above :)

7. Bazz Jass

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    We've got it lucky here lads. Trying popping over to the Martin guitar forum and asking them to define "pre-war"....

:sneaky:

8. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 9, 2014
    Australia
    In Australia the 70s fenders got a very poor reputation. Anything that reached our shores were often junk. Same and worse for Gibson.

I have no idea why. But when you found a genuine 60's fender or gibson they were far superior IN AUSTRALIA.

Things changed the quality varied and improved later and there were exemptions. It is still a different market here compared to us or Canada. . Even Europe faired better; ).

In my travels i have found few 70s strats worth buying in AU. noy sure how good they are elsewhere

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Strange but interesting.

10. northernbrit

northernbrit Strat-Talk Member

Mar 13, 2011
    UK
    Post away mate, I for one (crankie old men) will not be shouting. Other than the large peghead, which I prefer, possibly an Indian rosewood board, and other very slight cosmetic changes, I can see no real sound or playing differences between the '66 and a late '64.

'66's tend to slip under the radar particularly if you mention how much they have in common with late preCBS.

But seriously, please post some pictures of the Strat, and lets talk guitar.

slowerhand likes this.

11. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    Thanks. So far these are all I have. Not much but I really bought it on the strength of someone's recommendation. He played it in the store and said it's by far the best out of more than 20 mid-sixties strats he's played. It's supposed to be very light too. The price was reasonable ($7k) -- not dirt cheap but OK for a store -- so it felt like the one to get if I was ever going to buy an early big headstock strat.

It's making its way from the store to my friend in New York and it'll be a couple of months before I can pick it up. Pickups are August 65. Not sure about the neck date. It would be cool if it's a 65 (one of the very earliest) but I'm a 1966 model myself so a birth year guitar would be equally nice. Color is teal green metallic as far as I can tell. I was told it's an old factory refin but I'm not even sure how one could tell (is there a marker to indicate it's a factory refin? EDIT: to answer my own question, it's lacking a number stamped under the pickguard so not a factory refin: https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/factory-refin-stamps-markings.435115/).

Next week my friend will send more pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017

12. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Have the bottom tone pot and the pickup switch been replaced? They do not look original in the pics.

13. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    Yes. I was told "new plastics" (I assume all although I don't know why a previous owner would have done that), refret, new pots and switch, and body-only refin. The rest is original. I don't care too much about these things, as long as it plays and sounds great.

14. Bazz Jass

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    RARE case there my friend. That alone has fetched $1000+ at auction in the past....

northernbrit likes this.

15. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I think $7,000 for a refin is pretty steep.

Pliny Junior and Ecosse like this.

17. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    $7000 (shipped) isn't cheap but not unreasonable IMO. It comes from a reputable vintage store so I can rest easy I'm not buying a fake, and someone whose opinion I trust played it for an hour and raved about it. That's worth something to me. Sure, I could with some patience save 1,000-1,500, but then it would be a crapshoot trying my luck on Ebay or Reverb again.

northernbrit likes this.

18. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Looks really cool. It'll be a long couple of months :)

slowerhand likes this.

19. northernbrit

northernbrit Strat-Talk Member

Mar 13, 2011
    UK
    Nice! Hopefully it will be a good player for you. Any idea of the original colour?

Yeah, having a recommend and some confidence in its origin are worth a lot these days. Not seen a case like that, its value will take the edge of the $7k.

20. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    Thanks. Don't know the original color yet. I'm still on the fence about the color it is now. If I don't like it in person and the guitar is a keeper I may send it to Clive Brown to get it done in one of my favorite colors (sonic blue, seafoam, ICB,...). It also depends how old the current finish looks.

northernbrit likes this.