Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How good are AVRI American Vintage Reissue Strats?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MellowMeadow, Apr 15, 2012.

1. MellowMeadow

MellowMeadow New Member!

Apr 15, 2012
    Portland
    How good are AVRI American Vintage Reissue Strats? Has anyone gotten one? How is the finish (thickness ect.), pickups, small fret wires ect on them? Would you recommend it? Specifically the 57 strat.

2. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

Mar 31, 2010
    Lost Angeles
    They're wonderful guitars, but that's just my opinion. It all depends on you...

3. MellowMeadow

MellowMeadow New Member!

Apr 15, 2012
    Portland
    I mean, I own an old Squier from the 90's. So I do like strats, but I like to look into anything that I buy.

4. KnopflerFanatic

KnopflerFanatic Strat-Talker

the AVRI are a very popular line of strats. nitro finish, 7 1/2'' neck radius, vintage tuners, 21 frets, vintage fret wire, and a number of other specs. a bit pricey but i hear people really love them

5. Spin

Spin Strat-Talk Member

May 28, 2010
    UK
    If you like the vintage radius on the neck, then you'll love these guitars. They smell like a real instrument should too!
    In my opinion, it's a no brainer for the money. (Just check the build quality before buying one though, as I'm about to return my third Fender USA in 2 years?!) Another thread, another story!

6. MellowMeadow

MellowMeadow New Member!

Apr 15, 2012
    Portland
    I was thinking about buying on ebay, bad idea?

7. Spin

Spin Strat-Talk Member

May 28, 2010
    UK
    Not if you can actually see what you're buying first?! Up to you, but I would want to play it and check it over up close. Are you talking about a new or used one?

8. Naradajim

Naradajim Senior Stratmaster

Depends on the price, and the ability of the seller to prove authenticity. I love mine, a 57, but I bought it new with all the goodies and provenance. If I was buying on eBay, I would request a copy of the original receipt with matching serial number, and I wouldn't pay over 850' and it better have the G&G tweed case, all in perfect shape.

Journeyman Noodler

9. MellowMeadow

MellowMeadow New Member!

Apr 15, 2012
    Portland
    I would definitely try to go used

10. BigDipper15

BigDipper15 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2011
    NYC
    These are top of the line production guitars. There are even hot rod versions with more modern specs (9.5 radius, pups). I have a 57 and love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Strat Forum

11. Naradajim

Naradajim Senior Stratmaster

Just checked EBay and they are asking insane prices for the most part. Mine is a fiftieth anniversary 57 reissue Mary Kaye. I bought it in the box for 1299, just for reference. And the shop from which I bought is not known for discounted prices. It's a mother of a guitar, and beautiful, all gold hardware, worth every cent I paid, but I certainly wouldn't pay the current retail price for a 1997 or some such, which is what I'm seeing on the listings.

Journeyman Noodler

12. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

Apr 5, 2011
    Sun City, Az.
    Seems that the vintage fretwire is the main issue, I have an 05 Squier Standard, with thw vintage fret's, and I for one really like them, fells like a real Strat should feel!
    ..................poppa

13. Gburst

Gburst Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2011
    wyoming,Pa.
    They are excellent guitars, the closest you'll come to owning a real pre-CBS vintage strat. I have a ' 62 AVRI and I love it. If you can get a real nice used one for under a grand I'd say go for it.

14. 65strat

65strat Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2011
    LA
    You will never find one in decent shape for under $850. I bought my 62 10 years ago used for around $800 retail. They've only gone up since then. Mine is a 94 and I never see them for under $1100-1200 used, unless they've been trashed. Well worth it though I love mine.

Joel

15. CRaSH

CRaSH Strat-Talker

A '57 AVRI is a beautiful guitar, but so too are the '62s and if you're so-inclined, a good investment also. They're appreciating in value -as a rule.

If youre comfortable on the '57 style neck, you won't be sorry. If youve never played a 57 style neck, I recommend you find one first: they're not for everybody.

Good luck!

16. JLOC

JLOC Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2011
    Andover, MA
    I've had my 1987 '62 AVRI since new, coming up on 25 years. It has held up very well and still plays wonderful. It was my #1 for many years. I now have 6 Strats, 4 AVRI's. Besides the '87, I have a '97 and 2001 '62 and a 2001 '57. They are all very well made and I love the neck profiles. They also hold their value better than std models. $1200 and up is the going rate for recent used ones. I paid $600 new for my '87. The going rate for '80's models is now $2000 or more, depending on the Fullerton or Corona connection. Back then they were hand made and only 5 per day were produced, 4 out of 5 were '57's. So if you can get a good deal on a used one, it should never be worth less than you pay, as long as you take care of it.

17. smurfcaster

smurfcaster Strat-Talker

Nov 14, 2011
    Germany
    they are very good guitars, but: i compared it directly to the 50s classic player which i bought then. same specs for a third of the price.

18. Dynomark

Dynomark Strat-Talker

Mar 12, 2012
    Nottingham, UK
    Beautiful guitars, I've bought and sold a lot over the years, my current one which will stay with me til I die is a 57-07 Anniversary as mentioned above, bought recently in the UK for the crazy price of £700. Totally mint, unused since new with the candy unopened ;-) won't get played much..
    I had a "normal" white blonde ash 57 before that, and that was awesome too

19. 32soundz

32soundz Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2010
    In front of my amp.
    I love them, I'm lucky enough to have a 57 and a 62, will never sell either.Ever.

20. kaiserthegreat

kaiserthegreat Strat-O-Master

Oct 24, 2011
    California
    Oh kuefi...why do you gotta be THAT guy... :neutral: