Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How many of you gig?

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by jak_E_lee, Aug 25, 2017.

1. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    My brother in law said it best when he was hosting open mics and I was playing in the church choir...I had a much larger and more appreciative audience than he had! It certainly is a gig.

Tone Quest and mshivy like this.

2. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I gig about once a month with Fleetwood Mac Tribute band. There are 7 of us and some of us seem to travel a lot so, we dont play as much as Id like to.

I recently joined a Frank Zappa tribute band. That is super fun and challenging. Our first gig is a local one hour set opening for a small touring band. Looking forward to that. My wife doesnt like it. Sigh!

Been trying for months to form a dance/disco/funk project for weddings, parties and bars. Its been one thing after another with people losing interest, band members having personal issues, etc. Its looking like Im gonna have to wait till after the new year to try again. Not sure why it will take so long but, I like these people Im currently working with so Im gonna wait for now til they are ready to go.

liltimmy, jofish and mshivy like this.

3. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    On and off since I was 14. Garage (and attic) bands throughout highschool; first bar band / covers in the Army- playing 49er clubs, etc.; started writing in 1977 when I was stationed in Texas (won 2nd place in a local FM radio contest- didn't get me a contract or anything...LOL!); moving into the late last century; 1998 to 2003 originals band, gigging 4-6 times per month- got a little ahead of ourselves and never finished our 2nd CD, but we all really grew and learned (mostly how to blow a good thing) a lot. Cover band appropriately named Geezer from 2004 through 2009. Addiction finally caught up with me- ruined playing for me for a while...In 2010 I began recovery- currently clean and sober since then-aim to stay that way!

For the past 3 years I am lead guitarist for 2 worship bands at church; playing Worship songs 2 Sundays a month, and just started writing originals with my good friend / bass player Rick. Life has never been netter.

I was a Tele / Strat guy (G&L and Fender iterations) from the late 70s through 2011. I've recently discovered humbuckers (old dogs can learn new tricks) and my two number 1's are a Fender Strat (2013 Mystic 3csb), 2 CS69s and a humbucker in the bridge; and a 2000 Gibson Les Paul 490 / 498. Recently got a 2017 Gibson SG Standard T and put Fralin P92s in it. I may soon have 3 NUMBER 1's!! LOL

LOVE Fender amps- Deluxe Reverbs, Bassman, Supers. Use pedals sparsely- for years only a wah and a Keeley modded bluesdriver; now, a JRAD Archer, Fulltone Plimsoul; MXR Carbon Copy; MXR Script Phase 90 w/ LED. I use an ST300 strobe tuner; Fender Mustang amp and a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb handwired by George Alessandro are the only two amps I have right now.

GREAT reading everybody's line up and stories! GREAT posts!

Brian

4. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    No, not in bars anymore. Too old for the aggravation. I don't think I'd hang around anywhere to watch someone using backing tracks of pop music. I know people do it and it's a way to make it profitable but I'd rather see two people making music by themselves. Or one for that matter.

5. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

I gigged from '75 to 2015. Rock, blues, country, New Wave, power pop...whatever. Signed to Norman Whitfield's label in '79. Got an advance but the record was never released.
    Started writing for film and tv in the late 90's.

I'm retired now. Play for the coyotes and jackrabbits now. Best audiences ever. :D

Stark, amstratnut and davidKOS like this.

6. hogrider16

hogrider16 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 26, 2017
    Martinsburg, WV
    My first gig was at 13. I'm 59 and still playing gigs. I'll stop when I'm physically unable to play.

amstratnut likes this.

7. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    Haven't gigged since around 2000 - I'm on call too much to take any gigs. On call pay makes up for the loss in gig pay. I write and record instead now. No yearning at the moment to get back up on stage, I like my weekends off.

8. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    I gigged regularly till last year. Now I'm still gigging from time to time but I got out of a couple of bands to have time to write and produce a record with my project.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

9. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I've gigged as lead singer and guitarist in various bands from 1986 at age 16 to 2010, when I lost everything save for my '57 AVRI in an apartment fire, and from 2013-now. These bands ran the gamut from punk rock to blues-informed rock 'n roll to R&B to soul.

I landed here at S-T in July 2011, joined another band/project as a side man in 2013, broke my left hand and wrist in April, 2014....had my gear ripped off from our rehearsal spot later that same month, played the first Roguestock with @Rogue Bohemian, @tommytele and @oakhills three months later, joined a punk band over the holidays a year later, got run over by a car on 29 January 2016, played and covered lead vocals with the Roguestock band at Petaluma one year ago, got my mind blown by @heltershelton and @amstratnut, and sang with @Mansonienne, played lots of pickup gigs after that, and played with the Roguestock crew again, this time in Santa Rosa, where @Mr. Lumbergh and @Mansonienne really shined. Difference for me was, this time I was the keyboard player for the whole gig, which worked out quite well.

Now, as inspired by @amstratnut, I am attempting to put together a 60s-80s cover band and my own original hard rock band as well as working with the Roguestock crew, as RB is relocating to Northern California.

It's all good.

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

@Stark

Exciting stuff. Can't wait to hear it.