Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How do you all feel about posting about early CBS guitars in this section?

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by slowerhand, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Cool looking Strat!

slowerhand likes this.

2. Major Gruber

Major Gruber Strat-Talk Member

Sep 26, 2015
    Colombes, France
    Maybe, but I'm part of it. I don't give a flying hum about what's not old wood and never care about other forums. Thus I think this one is too radical in its limit because vintage 66 to 70 are still gorgeous and very collectible. I can't believe that the Hendrix era vintage strats can't be discussed here. The Telecaster forum is more openned (much more familiar to me in fact, I'm first a Telly geek). Just my call. Cheers. ;)

3. Major Gruber

Sep 26, 2015
    Colombes, France
    Just as a reminder, the bullet truss rod with its tilt and three bolt neck plate is the last invention of Leo Fender himself before endind his consultant contract with CBS in 70.

TheDudeMan likes this.

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    So wait you're saying you don't like that this section is only for Starts before 66 but you are not willing to look at the main Strat section where the 66 and on Strat info would be? Is it really that hard for you to even look that the main Strat section? And since you don't "give a flying hum about what's not old wood" then maybe we don't give a flying hum about you having to click on another section of the forum. Jeeez what 1st world problems you have.

stratman323 likes this.

5. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Very nicely put. How ridiculous!

Stratoskater likes this.

6. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Wait, so you’re saying that you feel the need to judge someone who clearly has another interest than you have?

If you want to scout the other sub forums for guitars from ‘66-‘70, please try but it’s a PITA to do so.

I completely understand @Major Gruber. I personally am not much interested in MIA, MIM, MIJ from later years. I like to chat in Sidewinders from time to time, or give some help in other sub forums if I feel the need, but mostly hang out in the vintage section on all forums I visit.

I don’t like to be called narrow minded and I personally don’t even see the point to say this. I have only so much time in a day to spend on these awesome forums, so why not limit myself to what I like.

If there’s anything narrow minded it must be your comment that people who do this are narrow minded.

slowerhand likes this.

7. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    1st, poor you, having to search for info on this magical intraweb thing that can give me info on pretty much anything within seconds, oh poor pitiful you. Sorry Strat Talk cannot cater to every single persons wants and needs and still remain a free site.

2nd, I never called you or anyone else narrow minded. If, by your own statement, you only care about a small subset of Starts then you have a narrow focus but there is nothing wrong with that, like what you like my man.

3rd, I wasn't judging Gruber, simply calling out his attitude and how 1st world his problem sounds. Hell there are kids out there dying to buy a $20 yard sale guitar just to play and here we type arguing about how to classify vintage (expensive) instruments on an intraweb forum. Boy do we have it rough :D

8. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Lol! (and the crowd gets ugly) :whistling:

Wayne D. and rolandson like this.

9. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    Looks like the Revolución isn't going so well. In fighting amongst the conspirators will do it every time.

@Major Gruber , @slowerhand , @Mipstoo ...
    Might I suggest that you bring your concerns up to the management? There's even a sub-forum for it:rolleyes:
    http://www.strat-talk.com/forums/forum-problems-or-issues.17/

The descriptor "Pre CBS" has been around for 35 years or so. It makes perfect sense that the forum would have dedicated a section to it. If you think that a section for another specific era is warranted, talk to the bosses...

But stop cluttering up our sub-forum with these Pre CBS wannabes...:D
    That's intended as humor guys...

Oh, and nice looking guitar slowerhand...maybe show it in the main section, because there are certainly people who never venture over here for lack of interest that would love to see it:thumb:

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    T Guitar Floyd likes this.

