Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How to Build a Multiple Guitar Rack

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Shades of Blue, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina
    Here are some pics of a homemade guitar rack I just built. It is honestly the easiest thing in the world to build. It holds 8 guitars. Materials cost me $39 vs. almost $80 to buy a new one.

Message me if you are interested and I can explain how I did it and what supplies you will need.

2. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2008
    Blacksburg
    Haha. Excellent. I was just about to ask on another thread how you went about doing it.

3. Shades of Blue

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina
    Forgot the pics...here they are...

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2008
    Blacksburg
    Excellent looking rack! ;-)

6. stratluvr

stratluvr Strat-O-Master

Dec 26, 2008
    Fort Lauderdale FL
    Thats so funny man i just asked about this on another thread i saw the pic on...
    Thanks for the info..

7. 07 road house

07 road house Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2009
    Texas
    nice I would like to build one that will fit the guitars in their cases.

8. sevycat

sevycat Custom Shop Cat Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2008
    Newark, DE
    I worry about the material used on the stand effecting the finish of the guitar over prolonged time. Also, any one who does not use a home humidification system would do better to keep there acoustic's cased. With some type of case humidifier. Thanks for the pics, a clever use of what looks like pvc.

9. Shades of Blue

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina

Yes, it is PVC. What I have read online is that the PVC insulation foam is safe for everything except the Nitro Finishes.

10. sparkeyjames

sparkeyjames Strat-Talk Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Detroit suburbs
    I guess if you have a nitro finish you could glue some cheap yet soft carpet to it. You could also use felt material as well. Excellent use of PVC pipe too BTW. I was thinking of doing a 3 guitar one out of plywood and 2x4s but yours is much easier. Thanks.

11. dennyn23

dennyn23 Strat-Talker

Dec 28, 2008
    Blacksburg
    I can't wait to build one myself. Looks really easy but effective. Great post.

12. bobthecanadian

bobthecanadian Strat-O-Master

Feb 9, 2007
    Taipei, Taiwan
    How convenient. Much better than stacking them all in the closet.

13. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Sep 18, 2006
    Brackley, Great Britain

I just used a piece of old sheet and some old socks

[​IMG]

14. DrewB

DrewB New Member!

Oct 14, 2007
    Independence, MO
    Here's mine, built completely from scrap wood and a carpet remnant from a guy at church who installs carpet for a living. Since these were taken, I have added leather straps with L-shaped pin screws that will keep the guitars in place unless "unlatched." I don't have to worry about nitro finishes with this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GuitarCrazy

GuitarCrazy Strat-Talker

Dec 29, 2008
    New York
  16. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Strat-O-Master

Dec 10, 2008
    Mount Airy & Grifton NC
    Here's mine. A wall rack for my son's room. Built from scraps from a remodeling project. An 8' 2x4 with a piece of baseboard glued/nailed to it. Utility hooks from big lots for $1/20 each. Screwed to wall studs with long gray drywall screws. Holds4 guitars. Would hold 5 had I bought enough hooks and can't find them locally right now.

Nice ideas for the other racks, though. May have to build something like that soon.

Randy

Attached Files:

17. gcconspiracy

gcconspiracy Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2008
    Canada
    well, I've got the materials... so I think I'll be making a guitar stand this weekend! I'm actually getting surprisingly excited for this project; thanks for the inspiration Shades!

-gcc

18. Shades of Blue

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina
    No problem,

Keep in mind that this in not very time consuming (only took me about two hours), but it can get frustrating so, measure twice and cut once.

19. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    Toledo, OH
    I actually really like this rack. I'm in need of a rack (seeing as I have 4 guitars, 1 bass, another guitar on the way tonight for my eldest daughter's 5th birthday present, and a guitar that my friend left over here) and I only own 3 guitar stands. My living room is starting to look like Guitar Center. Any chance you could diagram your build with measurements and supplies used? I'd like to build one this week.

20. Dirt Rich

Dirt Rich Banned

Dec 30, 2008
    Toledo, OH
  21. shaun-d

shaun-d Strat-Talk Member

Jan 13, 2009
    ga
    that was a great idea