Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How many people over 50 are just starting to play?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by texred, Jan 27, 2017.

How many people we got here that are AARP members, and just beginning guitar?

1. How many late bloomers?

63.3%
  2. How may have previous musical experience?

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    Since this site seems to have a lot of, uh, late starters, like myself, I have been thinking a lot about this.

2. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    I started at 62, it's never too late (if you have reasonable expectations)

TRex13, brians, skypeace and 5 others like this.

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    As a guitar teacher, the only people I've had no success with are the ones over about 55 who 'always wanted to play and want to learn before it's too late'. It's only been 3 students, but they were easily my least successful.

Don't have any commentary other than that, because I think people can do anything they want to . . . if they work hard at it.

Steve Holt, Barb, albala and 4 others like this.

4. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    THAT was a pain in the butt. And they would allow me to use "50", as in over 50 yo
    I hate polls. I've just been really wondering about this. No, you may only use one personality.

5. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    I'm a little confused. SOP. Did you say you had success with these people or did not? First sentence says hopeless. Please clarify

6. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    I have previous musical experience but it was limited and looooong ago: piano from age 10-18, but I didn't practice much, and guitar very briefly - a few weeks? couple of months, max - when I was 17.

I work pretty hard and I think my teacher is pleased with my progress. I know I'm a better student than my son...:p
    (But I'm still under 55 hee hee:D)

7. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Southern Idaho, US
    I played for a few years at 36, then decided to really learn it at 49. Long way to do. (I still love video games too) :)

jimyjazz, nitro, texred and 3 others like this.

8. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    Never mind. I finally got it. This AIN'T a happy friday.
    Ah well. Fake it till you make it. copyright

montemerrick and Jigglebone like this.

9. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    Yeah-
    3 years of semi lessons, semi sober, but lacking the guitar. 40 years ago.
    You, my leetle fren, are not a noob. That shoulda been in title, but I hate that word. I hate polls, oh yeah I already said that.

10. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Oops, no not AARP member... sorry...but I did start after 50 so thought that would count...:oops:

I think I qualify as a noob...

Jigglebone and texred like this.

11. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    I got it, I got it.

12. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    I got it got me
    whatEVER!:D

13. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    Well I never woulda guessed. You must have kickass genes or one helluva muse . . .off course you count. Can't skew my science-1 yr advanced stats in grad skul

Mansonienne likes this.

14. lonegroover

lonegroover Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2016
    England
    Never heard of the AARP. I'm 56, and have been playing since I was 14. But take heart, late starters. I'm still rubbish.

brians, jimyjazz, albala and 6 others like this.

15. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    They made me hafta say that, coz they kept kickin back ''50", so I had to revise. What amendment WAS that?

16. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Yeah, I've heard you play. I aspire to be one-quarter as rubbish as you someday.
    (AARP - American Association of Retired Persons)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    jimyjazz, lonegroover and ocean like this.

17. texred

texred Bird Doggin' It

Nov 29, 2016
    Chihuahuan Galaxy
    Guess AARP is not int'l. Buncha crap aimed at over 50. And that was another dark story. What kind of motivation is "still rubbish"?!? :eek: :eek::eek:

18. Mansonienne

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    It's British self-deprecating humo(u)r.

Yaralag likes this.

19. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    No, zero success. The two men had terrible coordination, and the lady did okay with the first chords, but just wouldn't practice.

Nate D likes this.

20. xland

xland Senior Stratmaster

Oct 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Not quite 50 but I did start late, at age 45. I can definitely see why so many people don't see it through, it's hard to learn. Especially learning later in life considering you are trying to teach your hands and mind to do things they have never been asked to do before. Not too mention that we have "lives" to lead (work, family, etc.) so practice time is not plentiful.

I've wanted to learn to play for 30 years before I actually made the commitment, I honestly knew that I did not have the drive to see it through until a few years ago. At that point I was all in on learning and even though the first 6 - 12 months were very difficult and slow for my development, I did see improvement and that drove me to continue on.

It really needs to be a passion for someone to improve because it can't be done without tons of repetition, long stretches of not seeing much improvement but enjoying the small victories along the way. I've come a long way in 2 1/2 years but it's painfully obvious I still have a looooooong way to go...which is actually a good thing because it keeps me motivated.

On a side note, one of my biggest gripes with telling people (who don't play guitar) that I play guitar is that they feel I "should" be able to do and play things that I can't or still struggle with today. They have no concept of how difficult it is to learn guitar and how we all learn at different rates. :mad:

I think it's great that "we" have finally taking the plunge to learn guitar and to know that there are others just like us and a forum where we can share our experiences (and music) without being ridiculed. :thumb:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017