Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How often do you change your DD?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by LPBlue, Jan 10, 2019.

1. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    I tend to keep cars (used) for 5~10yrs and usually dump them when the vehicle asks for more money than a new car will cost. I've had great and I've had bad but on the whole been lucky as I am the wrench and I know what to look for. I will keep a good pickup for 10yrs but cars not so much.

Your stories?

gwjensen, Miotch and Silvercrow like this.
  2. Bodean

Bodean Just A Simple Man Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    I drive them till the damn tires fall off, then shoot, rinse, repeat.

gwjensen, Bowmap, amstratnut and 6 others like this.
  3. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    I buy 10 year old trucks and drive them for 6-10 years. My current '05 Tundra may last me longer than that.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    amstratnut, Silvercrow and LPBlue like this.
  4. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    My Toyota Tacoma 4x4
    Bought Oct 30 1999
    287,000 miles.

Mesaman, gwjensen, Silvercrow and 3 others like this.
  5. AncientAx

AncientAx Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 24, 2010
    Maryland
    2003 154,000 still going strong ! 2D7A2C04-A643-4EED-92CA-B633768EDBEC.jpeg

6. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

I'm a putz. I know squat about cars. Spouse is close to a fellow expat who services Toyotas exclusively...and one Subaru...her's. So when the Prius that I drive needs it's oil changed, it goes to him.

I hate driving. When the drive batteries go on this thing, I'm done. With luck, that will coincide with the moment that I determine that I shouldn't be driving anymore...

But in general, I've kept cars only as long as they serve me, not vice versa.

93-Strat and Silvercrow like this.
  7. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    I'm currently using an 05 Kia Optima with 177k on it that I bought in 06. I'm shooting for 300k. That's my work car

For other than work it's an 09 Corolla that i got in '13-14. It only has 44k, if that. So that one may be a lifetime keeper unless I fall into a pile of money

gwjensen, Silvercrow and LPBlue like this.
  8. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    Drive them onto the ground, then dig them out and drive them some more. Cars are a necessary evil to me, to be used only when it's too cold to ride.

gwjensen, Bodean, circles and 2 others like this.
  9. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Drive till dead; or when repairs begin to equal or exceed the amount of times I change oil...LOL!

We buy used and try to pay cash. August 2017 I bought a '15 Toyota Corolla with 13,000 miles for $13,500. Paid cash- felt SO good. (Had been saving for years, mind you!) Immaculate condition; around here "CarSense" has dealerships with low mileage vehicles and no BS pricing. It didn't have cruise control, but had power windows and doors- all I need. AND most cars have the wiring and mounts for stuff like cruise already "there" usually behind a panel, etc. The Cruise control stalk cost me $70.00 and my buddy installed it for $30.00.

My previous car? a 2000 Buick LeSabre- had 80,000 miles when I bought it for $2000.00 privately from an older woman who could not drive anymore. I drove it until a friend's daughter needed wheels badly and right away. Sold it to her for 500$ only had 140,000 miles- recent inspection and running great.

My wife drives a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander with 160,000 on it. We've had it since new. We are hoping to put a major portion of money down on a 2-3 year old model soon. She drives a lot and in all sorts of conditions so we'll be getting her an SUV- hopefully a Honda or Subaru.

Unless I'd win the lottery, there will be no more new cars for us. TOO expensive and equity imbalanced, IMO.

GREAT hearing the stories here! Good thread!

Brian

gwjensen and LPBlue like this.
  10. stratnutz

stratnutz Senior Stratmaster

Apr 10, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Ive had 5 Mustang GT's in a row,
    99 04 06 and now a 14, never done nothing but basic maintainence to them.
    I drive them over 100k and move on as the resale is good when clean condition.

LPBlue likes this.
  11. LPBlue

Jul 19, 2012
    You need to talk to Slort!

stratnutz likes this.
  12. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Working on cars is a hobby of sorts. Currently 3 driveable AND valid plates, 2 projects. In the past 10 years I think I've had 10 cars titled in my name that I don't have anymore. Current projects: a 1994 S10 and a 1974 VW Beetle.

I have an 86 Toyota MR2. I paid $1500 for it in 2008, when it had 200k miles on it. The first engine went bad at 270k miles, I replaced the engine. Got hit (and totaled, even though it just bent a couple panels) and I fixed it. It's my favorite car I've ever driven.

