Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How to clean nitro finish

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Mustang65, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Nov 28, 2009
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I think every guitar has its own problems when they get old. They're in different climates and got to where they are by different routes of use. So if I would use anything I would test it in a small area first, maybe on the bottom where the strap button is, if it looks ok then I would go further, and stop immediately if something doesn't look right.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  2. Mustang65

Mustang65 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 25, 2018
    Missouri
    Now here’s a question about a rosewood fret board-same year. Would using guitar honey be ok to clean and condition? It’s pretty dark and dirty. I think the side markers are clay. The board markers are probably faux mother of pearl. And I have to admit now, it’s not a Strat. It’s a Mustang. By the way the photo is from the previous owner. I don’t put my guitars in stands anymore. Especially not nitro finished guitars.

Attached Files:

3. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talk Member

Jul 31, 2018
    I can from experience tell ya that the AV's (post 2012) may have a thin coat nitro but it is very durable. I had a strap leave a light dye stain on my sonic blue '59 (the one in my avatar). I rubbed vigorously with various Fender cleaning products and then resorted to rubbing alcohol. The finish withstood it all. Unfortunately the stain was never completely removed - seems to be part of the paint at this point.

4. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

Aug 22, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Wonder what Keef used to get that dude's blood off of his Tele??