Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How many people over 50 are just starting to play?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by texred, Jan 27, 2017.

How many people we got here that are AARP members, and just beginning guitar?

1. How many late bloomers?

63.3%
  2. How may have previous musical experience?

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Strat Fumbler Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 30, 2010
    The stolen land of the Iceni
    Came back at 55 after an illness enforced break, but not a noob. My left hand doesn't work so well these days so I usually sound like a beginner - fumbled chord changes, accidental muting and buzzing etc. Things are slowly improving, just got to keep telling myself I used to be pretty slick so if I try hard enough I'll someday do it again.
    We don't have AARP on the side of the pond but we do have SAGA for the over 50s. Anyone who can figure out which way round to hold a guitar is too exciting for them, so I quit after they'd bashed my wallet for a year. Never found out what SAGA means but I believe it's Sex Annually, Generally August. ;)

ocean and oldfartatplay1320 like this.

2. Basejumper22

Basejumper22 Strat-Talker

Jan 31, 2016
    Ireland
    I started playing at forty , will be forty five soon , have made some progress don't consider myself a player , to scared / shy to gig , hopefully consider myself a player by the time I'm 50 . Even if I don't having fun learning , some day it will happen .

ocean and larscaster like this.

3. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

Age is just a number...but, then so is my bank account balance. I don't think that helps my point. Nevermind.

4. oldfartatplay1320

oldfartatplay1320 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Gatineau, Quebec
    I've had previous musical experience, but I laid off at age 55 due to depression. Started again at 62 with a pinched nerve in my left elbow, to work it out. Still have it, but it's diminishing. Never been great at playing, but hey, it passes the time pleasantly.

5. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    52 here, got my first guitar at around 9 and my first electric at around 12, but I sound like I just started playing, does that count?

Hash McBrown and larscaster like this.

6. StratLover66

StratLover66 Strat-Talk Member

Aug 7, 2015
    Boston
    Actually, it's a lot worse that we think. Studies on musical instruments have shown that the best players start before puberty. Puberty seems to change our ability to learn subtle nuances that are seemingly missed once puberty is over. Accents were the closest analogy. Children who learned languages before puberty had very little or no accent. Those who learned after puberty couldn't shake their accent after 50 years immersed in the language. Same for musical instruments. Anyone can get good technical ability if starting after puberty, but will never quite sound as natural as those that started before or during the change. That puts a lot of us in less-than-optimum starting position, so just enjoy.

ocean likes this.

7. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster

Jan 20, 2017
    Southern Idaho, US
    I go back and forth. I'll drop it for a few months and then go back for a while.

8. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

My first instrument was air guitar.

Jigglebone and ocean like this.

9. Tsquared

Tsquared Strat-Talk Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Florida
    Figures. That puberty thing has caused me a lot of trouble over the years.

oldfartatplay1320 likes this.

10. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 10, 2012
    stamford, CT
    pre-internet, I bet there were very few over-50 guitar newbs

I've had guitar students of all ages. I find the older ones have the most trouble making chords while they understand what's going on musically while younger students can make the chords but they have trouble grasping the concept of theory.

I started at 12, floundered til 19 when I took a Jazz course in college. From then on, guitar became an essential component of my life.

....my son is 19 months old today and he's already got 'the bug'

[​IMG]

ocean likes this.

11. Eardoc

Eardoc Strat-Talker

Jan 29, 2017
    New York
    In the same boat. I'll be 50 in September. I'm dedicated tonight learning. Still on my acoustic. I started playing...make that practicing in October.

I agree it's the little things that keep me going. Having a pristine sounding barre chord, smooth chord transitions are a huge step. Little by little the progress is seen.

I love it.

12. Blues Trucker

Blues Trucker Strat-O-Master

Dec 31, 2014
    On the road again
    You can lie to yourself, but I aint buying it. ;)

Kodiak54 likes this.

13. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster

Jan 20, 2017
    Southern Idaho, US
    Mine too. I still have the one I got as a kid, but I'm hoping to trade it on a Fender or maybe Craigslist it for enough cash to get something I really want! :0

14. Paully

Paully Strat-O-Master

Oct 16, 2014
    Maine, USA
    55 yo was always a singer. Want to try accompany myself.

15. avri70

avri70 Strat-Talker

May 29, 2014
    planet earth
    Not 50 yet, but in a few years I will be. Started playing at 43 or something.
    Cant say I dont make progress, but it's slow.
    It might have to do something with being less eager to play guitar than teenagers, for a lot of them might strive for a musical career as a guitarist, and there is a whole big wide open future fir them lying ahead for them to do so.

16. texred

texred Guest

Huh. Is Bonnie Raitt reasonable??

17. texred

texred Guest

How the hell did I get here? Mansonienne, you messin w/me?

18. texred

texred Guest

Is Bonnie Raitt reasonable? coulda sworn i already typed that

19. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    It is easier to learn when you are young, of course it is, absolutely anything that is drilled in during the ages 6-20 are going to go in easier than anytime thereafter.

It can still be done for the older people, but it will take more time and more practice, let's just arbitrarily say 3 hours for every 1 hour that a 14 year old needs to make the same progress.

And therein lies the rub, for people at that age like myself. I've got a full time job, and a family so I must keep them happy first. Then I have all the other social expectations on me plus chores and home maintenance. I also get tired and need a little brainless vegging time. So the time left to go an practice is quite small. Do young people have more time with school and study? Maybe if they don't study and their social life is mainly playing music with other people.

That's the standard stuff that is typical of people my age. Now, in addition to that I have a second job, run a business on the side, support my daughter's increasing equestrian activity and divide my life between two countries.
    I have a lifelong obsession with learning new things and I'm always reading and trying to get my head round stuff.
    And I post on strat-talk.

Almost any kind of dexterity or coordination problem can be overcome by practice. I am 100% sure that I would be a much better player if I was retired and or single.

Mansonienne likes this.

20. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France
    Well that's just cheered me right up!!! :confused: I did some piano before puberty...and maybe some air guitar....:p

Hash McBrown and ocean like this.