Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Hss strat wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by toolshed, Nov 11, 2017.

1. toolshed

toolshed Strat-Talk Member

Jun 11, 2011
    tennessee
    I am rewiring my pick guard and I'm stuck. Does anyone have a wiring diagram that uses a 500k volume pot, a 250k tone pot for the neck and middle, and a 500k tone pot for the bridge?

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

Well you could use any diagram. A pot is a pot.

And IDK why you are going with a different tone pot there (500). FTMP, either a 250 or 500 will basically work the same, based on the CAP you put on it.

So acually a 250K tone pot with a .047µF cap, and a 500K pot with a .022µF will work about the same.

This will get you tone pot on the bridge:

RED WIRES in diagram

From a normal Strat wiring all you do is take the wire that runs from the switch to the lower tone control and move it up to the empty lug on the switch. That would be the second terminal from the top, on the right.

Then take short jumper wire and solder it across the two lower lugs on the diagram ( so you have neck and middle tone control if you want otherwise all you will have is neck tone control in lever pos. 5).

Disregard the tone control caps and their leads as there are a lot of ways to go there, and normally both pots use (share) one cap. That has nothing to do with the controls mod.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

So you can see if a person wants either tone control to work differently ( as far as when you turn it) all you do is use different caps. NORMALLY on a strat, BOTH tone controls share a (the) cap.

On one of my Strats, I took and ran a wire from the tone pots out into the trem block cavity via the
    trem claw ground wire hole. Then used the trem claw for a ground (other cap lead) and tried different
    value caps with test leads on the wire to the tone pot. When you get a winner, tape it up and hide it in
    there (under the trem cover). Then solder it in on the pot next time you do a string
    change.

Stealthy !!

I call the cap a tool the tone pot uses in it job. The higher the value, the faster/darker things will get as you turn the pot from about 6-0.

It's a player preference thing, do you want a subtle tone change ? I don't use the tone much so like .022 in most everything. Nice thru the sweep.

If you want it more aggressive....then .047 or even as high as .1 µF.