Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I burned my Strat

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by BluesDontCare, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Textele

Textele Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 10, 2009
    USA
    It didn't make it a Sunburnst though.

Robins and Mansonienne like this.

2. Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2016
    CANADA
    if its crafted in Indonesia or china it definitely isn't burnt enough! try tossing it directly on the campfire LOL:p

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    "This comment was brought to you directly from 1992. We hope you enjoyed today's foray into ancient history".

:rolleyes:

Mad Stratter and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    or 1972 ... :rolleyes:

stratman323 likes this.

5. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Apr 23, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Jimi......did you come back from the otherworld??...

6. Mad Stratter

Mad Stratter Strat-Talker

Aug 10, 2016
    Scotland

7. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

Oh too be young again......:)

8. Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2016
    CANADA
    Na I wouldn't want to be that young again...... no job ...no money....all I could afford was a crappy off shore hunk of recycled pressboard. I certainly would not go backwards and buy any of the Chinese junk ...No thanks! need help torching it? send it this way I will incinerate it! :thumb:

9. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You don't seem to realise that things move on over the decades. Things that were "fact" in the 60s & 70s are totally different today. If you're 48, you should know better. Back in the 70s, many Japanese guitars were cheap & nasty rubbish. Anyone who ever owned a Jedson "Tele" or an Avon Les Paul copy will confirm this. Horrible.

Then, by the end of the 70s, some Japanese guitars were world class, such as the Tokai Strat & LP "copies", & the same with the Grecos. They had learned how to make quality guitars.

Fast forward a few years. Not all that long ago, Made In China meant cheap & nasty a lot of the time. Have a guess what happened? That's right - things have changed! It's amazing how these things happen isn't it......?

Anyone who believes that all products from China these days are "Chinese junk" is deluding themselves. Or perhaps they just don't get out enough to have tried any current Chinese guitars? ;)

10. Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2016
    CANADA
    :cool:No disrespect but this is my experience as I fix this crap daily. and been playing for over 40+yrs. there is nothing good about these Indonesian/Chinese made strats ... I will say that its perhaps ok for the person that really cant afford a better guitar to start on... or parents that don't want to lay out a few hundred more for better quality until they know the kids going to keep playing it. these have cheap parts ,cheap wood , and sharp razor sharp frets . 99% of the student I have taught ,start out on the 199 package, stand ,gig bag, guitar ,and tuner. a few weeks in and they get rid of it for a MIM . I had a 2016 squire deluxe....(for a student guitar) returned it in a few hours. sliced up the students fingers on the frets! poor quality! tried 5 more.. they were all the same! junk! and for a few hundred more the MIM was the perfect replacement without busting the bank.. or having to spend countless hours making it right. this has nothing to do with the 60-70-80-90 etc. its about the quality of the instrument and what you are getting "Today" for all that money. Experience has shown me that most of the people that buy these cheap Chinese guitars aren't sure if they are going to continue to play, or simply cant afford a better one, hence buying the cheapest strat out there. and a lot get discouraged with them and never touch another guitar. sure it can be adjusted and tweaked like any other guitar! but not something a newbie should have to deal with when they are learning. I'm sure there are people out there that swear these are the best ,maybe they have never had a quality built instrument in their hands ,and all they have ever tried is a 200 dollar off shore or a Wal-Mart guitar. but. People need to hear the Real experiences people are having not just some sales pitch boasting that it is as good as MIM or USA or even Japan. I have heard that far to much in this business. their quality has not improved that much to put them on a pedestal ,they are no where near being on the same level. so ya I do understand I live it every day! the place I work wont even carry them anymore. they will send you down the street to el cheapo LOL :D:D:D STILL NEED HELP BURNING IT? I CAN HELP! :whistling::D

doesn't matter how much lipstick you put on a pig.... in the end....its still a pig!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017

11. Robins

Robins Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    I think it looks better than it did before.

Life is good,
    Robin

12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    So, to keep it brief, you haven't tried (or even owned) a Classic Vibe of any kind?

13. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Tihihi hi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

montemerrick likes this.

14. jimbojo

jimbojo Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2010
    Rio Rancho, NM
    I have played many MIM Strats and Teles, that were awful, mainly from the late 90's and early 2000's, and I have run through quite a few Squiers in my day, for Indonesia, China, Korea, Japan, and again some are bad, fret sprout, ply bodies, cheep tuners, etc. My experience with Fenders is it is best to play each one because they put out good stuff and bad stuff all the time. Right now I own 3 Telecasters and 3 Strats, all three Tele's are Squiers and all play well, 2 of them are newer and hardly modified, a Squier Classic Vibe and a Vintage Modified Cabronita with Bigsby, no fret sprout, great tone, no issues at all, are they equal to an MIA, probably not but they are dam close, decent tuners, pick ups are alnico, again very playable and sound great through my amps. Of the three strats I own, one is in pieces as I am using it as a donor for a parts caster, it has a beautiful 1 piece ash body, this is a Korean Protone Strat from '97. The other two are a modified Korean E10 series circa '87 and a '15 MIM Jimi sig model. The Korean neck is great edges are rolled no fret sprout and I have owned this guitar for 5 years in the south west, I did replace the pups and electronics because the stock were garbage, but this guitar is a player. The Jimi Sig is a wonderful guitar too and needed no upgrades as far as I am concerned but the Squier is every bit its equal. IF you are ever in Alb, NM you are welcome to come over and try them out yourself. But we ain't burning any of them.

Bad Bowtie likes this.

15. Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2016
    CANADA
    this post is regarding the cheap 200 squire Indonesian /china crafted. it is not a pissing match over different models. I tried 5 squires they were all the same. bad run? who knows . I Fix all kinds of guitars daily. so I have had my hands on thousands of different guitars. it was not cost effective to fix what should have been right to begin with. returned it and replaced with a MIM standard. kids are happy! no bleeding fingers!

16. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Actually, your post was about Chinese and Indonesian Strats in general and not the 200 Squier in particular But you're right, it's no contest.

On a side note, I was at the music store today to get a glass slide and I got a chance to play the new line of MIA strats. The one I tried was almost as good as my MIJ

felis likes this.

17. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    oh i dont know.....ive thought about torching all my gear several times over the years.

18. Bad Bowtie

Bad Bowtie Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2016
    CANADA
    a
    " I had a 2016 Squire deluxe" crafted in china/Indonesia 199. so yes it was regarding the squire in particular. :thumb:

19. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Yup

20. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    No disrespect . . . but, 5 Squiers makes you some kind of expert? I'm in the CV camp and can testify to the quality of many of the more recent work coming from there. Don't know what a 200 squire I/c crafted is, but your posts are sounding a bit "trollish" in my humble opinion. o_O

LRS! likes this.