Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How to get SCRATCHES out of a Pickguard?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by spyhawk36, Jan 19, 2011.

1. spyhawk36

spyhawk36 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Michigan
    I bought a used CV 50 a few months back. The pickguard is very scratched up. Any tips on web links on how to bring it back to looking new?

2. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    Play it for a while, scratch it up, then buy a new one. Rinse repeat.

Personally, I like my pickguard scratches, fingerprints, etc. It means I'm playing the guitar.

3. PinkFloydfan91

PinkFloydfan91 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 30, 2010
    Burlington,NC
    I wouldn't worry about it because a few months later they will be back. It adds mojo, I say leave it alone and let the mojo start.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Krab

Krab ----------------------

Oct 31, 2010
    not sure on that one by the time you buy the polish and such you could get a new one from GFS

6. MIJ STRAT

MIJ STRAT Strat-Talker

Jun 24, 2009
    England
    depends on how deep they are, but I bought the guitar scratch remover kit, works really well on light scratches.

7. Texocaster

Texocaster Senior Stratmaster

Oct 11, 2010
    Texas
    Across the pond it is called a scratchplate, It is supposed to be scratched if you play.

8. madmat

madmat But I digress Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 13, 2010
    Allatoona Landing
    PlastX, Flitz mini powerball and a drill. You'll have to pull everything out of the pickguard though.

9. bettsaj

bettsaj Senior Stratmaster

Feb 10, 2010
    Suffolk, UK
    Are they pick scratches or deep gouges?

10. spyhawk36

spyhawk36 Strat-Talk Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Michigan
    not deep gouges but a little more than normal scratches.

11. 50thFan

50thFan Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2009
    Kentucky
    I use Maguires polish with a towel. A few minutes and your ready to go. Cheaper than a new guard.

12. Shades of Blue

Shades of Blue Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 28, 2008
    South Carolina
    Get used to them!

Attached Files:

13. LiveOak

LiveOak Senior Stratmaster

Apr 4, 2010
    Katy, TX
    Shades of Blue - You got me rolling on the floor over here, that was classic!

14. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    Riviera Paradise
    If you really want to remove the scratches, it's possible to dry sand off part or if you have to even all of the clear coat and then use finer grits to wet sand with soapy water and then polish with scratch remover.

You can remove some really deep scratches this way, but it will lose that shiny finish and look kind of old and polished when done.

I've polished a few tort pickguards, it took less than an hour. One of them was left in a junk drawer and had really deep scratches, and still turned out pretty good. I have a hard time throwing stuff away I guess.

15. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 24, 2010
    Avondale
    you can buy $12 pickguards....seems like one of those fixes thats more just to see if you can do it than anything :D

i dont even know how you guys scratch them. a year of practicing aggressive funk rhythm, and nothing. in fact, out of curiosity, i tried to scratch the pickguard on my bullet with plausible pick stroke pressure, and didnt even come close. maybe im just weak, but i dont know what you animals are doing to these things :D

16. srvwannab

srvwannab Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    Riviera Paradise
    Well lets see, I had one in a junk drawer with all kinds of parts and after a few years of getting shuffled around in there it got pretty scratched up.

Light pick marks and swirl marks from polishing don't bother me, but other things can happen over the years that leave deeper marks.

17. ironhead

ironhead Strat-Talk Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Virginia
    You can also try Turtle Wax White Polishing Compound and scratch remover. It does have mild abrasives so use it with good judgment. I used this on on an Affinity I bought a few days ago that I thought was horribly pick scratched beyond description. Pleasantly surprised that 99% of the pick scratches are gone! Used it on the body (Torino Red) with equally good results.

18. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

Sep 2, 2009
    Chicago
    I bite mine occasionally.

(love bites.) :p

19. Sprocket

Sprocket Senior Stratmaster

Jul 22, 2008
    De'ville, Florida
    Fire up the Way-Back Machine!