I have an 88 Chevy C1500 diesel with 240k miles. I accepted it as payment for legal work in 2007. The wheels fell off it in 2010 (literally--ball joint failure) and I put 'em back on. It's what I use to tow my projects home. I've even towed my MR2 a couple times.

And I have a '70 MG Midget. It's tagged, but I don't think I've started it since summer 2016. Probably needs a battery again. It was my dad's, I may give it to one of my kids if they're interested but I won't ever sell it.

13. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    Depends

'05 ford truck for dump runs and home projects low miles paid for - want to replace for new technology

'18 Accord to commute

'11 Pilot wives vehicle, great for the grandkid shuffle

Sold the Vette so am looking for a full size luxury car, that is easy to get in and out of, for touring

14. LPBlue

Jul 19, 2012
    Been there so many times...I'm done with the Cadillacs etc. When things go wrong I know exactly what the car will do...it will get worse again after you fix it!:rolleyes: Those cars eventually say "oh yeah, well try this now".:sneaky:

jrbirdman likes this.
  15. 808K

808K Strat-O-Master

Apr 24, 2018
    Philly, USA
    My car is a 2005 with a 140k miles on it.
    Wife’s car is a 2006 with 140k miles on it.
    We have a 2002 car with 130k miles on it that we keep around for the kids.

We have all the maintenance done as recommended. The cars all run great!

Yup, we keep our cars for a long time!

16. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    DD = daily driver I suppose.

I like to buy new and I keep them at least 5 years and preferably over 100k miles. The only car I traded in with less than 100k miles was my 2012 Volvo S60...had almost 80k on it. My plan was to keep that car for 10 years...I really enjoyed that car. In the last year it started to turn into a maintenance headache and the final straw was it consuming a quart of oil every 1,000 miles! I live too far from the dealer to deal with the back and forth of fixing that! Not cheap either!! Googling showed this to be a common issue.

The first new car I ever owned was a '89 Honda Civic hatchback. Funny how things go full circle because that's what I'm driving now...just got it last Friday. A fun peppy car to drive and feels like its on rails! It also costs about half what my old car cost me in gas :).

My wife gets an itch every 4 or 5 years for a new car and that's usually at the 50k miles mark. With a growing family, it worked out, but with this last one...I'm wishing she'd keep it longer.

17. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-O-Master

Jul 25, 2017
    ABQ
    2007 Kia suv 90k miles, bought used 2009. I expect at least 10-15 more years from it.

I don't maintain it as well as it deserves.

gwjensen likes this.
  18. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    If it's a pickup truck, I keep it until they have to tow it off. But, at about 250,000 (Nissan now has 305,000), it is no longer the daily driver. Buy my wife a new car, then I drive her old one until hers is paid off. Then I trade mine in on her a new one and I get hers. So for daily drivers, probably somewhere around 150,000-180,000. Unless its a transmission or warranty, I fix them myself. I just hope it's not ever a transmission because I've had two rebuilt in my life: A turbo 350 in 1981 that cost $300. A Ford transmission in 2010 that cost $2,500 !! Traded the stupid car in 6 months later and got $4,000 for it.
    I'm budgeted for one steady car payment. Kind of hoping when her current one is paid off in about 7 months that we'll go a year before making the car rotation.
    Although newer cars are harder to work on, my God do they last longer than the ones did when I grew up. I think electronic fuel injection is one reason engines last longer (don't wash out the rings) and unleaded fuels (once they solved the valvestem lubrication--tetraethyl lead ate the crap out of the aluminum in rod and main bearings) are two big reasons. Plus just better metals and machining tolerances.
    BUT, it sure doesn't take much of a fender bender these days to rack up a $7,000 body shop bill, either.

LPBlue likes this.
  19. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Ive had my 2000 tundra 10 years. Hoping for 10 more.

gwjensen and LPBlue like this.
  20. Bowmap

Bowmap I Nose A Thang or Two Gold Member

Dec 23, 2017
    TBD
    4 vehicles and only one with less than 50K miles on it.

2004 212K Hers
    2007 163K Mine
    2009 146K MIne
    2017 43K Hers