10. Major Gruber

Sep 26, 2015
    Colombes, France
    Thank you so much for caring about my huge problems. No, I don't survey hundreds of non vintage posts in case somebody would talk about an end of 60's strat (the rare times I checked I didn't find any). I think it's too bad all the interesting vintage years aren't all together in the same place. I had a great 68 strat and am mad of a friend's 66 (there's very few 67 indeed) and think they are very cool vintage axes for vintage lovers, which the other forum isn't about. And as it's the Fender history of the beginning that interest me the most, and as my best strat today is a 63, I stick to the before 66 forum. But as I was saying, I think the Telecaster vintage forum is more interesting, it starts earlier of course as the firsts Esquires and Broadcasters are from 1950, and gets to 74, an end year that is controversial but at least covers all the interesting vintage years. When you purchase a $ 9,000 68 strat, you have more to share with a 54-65 owner than a MIJ or a CS… And I think that the discussions about the end of 60's models miss to this vintage forum. There's interesting comparisons and discussions possible that would make it more lively. Seems a little asleep to me the elitist way it is…

slowerhand likes this.

11. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    @rolandson, why are you being deliberately obtuse by telling me to take it up to the bosses over and over? The intent of this thread was to ask other members what they thought. Your repeated suggestions that I go straight to forum management as if I'm in the wrong asking other members' opinions first is just silly.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017

12. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    Yep, and for no good reason as the topic isn't particularly sensitive. Just a few people who can't leave it at giving their opinion but also have to put in a sneer.

Wayne D. and T Guitar Floyd like this.

13. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia

14. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    It's easy to dismiss this as being elitist, but it's not (most of us are average joes looking for affordable player guitars) and I agree with the gist. There's only so much time in the day and there's a reason forums have subforums.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

15. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    Great post, keep up the good work.

16. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    Maybe I’ve misunderstood the subtleties of some of the comments above, but it seems EVERYONE could be at least satisfied (and some even delighted), if Strat-Talk were to add a dedicated ‘CBS Strats’ section?

17. Michelotti

Michelotti Strat-Talker

Aug 29, 2015
    England
    PS and, as Bazz Jass mentioned earlier, a dedicated ‘Custom Shop Strats’ section might also (‘give the customer what they want’) prompt an increased number of postings on the forum...

18. Major Gruber

Sep 26, 2015
    Colombes, France
    I agree, and I look for affordable players too and I think a vintage subforum makes sense, but would make more sense as a whole vintage years forum. If a sort of elitism, I confirm my term, wants to make a limit for only pre CBS, first, it should be pre 65, as Leo Fender sold his company to CBS in January 65, and thus I think there should be a CBS subforum too. I don't know this strat forum since a long time and don't check it very often because I think its limit limits its interest.

19. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    What subtleties? Were there any? ;)

It's a never ending discussion on so many platforms, not only online. There's conservatives and progressives, and a whole bunch in between...

It's nice that @slowerhand posted these nice pictures of this beautiful "non pre-cbs" "vintage" guitar here, where it gets probably more interest than in the Stratocaster Discussion Forum.
    Some find it more intersting to sneer, give opinions beside the point or judge opinions that are not their own, while the OP only wanted to know, if we, narrow-sighted vintage lovers (the assumed wealthy of the forum) wanted to see this vintage Strat here...

20. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Comfy Chair
    Wow! Things are heating up here huh??

Seriously, I wish there was a forum section for each individual year so I could only look at the ones that apply to me. I have a 63 strat, so this is the forum section I come to most often. Pretty simple really...

I also have a wonderful 60th anniversary 1954 reissue. I wish there was a separate forum page for those, but alas, I have to share it with Stratocaster-general enthusiasts.

I for one, think that pre-CBS is a defined era. Maybe not better guitars. Maybe absolutely over-hyped roughly worked rock-n-roll machines....

BUT....of an era. An era that stopped. An era after which faithful employees became dis-enfranchised and jumped ship. An era that Leo didn't sentimentalize (he honestly couldn't fathom the growing market for vintage strats when the new G&Ls he was producing were so far superior in his mind).

Have I always wanted a guitar from that era? Hell yes! When I was 12, 21, 46. It (ownership) happened twice. Number two is still with me. I remember everything about number one.

The pre-CBS era gets to people or it doesn't. It's a unique era regardless....

crashbelt, Michelotti and TheDudeMan like this.