Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

How possible/easy is this mod?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by musojosh, Oct 18, 2018.

1. musojosh

musojosh New Member!

Oct 18, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey guys,
    So I have a 72 tele deluxe with a Lollar Regal Wide Range pickup in the neck. But im having massive shoulder back issues at the moment so am thinking of changing to a slimmer, lighter strat with a less chunky neck. But I would love to keep that lollar regal sound in the neck.

First mod question: how hard is it to create a cavity for a wide range pickup in a typical strat - and then find an appropriate pick guard.

Second mod question: how hard is it to adjust a HB cavity for a wide range pickup in a HSH strat - and then find an appropriate pick guard.

Third mod question: is it beyond ridiculous (or next to impossible) (or way too expensive) to also have a single coil strat neck pickup in there? It would probably be on the hotter end of the spectrum to come close to matching the output of the lollar. So the single coil would be closest to the neck, then the wide range directly after it - tiny gap. Then the pickup selector chooses between the two, not both on at the same time. I've never seen it, and assume I'll get hefty abuse from purists... but it would seem to be the ultimate guitar for my needs.

I rarely use the bridge position. But would still use the out of phase middle strat positions occasionally.
    Alternatively, a SHH config? Neck single coil, wide range HB middle, standard or WR HB bridge (for the occasional rock gig).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Beyond installing/soldering new pickups, i have very little guitar tech skills so have no idea.

Thanks!

2. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    I would start by finding one of the American Strats that had a swimming pool route. Someone will know what years those were, I don't. After that I'm sure there are several places you can order a pick guard cut to your desires.

It shouldn't be too difficult.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    If you like the 72 Tele Deluxe, why not get a 72 Tele Thinline? Then you can enjoy the pickups you like in a much lighter guitar.

jaybones likes this.
  4. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2016
    the Bozone
    As to the sound of your beloved pickup, keep in mind that position is vital. A strat neck pickup sounds very different if moved from the 24th fret position even a little bit. You won't be able to get both in one guitar and have it sound right. A good excuse to get another guitar.

jaybones likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Most MIM Strats are routed for HSS or even HSH -- so I'd start there. The MIAs will be more challenging to find as players want 'vintage' features and worry about wood cuts other than SSS, one or two pieces of wood glued together, and push-back cloth wires 'n things. You could look on Stratosphere for different bodies and probably find what you need.

Most Wide-Range modern pickups are just regular humbuckers with offset screw poles rather than the originals which I believe are slightly larger than standard humbuckers (plus used different magnet poles that are unavailable today).

Look for Spectrum brand and Starcaster by Fender and some Squiers for HSH and swimming pool routes too.

As for cutting a body to fit whatever you want to put in, remove all the hardware, put masking tape down in the area and draw out your cut lines. Get four boards and clamp to the body to match the rectangle you drew (make sure to clamp outside the router foot and handles clearance), then route in that pocket with a bearing router cutter.

jaybones likes this.
  6. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    That's a LOT of trouble to go through just to find out that a wide range Tele pickup (likely) won't sound the same in a Strat.
    Strats are differently built in several ways. People who install bridge pickups in a Strat find that they don't sound the same as they did in a Tele also; so...
    Better to find a light Tele and use that. They exist. Or have one built out of light wood. You could ask Warmouth or Best Guitar Parts in Tacoma, Wa or USACG etc.
    Pine wood may be the answer for light weight.

S Mac

fezz parka and The Strat Dude like this.
  7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I think I suggested that in post #3.....

8. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

+1

I have a Squier CV Thinline and love it (even w/o humbuckers ;))!!

9. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    Yes you did.
    I wanted to give a bit more explanation why, and suggest pine.. Also a thinline is not really lighter; or not much in most cases.

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I have three Thinline Teles, all of which are significantly lighter than ordinary Teles.

11. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    Fair enough. My experience was different.
    I suppose the weights can vary quite a bit.

S Mac

12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Not really, they're fairly consistent. Take 3 MIM 69 Thinline Teles - weights of 5lb 13oz, 5lb 15oz & 6lb 2 oz. Those weights are remarkably consistent for any Fender guitar. And unusually light for a Tele.

