Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How do you like your Tremolo Arms?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Coxon2323, Oct 9, 2018.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

When I read the title of the thread, I immediately thought, sautéed with onions and mushrooms.

rolandson and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

2. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2018
    Scotland
    Do you think adding springs to make the tremolo harder to push down helps with tuning stability?

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    The springs have to be tensioned to balance the pull of the strings, no matter how many you put on, if you float the bridge, If you deck it, it makes no difference how many springs you have.

4. tstone2

tstone2 Strat-Talk Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Southern Michigan, USA
    All but one of my Strat's are decked and I keep the trems on all slack so they fall away. My Deluxe is a 2 point and setup to float, getting used to that. The Talon is a Floyd dbl locking floater and Ibby is an Ibby stock dbl locking floater, very stable, impressive. I use Sperzel locking tuners to "help" tuning stability on the standard trems. I don't believe adding springs helps with tuning stability. YMMV. Peace !!

5. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2018
    Scotland
    I you think about it, there are inherent faults with tuning stability in the originally designed floated Strat tremolos, that is why the double locking tuners like the Floyd Rose was created in the first place, so players could be heavy handed with their tremolo arms but have it remain in tune.
    So with that inherent problem of the the floated synchronised tremolo going out of tune, decking the bridge is a good antidote to this fault....

6. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    @heltershelton put up a great video of whammy abuse a while ago. I can't find it though...

7. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2018
    Scotland

8. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-Talker

Aug 23, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    3 - Floating.
    1 - Decked.
    2 - in the case.

I keep my favorite player's floating, but pretty stiff. I'll use a decked or blocked, for a backup and different tuning.

9. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2018
    Scotland
    About the topic in general, I guess with everything in life you are going to compromise something for something else, so there will always be something you are not experiencing and you are missing out with. I suppose the best we can do is accept that and live with it....

Specific to this topic, a decked bridge means you get good tuning stability/guitar doesn't go out of tune when strings break, but you are missing out on the flutter and functionality of a sensitive tremolo...
    More springs means you get more stability but again you miss out on a tremolo that is easier to push down...

10. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2018
    Scotland
    An update on the guitar.
    It seems to be keeping in tune very nicely, I'm not saying that because it is decked it is staying in tune better, just that it is staying in tune well.
    It stays solidly in tune even with aggressive whammy usage so I'm happy, it still has that Strat tonal range through all pickups, it sounds like a strat and I get the most important feature to me, tuning stability. So I think, no reason to float the bridge unless problems occur..

Bob the builder likes this.

11. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    In a coffe cup...all of them other than the guitar dedicated to surf music.

Why, I dont like them. They sit too high normally and need to be bent to be useable, can cause tuning issues when used, and like a rag top on a camaro it ruins the look of a guitar...:eek: YMMV.

Respect to those that like em amd use them. There just not for this dude.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 8:41 AM

12. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2018
    Scotland
    Thanks for your contribution Jimi,
    I have gathered from playing last night that with my configuration it should be used just with chords, Whammying after a single note doesn't have that effectiveness that diving a chord does....

13. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK

14. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2018
    Scotland
    Hank's tremolo must be a very loose floating with maybe 2 springs to get that flutter on individual notes.. as I sad I cannot do that with my decked tremolos.
    It's a nice effect but not the end of th world if you can't do it.

15. Thrup'ny Bit

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Very doubtful, more likely played with heavy strings, 5 springs and over 60 years playing experience.

Jason99 and fezz parka like this.

16. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I play Jeff Beck Material so it’s a must IMG_2274.JPG

17. Coxon2323

Coxon2323 Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2018
    Scotland
    And how does that go for you? Are there tuning stability issues?

18. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Not flopping about. I like it to stay where I set it.
    I like 'em to float. The flutter and shimmer is essential to what I do.

All played on my wiggle stick Tele.

stratosdane and Thrup'ny Bit like this.