Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I am baffled .......

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by church boy01, Apr 16, 2018.

1. church boy01

church boy01 Strat-Talker

Sep 30, 2012
    glasgow

Check out the jazz runs at about 40 secs. I don't even know where to start. I know lots of modes , aeolian , Dorian , mixolydian , Ionian ect .Im baffled how to get these jazzy sounding runs, what new scales do you think I need to learn?
    Many thanks

Jimi Lightning likes this.

2. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I'd say transcribe the runs and find out where they fit within the changes. That's how I work out stuff like that. You end up seeing that everything fits together, even if not in strict adherence to a mode or scale.

3. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The guy on the right is amazing......

4. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Looked like he started working some arpeggios at about 40 secs in, but pretty hard to tell without slo-mo.

rocknrollrich likes this.

5. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    If you learn and memorize complete major and minor scales, you will be able to play almost any style.....most of these modes and scales are all 'part' of a larger scale.....

I might have my terms and wording wrong, but for me, I have memorized every position on the fretboard relative to whether the song is in a major or minor key - every note that 'works' can be used.....if you stick to pentatonic for example, you miss out on all those other lovely kind of 'odd' notes that work and are in key.....

To some it might be backwards....but for me it works.....

Even guys like SRV who weren't 'jazz' guys could make it work, listen to 'Riviera Paradise' by SRV - he's pulling in notes and scales from some jazz modes but in truth it's just parts of a complete minor scale.....the way he saw it.....

6. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Strat-O-Master

Jan 8, 2016
    philadelphia
    Hey, if you watch a video on YouTube , there is a settings button on the video screen at the top right .
    You can slow down or speed up a video.

It doesn't change the pitch, but if you set it dramatically slow or fast, it does introduce some digital artifacts.

This has helped me figure some stuff out with fast runs and things.

Fuzzpop, Strat-Slinger and ukoldgit like this.