Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

How many miles to kill a clutch??

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Last week I noticed slipping and revs going up when I pushed the gas pedal and then finally slowing down to catch up. I am not a mechanical genius but that neon sign in my brain saying "CLUTCH!!" was blinking on and off like crazy. I drive a nicely underpowered 4cyl Nissan Frontier which I bought because owners reported them to be mostly bulletproof. This clutch fail occurred at 73k miles which seems a little early, but I do drive in rush hour traffic on the way home from work in the morning and here in the Dallas area, you can find yourself in stop and go any time any route.

Now I have to learn to drive again. I guess I was used to a lot of slip. Now I am popping the clutch and going "wheeee!"

2. rich815

rich815 Strat-O-Master

It depends on your skill in shifting gears and riding the clutch. I remember clutches going on me around 80-90k in the day I drove shift cars. Had a gf who rode her clutch something fierce and she blew it out in 50k.

apm1991 likes this.
  3. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Been a long time, but there is usually an adjustment to get the "gription" back with a manual clutch.

Google the trucks year and model and add clutch adjustment and see....

Bob the builder and rgbedard like this.
  4. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Yo,

It's all about driver habit, environment & the quality of the parts fitted.

60,000 miles for a "city" car would be an average ball-park figure however IMO...Sometimes it's not the friction material that's worn away, but failed diaphragm springs, & or throw-out-bearings etc etc...

It doesn't matter what fails first though, as everything is usually replaced as a package.

Cheers,

Rastus

5. rgbedard

rgbedard Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 3, 2018
    Santa Cruz, CA
    When I was young and dumb, I wore out a clutch in an afternoon of beer-swilling mud running in my Datsun. Apparently, it wasn't always the wheels spinning in the mud ... I hope to exhibit a bit more common sense these days.

70K not a long time, but not unreasonable. I wore out another clutch in the same Datsun, bundle spotting papers in the hilly SF Bay Area in about 35K miles.

6. Dadocaster

Naw, this one was worn out. The driving I do in North Texas demands a constant and high degree of defensive driving. To safely enter, exit, avoid collisions, you have to use everything at your disposal including dropping a gear and sticking your foot in it. The long periods of inching along during rush hour pretty much force you to ride the clutch...

7. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    It depends on whose wife is driving the car.

808K likes this.
  8. henderman

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    You may get some more life out of it with an adjustment, it is a common complaint and easy fix, at least when I wrenched it was.

If you have not been hard on the clutch it may just need the adjustment if there is one.

9. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    i drove a standard in atlanta for ten years. i never ever rode the clutch.
    i did what the big truckers do when in traffic.....just creep along real slow and let the rest of the idiots speed up and slow down.
    there are just too many drivers out there who worry that......heaven forbid...... someone will get in front of them. OMG MY LIFE IS RUINED!!!!!
    hell, you aint goin nowhere.
    best thing to do is either do what the big truckers do or stop at a watering hole.

albala, stratman323 and rgbedard like this.
  10. Dadocaster

Too late...

Given the mileage and the conditions, does not seem that unreasonable to me, and now I am set for the foreseeable future.

11. Dadocaster

Yeah, yeah, wait, no....no.

Work from 10p to 630a in a stressful environment, NEED TO GET HOME AND SLEEP!!! Watering hole...gosh...no. :D

heltershelton likes this.
  12. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    well, you get home at the same time. once you learn the traffic.
    in atlanta it seemed someone had a bad wreck every single day on all the main roads.
    i liked sitting in a watering hole much better than sitting in traffic. i knew every one on the way home.

13. henderman

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    I have seen clutches last over 200K, I do not want to annoy you or tell you how to make your own choices but I was a tech for years and would love to see you save money and aggravation.

If it is a simple cable adjustment you can do it yourself....

jvin248 likes this.
  14. Dadocaster

My pussies get frantic if I don't get home on time.

15. Dadocaster

I know you to be a knowledgeable and helpful guy, I take no offense, already had the work done at an awesome hole in the wall garage owned by the family of a friend. Not going to cry over my course of action, may have been wrong, may have been right, but it's done.

Always thankful for your input.

16. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    That sucks. To me it sounds like it's a classical example of a worn out clutch. I've seen clutches fail after as little as 74k miles and I once owned a Saab 9000 that was still goung strong with its original clutch when I sold it after 217k miles. The Saab had been going mostly back and forth across the country.

17. Dadocaster

I have had clutches last a long time but mostly in compact cars. My truck is underpowered and heavy. That might explain it.

Cerb likes this.
  18. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Absolutely. I'm not sure about your particular car but some of the older Japanes cars were pretty cheap when it came to replacing clutches. I've owned a lot of cars because I made a habit of only buying cheap old crap with lots of miles, and I usually checked how expensive they were to service before I bought one. Clutches used to be one of the indicators.

19. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I knew someone who retired their car at a bit over 200,000 miles and it still had the original clutch. But I know that's probably an exception..

20. 808K

808K Strat-Talker

Apr 24, 2018
    Philly, USA
    My guess is you nailed it.

I drove a standard in bad DC rush hour traffic for a few years before selling the car for one with an automatic. No shame. If I were in the country I’d want the stick...city rush hour, I’m happy with the automatic. And my leg is happy about it.