Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

How wire S1 switch as simply coil tap for HSS Strat?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by yamariv, Feb 12, 2017.

1. yamariv

yamariv Strat-Talk Member

Feb 4, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey Gents,

I'm going to be rewiring my 96 American Standard Strat into an HSS next week when all the parts finally come in. I'm going to do the wiring diagram below, (Vol for Humbucker, Vol for Middle and Neck and Master tone)

I'm going to be using a Fender S1 switch for the Humbucker Volume (instead of a push pull) but am not sure how to wire it as a coil split properly. I's must looking for the simplest way to wire it so that when it's pushed in, the Humbucker coil gets split and the rest of the wiring goes as per the diagram.

Thanks

2. Stratula

Stratula Strat-O-Master

Mar 3, 2010
    KenTenn USA
    Here's an S-1 diagram (in case you need it)

[​IMG]

The way this works (forgive me if you know already) is for each of the four numbered pole locations, in the Up position B and C are connected. In the Down position, A and B are connected.

And here's a Duncan diagram for coil splitting with a more typical switch:

[​IMG]

On a Duncan humbucker, the wire colors are:

[​IMG]

A humbucker is typically wired in series. The North Start wire goes to the volume pot (or to the switch on a Strat), the South Start to ground, and the two Finish wires are linked together. What the switch needs to do is to connect the link to ground. This will then create a circuit moving from (and to, this is AC) North Start to ground at North Finish. The South coil is completely connected to ground and therefore out of commission.

To use the S-1 switch, connect the Finish wires to the common (i.e., B terminal) of any of the four poles, then connect either the A (for switch Down = split) or C (for switch Up = split) to ground. If you want to take out the South coil rather than North coil, reverse the color references (as in the second choice "Adjustable (outer)" diagram, two above).

If you're using a non-Duncan humbucker, the wiring convention for many are in this chart:

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Seymour Duncan likes this.

3. yamariv

Feb 4, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    You sir Mr.Stratula are a friggen Pimp!! (in a good way) ;) Thanks very much for taking the time to write this up cause for the past few days I have been asking around everywhere and could not find any answers on this topic!!

So since I'm not a pro at understanding this more complicated switch stuff, I'd say I'm with you 90% on this but don't want to mess it up. If I wanted to switch the South slug only(coil split) when the S1 switch is pushed down (full humbucker when switched up in normal position), which wires would go where if I was using Seymour Duncan color codes?

Thanks in advance for a little more of your time!....:thumb:

4. Stratula

Stratula Strat-O-Master

Mar 3, 2010
    KenTenn USA
    I'm really sorry for not revisiting this sooner.

First, here's a much larger version of the Seymour Duncan coil split wiring diagram, above:

[​IMG]

To split the Slug Coil in the S-1-Down position using a Seymour Duncan humbucker in a Strat:
    1. connect the black pickup wire to the correct position on the Strat 5-way
    2. connect the red and white pickup wires to the B terminal on the S-1
    3. connect the corresponding S-1 A terminal to ground
    4. connect the green and ground (bare) pickup wires to ground
    Wire up the rest of it as you would any old Strat and you should be good.

If you're looking at getting more familiar with this sort of thing, I can't tell you how many times the Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams have come to the rescue. You can find many of them here.

If I misunderstood and you need something other than this, chime in and I'll try to get by here more frequently.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017

5. yamariv

Feb 4, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, I think we are almost there but I think you've split the coil to have the slug on with the S1 switch down in the last update? I would need the opposite outer adjustable pole piece coil on with the switch down :S Thanks again for the help, this stuff is confusing, worried about messing it up....Cheers

6. yamariv

Feb 4, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    Ok, think I have it right this time after a bit more studying from the pics above. So if I want to have the Adjustable Outer coil used in split mode I'd be putting the Green and Black wires to Pole 1 "B" Lug of the S1 switch and ground the A Lug of Pole 1 so that it splits the humbucker when the S1 switch is pushed in...?? I think that right?

7. Stratula

Stratula Strat-O-Master

Mar 3, 2010
    KenTenn USA
    I guess I took from "If I wanted to switch the South slug only(coil split) when the S1 switch is pushed down (full humbucker when switched up in normal position), which wires would go where if I was using Seymour Duncan color codes?" (Post #3) that you wanted to maintain signal from the "slug only."

Yes, to maintain signal from the screw coil, yes, green and black to the switch, red to the 5-way and white & plain to ground.

And I'd add, don't worry about "messing it up." All of this can be undone / redone with the added the benefit that practice really helps soldering skills.

yamariv likes this.

8. yamariv

Feb 4, 2017
    Ottawa, Canada
    Perfect, now I just have to wait till all my parts come in and I'll be soldering away!! Thanks again Stratula, your explanations and help were invaluable!! :)

Stratula likes this.