Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How to block off a tremolo?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Lucretia, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Lucretia

Lucretia Strat-Talk Member

Hi,

I have a Chinese Affinity Strat that I want to block the tremolo on seeing as I got it cheap from fleabay and it came with no arm and I've just tried to tune it and it just seems to difficult :rolleyes:

So, I unscrew the claw so the bridge is flat at the back. Do I need to unscrew the 6 screws or not?

Thanks,
    Luke.

2. CeltRocka

CeltRocka Senior Stratmaster

make sure your 6 mounting screws aren't tightened fully down,just enough to allow bridge plate to lay flat.Then tighten the spring claw IN so it pulls trem down flat.3 springs is enough for me[using 9s] You might need more if using heavier gauge strings

3. Lucretia

They don't seem to be fully tightened, the bridge is flat at the back and rising slightly (miniscule amount) at the front, I've unscrewed the claw so that it's about 1/2" from the front of the body and the block is looking straight. There are no strings on atm and I will be using a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinkies (9-42) strings.

Thanks,
    Luke.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    tighten the claw as far as it will go, the strings put tension on there, too, and will pull the bridge up. tighten the six mounting screws till they just touch the bridgeplate, not too tight, or they'll raise the back.
    if the strings pull more than three springs can handle, either add two more springs, or put a block of wood behind the string-block to hold the bridge down.

6. wobble

wobble Strat-Talker

+1 Definatley screw claw all the way IN not out.

7. Lucretia

Do you mean, instead of a block?

Thanks,
    Luke.

8. capt_goodvibes

capt_goodvibes Senior Stratmaster

9. Timmert

Timmert Senior Stratmaster

Awesome vid Capt Goodvibes!
    That guy is hilarious :D

10. kraigeyroxx

kraigeyroxx Strat-Talker

I keep hearing that blocking off the tremolo increases sustain as the block of wood is linking the steel block to the guitar body. Is this true?

11. Krab

Krab ----------------------

Clapton seems to think so...

12. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

I tried the block of wood [ oak ] , but took it back out and added 1 more spring and tightened the 2 screws this was on a floating standard strat...seems to have done the trick, it's funny that my Bullet strat has 5 springs and the Standard..only 2 springs..I don't get it. see ya ...poppa