Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

how to get this tone on strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by emann, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Del1

Del1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 12, 2010
    Kent, UK
    You might like this:

2. Uncle Jimmy

Uncle Jimmy Senior Stratmaster

Aug 22, 2011
    Connecticut
    Millenial anthem? Leonard Cohen!

dante1963 likes this.
  3. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

Oct 14, 2018
    malta
    he's more than good...what model is that strat?

4. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    If

?
    Which one....
    ???

5. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Love this guy. Every vids I've seen of him he just seems to celebrate being alive. And...I'm just glad to see him on YouTube, cause I can't imagine what it's like to hang around with him a whole day. Must be exhausting.

Swampash likes this.
  6. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    I think the tone Popa gets is more closely due to the use of 1965-1968 Strats, and the incompletely potted pickups that CBS allowed thru the assembly line. The pickups are supposed to be the same at all 3 positions. The ones that were poorly potted were selected in the bridge positions, by the time of the CBS ownership.

I have a 1970 4-bolt version, and getting that sound is easy. I don't think I would use any pedals, just the amp's drive channel, like on my Super Sonic 22W. Oh yeah, turn up the midrange to avoid the scooped mids.

7. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-Talker

Oct 11, 2017
    CT
    Check out this page and video from Seymour Duncan. Talks about Jimi’s pickups.
    Dam, what happend to the link? https://www.seymourduncan.com/hendrix

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 11:09 PM
  8. larscaster

larscaster Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2016
    Barney’s Creek, Utah
    Very interesting
    Thanks for posting

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 11:22 PM
    roadhog96 likes this.
  9. Uncle Salty

Uncle Salty Strat-Talk Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Pa.
    OP try to stop worrying about how to get that tone. If you can push your amp a little and use any TS type overdrive you can get close enough. His tone is nothing that special. Lots of strat player out there who can get good tone.

You could even try it with some light fuzz.

10. Uncle Salty

Uncle Salty Strat-Talk Member

Feb 8, 2019
    Pa.

$379 bucks for something he claims he only gave him two sets. Listen to the sound on the first Hendrix Album. Probably stock Fender Pup. That was before the 2 set he got from Seymour.

11. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Strat-O-Master

Jul 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Take a mildly overdriven amp (either by pedal or master volume) and then roll your volume knob back until it sounds clean when you pick lightly, but the dirt starts to come through when you pluck harder. You can try rolling back the tone knob a little to darken the tone. Then if you want to add more dirt, like when he plays the solo, you just raise the volume on your guitar to drive the amp harder.

12. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

Oct 14, 2018
    malta
    @UmpaHimself: thanks for this setting...just to be sure I understand you correctly. So to start guitar volume at 10, junior iv volume at say 5 and master up to hearing slight distortion and roll guitar volume down...is this the correct way? then for solo increase volume on guitar?

13. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    There is no evidence in any other documentation that Hendrix used any replacement pickups.
    If Hendrix had ever used aftermarket pickups in any of his Strats it would have shown up in Glebbeek and Shapiro's research for Electric Gypsy.

Aftermarket replacement pickups simply weren't a 'thing' during Hendrix's lifetime.

14. UmpaHimself

Jul 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Exactly right. Basically, try to make your amp/guitar sounds as close to his while he is playing the solo when the guitar volume is on 10, then turn the guitar volume down until it sounds similar to his clean sound while he is singing

15. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

Oct 14, 2018
    malta
    @UmpaHimself: many thanks for this. trying it and seems to be getting there.

Would you mind another question...this guy has some incredible tone when he fingerpicks this american special. what are your insights as to settings...it just seems a clean guitar to amp connection but his playing is so smooth, relaxing and the tone is out of this world....let me know your ideas and thanks.

16. UmpaHimself

Jul 16, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Great man. Yep, super clean tone setting on the amp. Probably volume on 10 or close to it. Picking with the round part of your finger tends to give you a "smoother" tone then a pick, but he is also palm-muting the strings with his picking hand. This means that he is resting his hand (LIGHTLY) on the strings themself as opposed to on the bridge or not at all. This dulls and fattens the tone but also deadens the decay of the notes so you can play around with the pressure of your palm to get it right.

Not to offend, but these are all relatively basic questions you're asking. The reason I say that is because it sounds like you need more experience under your belt and maybe even a private teacher to explain these fundamentals to you. Don't worry though, it will come over time.

Swampash likes this.
  17. emann

emann Strat-Talk Member

Oct 14, 2018
    malta
    @UmpaHimself: really thanks for this...just to put you in the picture...i started some lessons 14 months ago on an acoustic and the fender was always a passion for me and got one this xmas...so yes indeed i have no experience and trying to learn from here as much as i can from people like yourself...which I thank a lot.

on another note, so with the american special and blues junior for home practice, what are best settings to keep volume down but in the meantime get as much as possible that fender tone especially with the neck and neck+mid position.

larscaster likes this.
  18. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    So true. For those who know the old UK TV series Top Gear, they put a star in a reasonably priced car, a Suzuki or Kia if I remember, and, after tuition from their mysterious pet racing driver, The Stig, set them off on a timed lap. Same car, same track, yet the difference in the times was vast. When they put an F1 driver in the thing they’d knock seconds off the best amateur time without appearing to try.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Bloody brilliantly!