Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How many of you using Custom Shop 69' PU's

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by roadhog96, Dec 2, 2017.

1. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 11, 2017
    CT
    What can I expect from these PU's? I mostly play 60's and a little 70's Rock N Roll and honestly, I don't remember what 69' PU's sound like from back in 69, that was a long time ago. I'm thinking these might get me the right tone for my music. I'd like to wire them up the same as my PU's now to the 5-way switch only add another switch so I can have N-B and N-M-B. I'm not crazy about the middle PU being out of phase and my bridge is extrememly hot and besides, I have a Strat style G&L S500 with this same set up. Any info, ideas or tips would be great, thanks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

2. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    Those pickups attempt to reproduce the sound that Jimi made in the late '60's, from what I have read. There are Youtube videos out there you can check out. You should also google "Fezz Parka blender circuit".

Silvercrow likes this.

3. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    I sorted through a bunch of Fender grey bottoms including Pure Vintage '65s, Custom/Custom Shop '69s (some 'AY's), Custom Shop '60s, and Custom Shop '66s.
    After mixing and matching, the 3 I put together included 2 AY '69s for the neck and bridge.
    I also found a fairly uncommon AY Custom Shop '60s RPRW for the middle.
    This set works very nicely together, very bright which is what I was aiming for.
    Worth the effort and proves (to me) that the CS '69s are among Fender's best for a vintage '60s clone.

I should note that the resistance readings ranged from 5.3k to 6.1k.
    The ones I selected were 5.7k, 5.7k and 6.1k.
    This just means that although the '69s are rated @ 5.8k the actual measurement will vary due to wire thickness and wind count.
    The values below about 5.6k didn't provide any additional brightness in my rather unscientific listening tests.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    They are bright, articulate, low output, and IMO sound very good.

Nate D, Doghouse_Riley and Groovey like this.

5. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Stratmaster

Dec 10, 2012
    CA
    I put a set of the AY "signed" CS69's (initialed in late 2007 not that it matters) in my road worn. I prefer 57/62's and sold the CS69's. They were ok, but just seemed a tad brittle to me. I only tried them in that one guitar though.

6. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    Can't beat vintage 'under wound' pick ups. My favourite.

Doghouse_Riley likes this.

7. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Strat-O-Master

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    I have them in the neck and middle on my Strat; a humbucker in the bridge. Tone is very subjective, but, to me, the neck CS69 is JUST what I wanted! As previously stated, they are supposed to replicate Jimi's nuanced tone. My Am. Std. came with Fat 50s, which I didn't like at all (although it seems most folks do...).

They are more biting than the Fat 50s, but I do not find them to be brittle or harsh; there again, I am not afraid to roll off the treble / tone knobs. And with a overdrive, such as my Archer- there is a sweet spot which, to me, is heaven.

Some folks don't like that the middle is not reverse wound. I don't use positions 2 or 4 and I don't use the middle pickup on my Strat at all (just keeping a place, as it were; I could remove it but it would look stupid, IMO).

Fralin and Lollar both have versions, IIRC, that have reverse wound middles. But check for yourself. They are a bit more pricey!

Best wishes in whatever you decide!

8. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    I put them in an MIM that had original pickups. I wanted that Hendrixy sound: full, rich with some chime and spank. I am super happy with them. Just what I was hoping for. I have 57/62's in my other MIM and while I like them I like the CS69's just a little better. Both are fantastic, vintage sounding pickups.

I did the Fezz Parka blender mod to the Strat with the 57/62's. I liked it so much I'm getting ready to do the same to the CS 69 Strat this weekend.

9. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    My CP60s Strat came with the Custom 69s. I agree with the conclusion above, too bright & brittle for me, I prefer the 57/62s. But many people seem to love them. They remind me of the 1980s grey bottomed Tokai pickups.

10. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I don’t have them, but a buddy and I often loan each other guitars we have as we both have some cool ones and he loaned me one of his Strats with the CS 69’s in it and they’re great pickups. I’d recommend them if you’re after that classic chimey Strat tone.

11. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2009
    Florida
    I have them in my main partscaster. Really nice pickups. Very "what a strat sounds like" pickups. I have the second tone knob wired to the bridge and a series parallel switch that is a nice addition. I kick around doing something different in the bridge but kinda don't want to mess a good thing.