Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How do you describe what's real?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Hahaha I'm high on life

Chont likes this.
  2. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I don't know man, that ridiculous poofy hairdo you are sportin' says otherwise :whistling:.

LOL

duzie, Guy Named Sue and Mansonienne like this.
  3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I think it depends upon the person.

I think we are invested in that we "got it right". If getting it right means the possiblity for adjustments as needed then change can happen. If someone is inflexible/wholy invested then it becomes more difficult.

Guy Named Sue and henderman like this.
  4. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    [​IMG]

5. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Sure

6. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    100% agree. I do think some folk have an ego problem and think it is a sign of weakness to admit an error or aknowledge another person could know more or have a better idea.

IMO a wise king accepts counsel from experts and stays a king instead of losing at a game they are not superior at, for example.

Guy Named Sue likes this.
  7. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Thats the abyss. :D One cannot be without a hairdo and a hairdo cannot conceptually be without the man.

BallisticSquid likes this.
  8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    I think that reality is fundamentally the same for everyone. The way people perceive it, is a night and day difference.

But that doesn't change the actual reality.

Just because someone thinks so, doesn't mean they can imagine their way into actually flying without wings, having super strength, etc. (like the Matrix)

But peoples' brains can get so distorted that they might believe that. Perspectives vary dramatically, reality does not.

...I guess if enough peoples' realities become distorted, that could become reality, in a way..

But certain things are set in stone. Laws of Physics, etc.

If anyone finds a way to manipulate reality to where the lawn mows itself in the summertime, that would be great.

9. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Is that picture real? Haha never seen that before

10. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Everything I see on the internet!

Semi seriously - Gravity, entropy, goodness/evil, the diatonic scale and dogs.

11. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Ive seen plenty of hairdos on women!!!:p

12. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
  13. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    the things I've seen in person and touched with my own feelers are the only real things to me.

everything else is just a state of being (feelings and emotions) or what someone else told me (history and facts), and that's open to all sorts of evolving personal shpilkes

14. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    Okay, on that note I'd like to take it a bit further because you mentioned goodness and evil.

How do you define what's evil?

And I'm not trying to sound profound I have actually thought about this and it's hard to verbally describe what evil is.

To me it depends on what society you live in, the time and Era, the type of values that constitute and are the pillars of said society that get to decide what's evil.

There's a book called Ordinary Men that will make you ponder on this question for a long while. We're not transparent to us, we do not know the depth of ourselves and how malicious we can get.

For example there are pictures of people who worked at concentration camps, there's this one picture of a group of people who work at one of these and are standing there hand in hand, smile on their faces. Behind them it's the concentration camp.

The question is then did these people know that they were evil, that their actions were evil? I doubt it, I assume if anything they thought they were doing an honorable job because it was considered so by the time and Era and society in which the lived in.

nickmsmith likes this.
  15. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Gonna try another whack at your question.

Yes we create our own reality.

However, dog **** is dog ****, not chocolate.

Somehow we have to reconcile this. Somehow our reality has to interface with what is physical in order for optimum survival to happen.

Thats all I got.

Enjoy your day.

nickmsmith and Guy Named Sue like this.
  16. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You can describe the height, width, depth and mass of an object, as defined by your unit of measurement. That's about it, everything else is conjecture. Especially since the function of your brain is not to make you more aware of things, but to eviscerate the amount of bits per second you perceive. You can artificially expand the amount of data you take in, but your consciousness has not evolved to process that much information at once. It has actually been argued that the human brain is about as complex as you can get without melting it down, much like a cpu. Are human inexorably driven toward human/computer merging?

< I did techno mix on this.

OK back to work.

Guy Named Sue and tery like this.
  17. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    Perception is reality .

18. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I don't worry about descriptions or classifications. There are no boxes to check in life. I know it when I see it.

tery likes this.
  19. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    One of the hardest questions in history. No way to answer without swerving into political/religious territory, though.

Though I will say that a good portion of what is considered evil by most, is done by the "good guys" and looked upon as good, in many, if not most major religious texts, and major empires/countries, throughout history. Plenty of examples, easy to find.

20. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Terra Incognito
    "If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, Infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things thro' narrow chinks of his cavern."

tery likes this.