Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How to fix this 1992 American Floyd Rose Classic Strat?

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by TLstrat, Nov 29, 2017.

1. TLstrat

TLstrat Strat-Talk Member

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Well, it doesn't mention what factory are these from.

Anyway, if it fits a Standard Strat and it's up to Fender specs, then I guess it this will do. Though it is much cheaper than the price Fender were asking for on their website. Less than have, actually.

And in case I get these, should I replace the high E's bushing as well?

2. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    The bushings that are on the face of the headstock?

I assume the tuners will come with new ones.

3. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    According to the listing you linked to, they do. I meant whether it's actually necessary/advised to also replace the bushing?

I'm even sure how to do that. One video suggested to put a screwdriver through the bushing and move in a circular motion, but the guy also claimed it would induce a tiny bit of chamfering which shouldn't interfere with the new bushing. Not sure whether that's the best option.

4. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Say, can you manage to detect whether the (relatively) cheap tuners from Hong Kong are actually from a genuine make Fender had been using?

I can't say whether they look exactly like mine (the curve of the plate at the last tuner seems smoother than mine), and as I said the inside logo is not clear in the photo (mine just says "Japan").

I asked the seller which factory are these from and they answered "from the one that supplies to Fender", lol. If it's just a Chinese copy I don't need to pay $23 for it, they sell these for $5.

5. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Not with those pictures.

Put "Fender Vintage Tuner" into your country's Ebay.

I only chose the listing I gave you because it had free worldwide shipping.

6. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    I can't find this specific type locally. I'll just order the Gotoh ones from the US, it's more expensive but there are a few more things I need from that seller anyway, so I'll make it a single order at least.

The Gotoh ones are fine, yes?

7. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA

8. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    Hm... Well, whether that's true or not, I'll probably not change the entire six as the rest is good (and 4 are already stringed, I use Elixir so let's hope they'll keep fresh until the orders arrive), but I'll just provide them with the sale. Selling them by ones won't be very efficient and if someone wants several it's usually a complete set.

By the way, I saw a bunch of buyers had complaints about the locking model you linked to. Some said "cheap price and it shows" – but it's priced at $65. Doesn't sound cheap to me, perhaps they changed the actual item sold through that page since these reviews had been written.

9. vid1900

Nov 25, 2016
    USA

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    You don't need locking tuners with a Floyd Rose.

11. TLstrat

Nov 29, 2017
    Israel
    I wasn't planning on buying the locking tuners, vid1900 simply linked to them when I asked about Gotoh. But maybe I don't understand: aren't locking tuners just for clamping the string into place rather than winding it? It makes string changing faster and possibility slightly relieves tuning issues that might arise from imprecise winding, but it doesn't lock the string into tune like a locking nut does – so they aren't mutually exchangeable function-wise.

12. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

As has been said the grease is leaking out of the tuners. Several people have given you options on how to fix or replace them.

The bridge issue...
    Floyd Rose restring meme.jpg

Those bugs (or whatever)
    kill it with fire meme.JPG

Attached Files: