Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How to relic???

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by SeafoamStrat, Aug 22, 2009.

1. SeafoamStrat

SeafoamStrat Strat-Talker

can anyone provide a quick "how to" and/or the basic procedures and tools needed for "relic-ing" a guitar?

2. ZL1LoVeR

ZL1LoVeR Strat-O-Master

+1

Not that I would do it, I'm more interested to know from a scientific perspective :rolleyes:

3. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BadBrad

BadBrad Strat-O-Master

6. Toadlc

Toadlc Strat-Talker

7. Extra crispy

Extra crispy Senior Stratmaster

The absolute only way to relic a guitar, is to play it everyday for 20 or more years, If you have kids, by all means, teach them to play it too. and never, never put the guitar in it's case. Any method other than this produces a substandard relicing effect. :)

8. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Obviously it's all subjective and it depends on whether you like relicing, but I have to dissagree with this.

I have seen some finishing, done by Clive Brown in the UK to some, that I would defy anyone to tell whether the guitars had been refinished or not.

The guitars in question, were a Strat and Tele, both from the 60's, which had been badly refinished. Clive removed the bad paint jobs and refinished closely matching the original colour and also aged them. His work would have increased the value of guitars that had been ruined.

If people want to do this, then it's fine by me, same as it's fine for those who want to keep their guitars as pristine as possible

9. SeafoamStrat

SeafoamStrat Strat-Talker

You got that right. I wanted to know because I have had a number of people asking me to relic their guitars and I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to get into just for "moral" reasons. I personally don't believe in it. Thanks guys for all your input.

10. dblacker

dblacker New Member!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

12. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This pretty much covers it.

And that Ultimate Relic Strat video is hilarious.

13. fredm

fredm Strat-Talker

Oh my lord, that video is the funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

Thanks for posting. :) :) :)

14. jfkelleher

jfkelleher New Member!

My brother wanted the guitar I've just made for him to be relic-y, but we both felt it was fake to make it that way... So instead I just made the finish extra-thin in key areas, used off-white plastics instead of bright white, wasn't ultra-careful about small checks and dents as I worked, etc (much against my instincts- I'm more of a smooth-finish person myself). The end result should wear and age quickly, but he'll still get to age it himself.

That video, also, was great :) I especially love the idea of burying it in two different yards for the different tonal qualities of the soils!

15. Jimmy R

Jimmy R Strat-O-Master

16. uberdavidson

uberdavidson Strat-Talker

I sanded some, then just had my kids throw their Hotwheels cars at it for about an hour. Looks OK. I won't be relicing anything else, though.

17. MASLIKO

MASLIKO Strat-Talk Member

I couldn't own a relic,to me its "fake"..and i would feel like a tool with one.Buts that just me.I have always liked the "genuine" personally-regardless of what it is.And the argument that,i dont have the time to play for years or i cant afford a real vintage guitar,doesnt cut it for me.-its fake end of story.

I cant just "pretend" my guitar has been played to death with my make believe band for twenty years and that i bumped on a pretend wall or car.And that all the marks on my guitar are real etc etc.just cant do it.

I have also been around a relic and they have no mojo(character) because they have no story and are not real.You feel a guitar that is real.I believe people will love their guitar more if the marks etc were genuine.I dont care if people do it,i just wouldn't want too.

18. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Why do people drag 4 year old threads back from the dead?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And anyway, with a subject like this.....

[​IMG]