Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How many people over 50 are just starting to play?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by texred, Jan 27, 2017.

How many people we got here that are AARP members, and just beginning guitar?

1. How many late bloomers?

63.3%
  2. How may have previous musical experience?

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's not much of a zombie. Only a few zombie months old.

Mansonienne and Viking like this.

2. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I think a year counts as Zombie.

Mansonienne likes this.

3. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    T Bone Slort and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

5. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Idaho
    I am 56 and I started several years before that but sadly enough I never stuck with it long enough to get any good at it until the last couple of years. I still struggle but I enjoy it very much regardless.

Mansonienne, Viking and T Bone Slort like this.

6. TConnelly

TConnelly Strat-Talk Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Sandy, Or.
    I too have been a mechanic of one sort or another or an operating engineer all of my adult life. From cars to motorcycles back to cars to cranes to tug boats to dredges and back to cars again. I can sympathize with Nitro on the hands issues.

I'm 57, been playing guitar for two years and I've been taking lessons most of that time. I can say without a shadow of a doubt that it's the hardest thing I've ever tried to do. Nothing comes easy, everything is a complete battle to learn. It really came as a bit of a shock. I was #1 on my high school tennis team, I was a fairly accomplished off road motorcycle rider and motocross racer. A fair golfer, built my own golf clubs. A fairly accomplished fly fisherman, Built my own flyrods. Taught my boys to build theirs as well. One of my boys is now an iFFF certified casting instructor in both single hand and two hand fly casting. I would swear that none of those things were this difficult to learn.

I also agree with Nitro about working on guitars. love it! I have 6 already. Got a Jazzmaster on the way, supposed to be delivered tomorrow.

Anyway I wanted to turn some of the other late learners onto a series of articles written by a practicing neurologist and banjo player. No affiliation just something I found from another forum; http://clawhammerbanjo.net/the-immutable-laws-of-brainjo-the-art-and-science-of-effective-practice/ Its about learning banjo but 99% of it can apply to any instrument or any thing for that matter that you're trying to learn. Just substitute guitar for banjo and 6 string for 5 string and you'll be golden :) .

Cheers.......................Todd

7. slash1814

slash1814 Strat-Talker

Oct 1, 2017
    India
    I hear you :)
    -Coming back from office after struggling issues and traffic..then..slide out the padel board from underneath the bed..connect and get started with something...and yes attending to wife and kid intermittently..an hour of it..that sometimes goes somewhere ..sometimes not.
    I am 39. Don't worry my friend that child or the youth in us is still alive :)

xland and T Bone Slort like this.

8. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talker

Oct 6, 2017
    Tokyo
    I started at 47, which is three years ago. I am now what my music school calls an “intermediate” player.

When I began, I was committed to learning, and take it seriously. I practice for no less than an hour each day, and it is a good way to unwind after a long day. I take a one hour class every week.

I play a mix of electric and acoustic, and am now learning a little classical. I’ve performed before an audience a few times without screwing up too badly.

Progress is occurring, and with each passing month I am playing better, and am able to try new things. As a later-life hobby, music is not bad, if you take it seriously.

Mansonienne, xland and T Bone Slort like this.

9. jazzman1021

jazzman1021 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Earlville, IL 60518

10. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Here here me also

11. T Bone Slort

T Bone Slort "I have a cunning plan" Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 7, 2014
    Gibsons British Columbia
    When my wife asked me a few weeks before my 65th birthday what I might like, I blurted out "an electric guitar".
    Well that was almost 5 years ago and I'm still climbing over those walls that are always cropping up... and loving it.
    It's a trip I'm glad to be on.

Oh and yesterday she asked me what I wanted for my 70th. :D:D

12. gilpi

gilpi Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2017
    usa
    Is this solely for AARP members? So Im in my 60's, been fooling around with guitars since my teens yet I can't get passed 4-5 chords before screwing up. Problem is I never took it seriously enough till in my late 50's. At this stage of my life I'll never gig but I can see some improvement every time I pick up a guitar as long as I practice daily.

13. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I'm 60.5 and started playing guitar at age 4. For some reason it came easily to me.
    I started teaching at age 12.

nitro and sssstratsss like this.

14. nitro

nitro Strat-Talk Member

Mar 2, 2017
    ocala fl
    Thats so cool man. Unfortunately for me, I was never gifted with any real talent. But thats exactly what I hope to foster and grow in my grandsons. At least they’ll have the instruments and oppurtunnities that I didn’t when I was little.

And hopefully they both will want to try. That would be a wonderful legacy for me for sure.

RPKennedy likes this.

15. Hash McBrown

Hash McBrown Senior Stratmaster

Mar 15, 2012
    Southern Illinois
    You're lucky. As soon as I start to practice the dog decides it's time to go for a walk.

16. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    It’s hard to learn new stuff when you’re past a certain age, but it’s not that hard to build on stuff you can already do. I started playing at 18 and I played a ton for about 8-10 years. I never got really good but I could hold my own playing rhythm and pentatonic based lead in the rock and blues/rock bands I played with at the time. And I had a freaking blast. And then I took 30 years largely off. I got back into it a couple times but just for a month or two each time - I just didn’t have the time and/or desire to stay with it.

Cut to about a year ago when I started playing my acoustic a lot again, got callouses back, and got my facility with open chords back. And then about 6-7 months ago I dove back into electric playing, deeply and heavily. And I’m frankly seeing a lot of progress at the stuff I could already sort of do. My rhythm playing and chord vocabulary is considerably better than it’s ever been. And my lead playing is less facile - I’ve lost a lot of the speed and dexterity I had as a kid - but I’m playing with a lot more taste and musicality and have gotten completely comfortable moving between minor and major pentatonic stuff than I ever used to be. And even moving somewhat beyond pentatonic scales as I’ve internalized more of the connections I’m seeing and hearing on the fretboard. So I’ve gotten notably better at what I could already do.

But I’ve never learned to fingerpick and have always wished I had. And so I’ve been trying in this past year. And I’m getting roughly nowhere with it. It’s a brand new thing to me and I just don’t seem to have the discipline to get there. Since I can already make something like music using other approaches, when I have a guitar in my hands I just can’t make myself keep doing something I suck at when it’s just so easy to start strumming and flatpicking and getting sounds I like out of the instrument. I’m gonna keep trying to try, but I’m not honestly optimistic about learning this brand new trick as an old dog. I can improve and refine the tricks I already knew, but starting from scratch just isn’t happening. So I’m probably not gonna take up the saxophone either...

-Ray

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    garyhoos1, brians, Viking and 2 others like this.

17. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    I started at around 14, played semi seriously till around 28 or so, married kids etc so only really started to re learn about 5 years ago, good thing is though, when you older, it's not just about making a big noise , if you take one thing at a time and learn it well it turns out good. I now try to get rid of all my bad habits and learn again very slowly and, wow I was pretty bad, could bull**** a drunken bar room but it was horrible. Now I play mostly clean and concentrate on doing it right. Best thing is you can never master it, but can get it sounding right ......It's a fantastic passion , three chords or a life time songbook....enjoy......

xland likes this.

18. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I must admit to being in this fine group of on againers after quite a long hiatus. ;0)

In the old days it was about playing a few riffs, a few chords and having fun.

It still is ,but adding scales to the mix this time has completely changed the journey !

ocean likes this.

19. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    Played, unseriously, for a long time and have completely laid off the guitar for an equally long time. I'm 63 and have begun playing again. It's like starting from scratch.

ocean likes this.

20. brians

brians Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Scratch can be a good place to start again sometimes

ocean likes this.