Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

HSS Strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BallisticSquid, Sep 28, 2017.

1. brians

brians Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    This thread made me go hammer my HSS, it's awesome go get one asap

gjohnson441496 and circles like this.

2. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    What pickups does your Lester have ? I did try a Shawbucker Strat and was pretty underwhelmed

BallisticSquid likes this.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan
    That's what I did with my first one too. Don't despair. See the Strat below... A little Hendrix action. I cut a filler plate from another piece of black plastic. Eventually I'll get a reverse angled SSS pickguard but this works for now. This guitar started as a regular penguin tuxedo and I bought an ebay loaded pickguard with HSS to get black and later modded that again.

Maybe these will help some of you:

-LP HB neck can get a lot closer to classic Strat neck if the whole pickup is lowered to the body or as low before the elevator screws fall out. Then raise the pole pieces up as high as they go or to your normal pickup height. Put the standard Strat stagger in the screw heights. Now it will sound much more Stratty - and still gives humbucking protection. Easy to try and reverse back to stock. You may find some pickup manufacturers never thought you'd actually use those screw poles and they actually don't all screw out.

-Do the above and put each HB coil on a push/pull or toggle switch (on/on/on) and when in parallel you can get the Strat quack better than you've ever heard a HB try to quack.

-An SSS Strat with the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod that swings into HSH with wiring mod blows away the tone of an HSS Strat (I just did that last night with a new flipper HSS) plus you get even more tones and have the classic SSS setup to fall back into. This Strat has the DABM on it.

-There are different pots and caps (500k vs 250k and 0.047uF vs 0.022uF) that can cause some of the tonal differences when one guitar tries to sound like the other and sometimes pickup placement, relative distance from the bridge from guitar to guitar, can change the tone.

StratandGlobal_IMG_4737c.JPG

4. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    The LP I've been playing lately has BB Pros in it. My other one has PAF 57's.

It's interesting to me how the sound of a room affects things. At my gig this weekend, I was much more happy with my tone.

circles likes this.

5. Chief101

Chief101 Strat-O-Master

Jan 14, 2012
    Kentucky
    Bought a Shawbucker loaded Am. Standard last year with the intention of converting it to a SSS. Decided to give it a chance before any conversion work. Now I've decided to leave the Shawbucker in. Sounds great to me, underwound so output is only modestly higher, very useful bridge pickup, very complimentary to the Fat 50's. I've played through half-dozen different amps and the Shawbucker sounded good in all of them. I still play my other Strats but now my HSS is my go-to Strat. Just one man's experience.

6. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

My LP Trad has 57 Classics. really like those. My SG has 490-498. They're great rock pickups but even though they can do other stuff for me they're the in your face sound.I've been curious about the BB. Havent played any of those

BallisticSquid and Nate D like this.

7. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Duderino Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't tell Les Paul that a Les Paul does not sound good clean in the bridge position.

Ebidis and simoncroft like this.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

25.5 scale with bridge humbucker sounds different from a 24.75 scale with a bridge humbucker. :D

Stark and simoncroft like this.

9. jeff h

jeff h Strat-O-Master

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    And fixed bridges sound different than floating ones, Mahogany sounds different than....never mind. You get the point.

<--- originally, when I put the EMG pick guard in, I assumed I would have massive humbucker tones, and while I did, they are still a different than mahogany bodied fixed bridge guitars, not bad in any way, just different and not exactly what I expected. Still way better than a single coil in the bridge and the neck pickup still sounds very strat like, active or not.

10. Nate D

Nate D Senior Stratmaster

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I’ve got BurstBucker 1 & 2 in one of my -335’s and they’re really great pickups.

Bladesg likes this.

11. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I think the BB comes in the 339 also. Which is on my radar but not right now

Nate D likes this.

12. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep. But not as much as scale length. IME, IMO :D

Nate D likes this.

13. Bladesg

Bladesg Senior Stratmaster

Oct 31, 2013
    Australia
    IMO the maple top on most LPs makes a difference as well as the shorter scale length

14. Elvis v

Elvis v Strat-Talker

Apr 11, 2017
    My place.
    I like mine the best of both worlds. Yamaha brand though. 79145_l.jpg

15. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Dec 1, 2016
    the Bozone
    I just prefer to let strats be strats and LPs be LPs. As long as I don't screw up the bread and butter stock tones I am more than happy to add to the tonal palette. I don't always have the luxury of switching guitars.

Stratoman10 likes this.

16. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    I agree here. Scale length contributes to the Fender “sparkle” for sure

fezz parka likes this.

17. Nate D

Apr 2, 2016
    Ohio
    Those are really cool guitars! I thought they came with ‘57 Classics, but could easily be wrong- it’s happenes a couple times.

Either way, the ‘57 Classics or the B.B. pickups are awesome A2 humbuckers and you can’t go wrong with either.

18. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    As far has heaviness goes, it's '57 < 490/498 < BB Pro. I believe the same holds true for BB 1's and BB 2's as well.

I had a guitar with 490/498's in them and it was a very good compromise...I thought they were great pickups. It was a Faded LP...I got rid of it because it was redundant with my LP Trad Pro ii.

19. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    There is no way to make BB1, BB2, or BB3 to sound good. They are one trick ponies. I have P90's on my favorite LP and in a good place for tone.

My HSS Strat is much cleaner and pristine than a BB, but P90's dirty up so nicely I tend to use that for certain songs. I love the balanced coil sound of the Classic 57 on my ES-347. The Classic '57 is a do all humbucker, and the guitar has a coil tap, that makes me forget about Fenders.

20. mapletop

mapletop Strat-Talk Member

Mar 5, 2015
    maryland
    i was wondering in the h/s/s what size pot s 250k or the 500 k what size cap do you use?and when you put it in bridge & middle does the humbucker split or you just have h/s sound.any help thanks