Join Strat-Talk Today

How to clean nitro finish

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by Mustang65, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

I think every guitar has its own problems when they get old. They're in different climates and got to where they are by different routes of use. So if I would use anything I would test it in a small area first, maybe on the bottom where the strap button is, if it looks ok then I would go further, and stop immediately if something doesn't look right.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  2. Mustang65

Mustang65 Strat-Talk Member

Now here’s a question about a rosewood fret board-same year. Would using guitar honey be ok to clean and condition? It’s pretty dark and dirty. I think the side markers are clay. The board markers are probably faux mother of pearl. And I have to admit now, it’s not a Strat. It’s a Mustang. By the way the photo is from the previous owner. I don’t put my guitars in stands anymore. Especially not nitro finished guitars.

Attached Files:

3. Nokie

Nokie Strat-Talk Member

I can from experience tell ya that the AV's (post 2012) may have a thin coat nitro but it is very durable. I had a strap leave a light dye stain on my sonic blue '59 (the one in my avatar). I rubbed vigorously with various Fender cleaning products and then resorted to rubbing alcohol. The finish withstood it all. Unfortunately the stain was never completely removed - seems to be part of the paint at this point.

4. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

Wonder what Keef used to get that dude's blood off of his Tele??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.