Join Strat-Talk Today

how to get this tone on strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by emann, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Practice, practice, practice... oh and practice some more. Also that tone is a good clean amp (maybe some compression) and a little delay and you're there.

Do not get hug up too much on copying others exactly, learn from them, absorb parts of their style, tone, etc. but develop your own style and tone. I really do not like seeing a band play a cover song exactly as the original, yes you need to keep some signature licks in there and the overall feel of the song but make it your own.

One of the bands I play with does a cover of Buddy Holly's Peggy Sue but we add some very light overdrive and build up to playing it at near double speed. We get the most compliments on that tune. We also changed Johnny Cash's Jackson to a funk/reggae type rhythm for fun one night and folks loved it.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

Wait until you get your guitar. Plug it in when you get it. Then play. A lot.

Don't think about getting a tone until you have the tools in your hand.

Then, practice with those tools until you make a sound you like.

Guitar playing isn't "just add water". It requires an investment of time. Lots of it. If that tone is in you, it'll come out. Who knows, you might find something you like better. :D

3. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

Wow OP,
    That’s a great rendition of a great song. I think that guy could grab a half sized child’s Squier Strat, run it through a $100 practice amp, and play using the only the neck pickups and people would still be asking how to duplicate his “tone”. That video was truly a heartfelt performance.

I’ve spent more money than I care to disclose chasing John Frusciante’s tone. And the only thing that money taught me is that I should figure out (or ask people in the know) about the general effects and PUP position of a particular player/song. And then practice the song until it’s automatic. Follow that up by playing with the recording at equal volume to you amp settings. Rinse and repeat.

4. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

Thanks a lot for your encouraging input...i really like this popa chubby...he has great talent and really gets the strats qualities and playabilities out to its best.

Bob the builder likes this.
  5. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Strat, play in neck position, going into a tube screamer (light gain) going into the front of a blackface fender that's on the verge of dirt.

6. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

@errikwong: thanks for this ...googled the tube screamer from ibanez..

anyone any experience on this pedal coupled to a fender blues junior iv amp?

7. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Apart from good technique... VOLUME! .. you can't get it at bedroom levels no matter what you use. When an amp is driving, as soon as you hit those strings the harmonics just jump out at you and sustain. This of course is when your technique comes in.. you're in charge of a wild sound machine and need to make it work to your advantage..

Using a Blues Junior.. absolutely. I use an old one myself.. and really drive it when I'm gigging.. :thumb:

Stratoskater and Robins like this.
  8. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Isn’t it likely that the individual touch of the player greatly contributes to the sound that the instrument will provide?

These great players all have that one thing in common.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Thank you. Classic. :D

10. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's a fairly typical Strat tone. Most decent Strats through a decent amp should give you that sound if you can play like that guy can. Don't worry about the pickups, they make up perhaps 5% of the sound.

That Chubby geezer is quite good isn't he!

For those who like the song but would like a slightly different version, one of our best loved comedians, Jeremy Hardy, died a week ago at just 57. On a radio comedy show he was given the task of singing Hallelujah in the style of singer & ukulele master George Formby (1904 – 1961), who was very popular here in the 30s & 40s. If you know what Formby sounds like, it's really pretty good!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Brilliant! Sorry to hear about his death, He's what finally convinced me, a long time ago, not to listen to "Clue" whilst driving.

12. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

I love this version as well...

Tone Guru, dante1963 and Stratoskater like this.
  13. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have tears in my eyes from laughing that was brilliant. Thanks

Swampash and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  14. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I assumed that everybody would have heard that already. Glad to bring it to the attention of anyone who missed it.

15. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

Looking at the tube screamer I'm also getting comparisons with the boss blues driver.

In your experience any difference between these pedals, does one completement the other by connecting them in a sequence or any preferred one for a particular tone.

Thanks.

16. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

The tube screamer is great with mid scooped amps like black face Fenders. It’s not so good with mid heavy amps like a 5e3 fender. The blues jr has a mid knonb and sufficient gain so I would say you are fine with just the amp. Also I don’t really hear a lot of gain or drive in hallelujah. Maybe add a compressor to smooth things out but I’d say just plug in, get a warm tone with a little Reverb for ambiance and play. For what it’s worth when my band has done that song I typically play it on acoustic not electric.

17. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

I prefer the song from the source.

18. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Yes, a very common pairing. In my mind, it's not going to get the sound you are after mainly due to the EL84 power output having a particular mid-range response that has a sound which is very divergent from what you associate with a blackface tone; that, and the propensity for the Blues Junior's output at band volumes to lack headroom.

19. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

millennial anthem? the song came out in 1984, along with "Footloose", "Karma Chameleon", and "Girls Just Want to Have Fun"

20. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

And
    And then set them on fire

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.