For some strange reason, my Squire Vintage Modified Tele Thinline weighed more at 7lb 3oz. But that's still light.

13. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    @musojosh : there are USA Standards that are routed HSH also; both my 2013 and 2014 Strats were routed HSH. Someone here will be able to say what years are / aren't. And of course a swimming pool route will allow lots of flexibility!

Best wishes on your quest! Caveat Emptor- it probably won't sound too near a Tele with the same pickup config.

Brian

14. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have a different approach than has been brought up so far, and two different paths you could follow.

1: Squier. Affinity & Bullet Squiers often have thinner bodies (1.5" vs. 1.75"); if the body is 15% thinner the weight will be about 15% less (vs. another guitar made of the same wood, subject to individual variation etc). Most of the Squier strats are already routed HSH, and the Affinity in particular has a narrow neck. I think the Bullet models tend to be made of basswood, which is lighter weight. Weight can vary, try a few. And these are generally easy to find, used. I think every pawn shop in America has a couple of Affinity/Bullet strats for about $100.

The Lollar wide range is bigger than a standard pickup, it is possible you'll have to route it out a little bit to make it fit. Enlarging the route with a dremel is not that difficult, and if you make a hash of it, it's still covered up by the pickguard. Enlarging the opening in the pickguard is pretty easy IF you are using a trim ring made for your pickup, to cover up minor imperfections you make cutting the pickguard. If you don't want to use a trim ring, use a standard size humbucker. Warmoth sells a wide variety of pickguards to fit a wide variety of pickup options (but not the Lollar oversize wide range), for about $25.

2: GFS build. GFS has paulownia bodies, they weigh practically nothing, and are available with a variety of route options--and will be easy enough to route if you want to use a pickup that doesn't fit their routing. Order a body you like, bolt on a neck you like, install the bridge, pickups, switches etc. and you're there.

I don't think it's possible to put a wide range pickup AND a single coil pickup both in the neck position on one guitar. There are probably wide range humbuckers that can be coil-split (to use only half of the pickup, as a single coil) using a separate switch somewhere (usually a push-pull pot). A quick search found somebody doing that with Lollars, but I'm not sure if they're really designed for that. If you wanted, you could install 3 splittable wide range pickups in a strat (HHH) and use 3 separate push-pull pots to give you every combination from HHH to SSS. I'd suggest using pickups that are actually designed to sound good split, though--and a bridge humbucker probably won't sound a lot like switch position 2, split or not.

I suspect a strat won't sound a whole lot like a tele--the tiny headstock and bridge design both (IMO) have significant influence on the tone. I will further note that a guitar made out of a very different wood may sound different. IMO the wood mostly influences the note's envelope--attack, decay, and resonance. Harder woods tend to make guitars with harder/sharper attack, softer woods tend to make notes more flubby. But there are others on this forum who claim the wood doesn't make any difference other than looks and weight.

15. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    OK I defer to your experience with them.
    I've only handled a couple of them

16. musojosh

musojosh New Member!

Oct 18, 2018
    Melbourne, Australia
    So many interesting thoughts guys. Thanks a ton!

Bizarrely I've been really enjoying playing a yamaha pacifica 012 at one of the schools I teach at! I guess I'm mainly talking about the neck. Its probably about 10+ years old so not one of the newer ones. I think its similar to a strat but with a larger radius. And its great/easy on the shoulder/back sitch. Definitely easier than my tele and 335. The neck on the thinlines I have tried in recent weeks have all been on the chunky side - similar to my current tele.

If you were to pick a guitar that had that kind of neck, similar sound of a Lollar Regal in the neck (any good humbucker alternatives?), some sort of trem system, light weight, rosewood fingerboard what would you do?

Just try and fit a lollar regal in a cheap Pacifica?! S/H strat body and a warmoth neck and lollar regal?
    Or would I need to compensate with a fatter sounding humbucker? A few people have mentioned that the Lollar wont sound the same in a strat as it does in my tele.

Eek, maybe the semi hollow eric johnson strat could be the one to get? Just have to think about the neck position pickup.

@dirocyn , @Silvercrow

17. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

+1 on the '72 Thinline Deluwe!

A natural with black model is on my gas list.