Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

HSS Strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by BallisticSquid, Sep 28, 2017.

1. xfabianromerox

xfabianromerox Strat-Talker

Nov 22, 2015
    Long Island, New York
    I have a 57 classic plus in the bridge of my strat and it definitely bites. Doesn't sound exactly like an LP, but depending on what you play, it can do the job. If you want the best overall sound, you can try a 500k tone knob and use only the bridge pickup with it.

Another option is the use an HSH or HH Stratocaster. I have an HSH with a Sh-1n in the neck, custom middle and a 57 classic + in the bridge with 500k pots. It's much closer to gibson than with the 250k stock pots. The neck sounds very "straty", a bit thicker and it's definitely killer when the distortion is raised up.

2. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Strat-Talker

Jun 6, 2017
    TN
    Why were you underwhelmed? A lot of reviews on the Shawbucker agree with your assessment. I was considering the HH Strat but none of the stores in my area has one.

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I agree.

IME

IMO

The things that make the greatest difference (from most to least) are:

Scale length
    bridge design
    set/bolt on neck joint

Of course I could be wrong, so if I am, disregard. :D

fezz parka likes this.

4. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    AZ
    FWIW there are active pickups out there that will do the job. I use SD Livewire SCs from the 90s that will get just about any tone you want, The tone knob on these act more like an amp tone circuit.( because they ARE in a preamp circuit) These old 18 Volt actives can sound like a nice vintage strat,( minus the hum) with the volume knob at 6 or 7, and overdrive and fatten like an LP when on 10 and the tone knob rolled back slightly.

5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

It didn't sound terrible but it it didn't sound terribly good either. It was just there. At the time I was starting to shop for a Lester and figured I'd try the Shawbucker for a Swiss Army Knife approach. But it just didn't inspire me. I got a Lester and I'm glad I did. It's hard to beat a set of 57 Classics

gjohnson441496 likes this.

6. Brucifer85

Brucifer85 Strat-Talk Member

May 2, 2015
    South Africa
    Fender should use Seymour Duncan humbuckers in their HSS and HH guitars. I'm sure the HH Strat would appeal to more people then as I hardly see anyone mention them.

tommyd9 and Seymour Duncan like this.

7. scknckmk

scknckmk New Member!

Oct 7, 2017
    türkiye
    I have 2012 fender stratocaster sss but its serial is hss.

8. Dilemma

Dilemma Strat-Talk Member

Aug 23, 2017
    Minnesota
    No offense to anyone here who owns an HHS but they just look wrong. I have the same feelings about a Les Paul with a floating trem.

9. Detector

Detector Strat-Talker

Nov 15, 2010
    Dodge City KS
    As a LP fan myself I'll say they are not the same. The HB in the Strat in my experience sounds a tad thinner. Not necessarily a bad thing. Put that toggle in the second position with adding a bit of that center single coil and that sound is amazing.

10. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

I'll take function over form any day. The only Strats I like are either HSS or HH.

Textele and brians like this.

11. brians

brians Strat-O-Master

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    You see I love this, it's your opinion

12. Brucifer85

May 2, 2015
    South Africa
    So I'm curious to know what your preferred pickup combinations are in an HSS and HH Strat?

Thanks.

13. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Closest I’ve ever got to doing ‘the big three’ with one guitar is, believe it or not, a blacktop Tele with two ‘buckets. Never have believed it until the guy in my local music shop insisted it was worth a go. Especially for rehearsals, it’s one case to carry

14. Brucifer85

May 2, 2015
    South Africa
    Those Blacktop guitars were great. I have the Jaguar. I really liked the stock pickups.

I wonder if Seymour Duncan knows what pickups in their range may be similar?

15. Brian H

Brian H Strat-O-Master

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware

I know what you mean...which is also what I like about the Shawbucker. I think of it as a Strat pickup. It seems designed to still sound like a Strat and work with the other pickups. Its not as thin as the single coil in the bridge position..and has a hint of the HB feel and sound.

If you're really looking for the HB sound the Shawbucker is probably not the right pickup.

When i want a LP sound...well , I play a LP.

Ebidis and Stratoman10 like this.

16. Brian H

Brian H Strat-O-Master

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware
    the Shawbucker.....not like a LP...but a thicker Strat. Which makes me use that pickup position more than with a single coil Strat

MagnusR and cabojoe like this.

17. brians

brians Strat-O-Master

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Hey, why aren't you out there??? You rock!!!!

18. brians

brians Strat-O-Master

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    Made my Sunday .....thanks

19. brians

brians Strat-O-Master

Nov 28, 2016
    ZA
    My Lord, the case for the HSS rests........

20. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    Exactly.

If you want a similar sound and feel to a Les Paul, look for an Aerodyne Strat—bound, carved maple top on mahogany body; 24.75" scale, 22 frets. HSS are available.