Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I got a Seafoam Strat for Christmas ...like it!

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Philo426, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    Cool but I prefer a waterslide decal with the correct font

2. DaveyC

DaveyC Strat-Talk Member

Dec 21, 2016
    East Sussex
    Happy NGD, cool colour.
    Mint green scratch plate would finish it off :thumb:

3. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I don't think that is the issue at all. I own Fenders and Squiers, I don't care what name is on my headstock, and exclusivity is not the issue. I believe the issue is that people get ripped off all the time with fake fenders.

On an almost daily basis we see "is this a real Fender" threads. Many (too many) turn out to be Squiers or cheap no name guitars with fake Fender decals on the headstock that someone who was not knowledgeable ended up paying way too much for. Even if the OP has no ill intent, the guitar will be around for decades, and he has no controle over what happens with it if he should ever part with it.

4. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    No-one has to get upset with anyone else about this round here, but the most obvious problem with putting a misleading decal on an instrument is it may get sold down the line to someone who doesn't know any better, and gets ripped off when they pay good money for their 'pawn shop prize'. It's an issue that has been discussed extensively in the past, so I'm not going to go into 'lecture mode', other than to say copyright infringement is illegal, so obviously cannot be condoned on Strat-Talk.

On the other hand, if you want to buy a decal that looks a bit like Fender, but is actually your own cheerful/funny/personal moniker, there are companies on ebay who will do that for you.

5. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    @Ebidis beat me to it! Actually, I'm surprised no-one has got round to saying how much they dislike Texas Specials. I have a set loaded in my MIJ and I've noticed everyone likes the tone unless I tell them they're TS in advance. :D

fattboyzz, Ebidis and altar like this.

6. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    I agree with what Edibis and Simoncroft are saying about the fake decals. Anyway I bought an HSS version of one of these from Musician's Friend to gift and it came out of the factory box dirty and with a broken string but it was unreal how good it sounded and felt stock that I almost kept it for myself.

7. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    True. No guarantee the next owner won’t try to fool the following owner

MississippiRob likes this.

8. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    Like I said before....If I decide to do it I would only paint the face of the headstock the back would retain the Squire and serial number info iding it as a Squire.Would not be confused as a Fender.

Stratoskater likes this.

9. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Well I'm sure by now you read Simon's response so I wont rehash that part. I will say, as has been said at least 5 times in this thread and like Fezz stated above, it is against the rules to talk about Fake Decals on ST. Putting a Fender on a Squier is faking it. Why is this so hard for some of you to understand?

One question I have never asked because I have never wanted/needed to change a decal on my guitars but does Fender (or lic dealer of Fender) offer replacement decals? If not then by nature any decal that copies a Fender one is a fake and therefore forbidden to be discussed on this site.

@Philo426 I really dig the idea of the Surfcaster Logo. That would be sweet to paint the headstock then like Otis did give it your own logo!

10. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Except by people who don't know anything about Strats, and have no Idea that the serial number can be authenticated by Fender, and just take for granted that it's real until they start looking at Strats on line after their purchase. Once again, we see it here all the time.

Stratoskater likes this.

11. altar

altar Strat-Talker

Oct 4, 2016
    USA
    I heard you used to be able to contact Fender for a replacement but you had to prove you had the model you wanted the decal for. Although I'm not sure they still do it or if it's even true.

Stratoskater likes this.

12. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    Yes but you would think that intelligent people would do their due dillegence before purchasing a guitar you know the whole Caveat deal?

13. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

So for arguments sake why doesn't anyone say "Are you ashamed of the MIM ceramics? Why did you change them??"

It's all about personal preference. I am not condoning anything, but everyone has the right to do as they wish with their belongings... the least we can do is respect their decisions, not question every single thing.

14. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    HNGD to the OP.

Happen to have a 2016 Affinity in that color myself. Mine is now modded ten ways to Tuesday and isn't even the same guitar anymore. Still kept the Squire name, but that is not here nor there, or for me to judge. To each their own. Here's a list of the mods just for fun...

StewMac Golden Age Alnico 5, 3 CTL Pots, CRL Five Way Switch, Switchcraft Jack, Orange Drop Cap, Orange Drop Treble Bleed, Vintage push back wire, Planet Waves Auto Trim Locking Tuners, and Dunlop Strap Locks.

(Sorry for the crappy pic)

20170722_161023.jpg

Hash McBrown likes this.

15. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Again, stating you are going to change a Squier decal for a Fender one means it is fake or not original to the guitar. This is against the rules of ST. Your comparison to pickups is not pertinent as there are no rules here regarding discussion of pickups. There used to be a rash of threads here years back about fake decals. ST put up rules about it to keep from getting sued. If it is not a decal from Fender or a licensed seller of theirs (assuming they do this) or a custom made one that does not infringe on FMIC copyright then it should not be a topic on ST.

fezz parka likes this.

16. Stratoskater

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    @Philo426 I believe your reasoning for changing decals and don’t believe you are trying or will try and defraud anyone despite my comments to others in this thread regarding this topic as a whole. Just wanted to make sure I told you that.

QMTstrat and YALCaster like this.

17. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Again, I am not condoning anything, and the OP is not selling his guitar on ST, so no rules are being broken. He is simply sharing his new guitar and saying he likes it. I see no reason to bash or question him, but do as you wish ;)

18. Philo426

Philo426 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2017
    Struthers,ohio
    I think based upon the responses that faked Strats must be a widespread problem .I checked Ebay abd Squire Strat decals are indeed available.That way if I choose to paint the headstock there should be no controversy and no cause for upset on this forum.

Hash McBrown, fezz parka and johnnymg like this.

19. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I have those same pickups in this Strat, and I really like them. They are as good as many, more expensive, pickups I have tried.

fullsizeoutput_e5.jpeg

Raiders757 likes this.

20. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    The big deal is that strong opposition to Fender decals on guitars that aren't Fenders comes from the top - the list owner. Yes people on here do take this issue a lot more seriously than they do on some other forums, but that's not going to change, you either have to live with it or go somewhere else.

The list owner (i.e. the bloke who decides if we may stay here or if we must go) won't tolerate anything that could be seen as supporting or encouraging fakes. You're welcome to argue with him if you want, but I wouldn't advise it! Read the rules carefully as they outline what discussion is or is not permitted.

It's simple: on ST, if you apply a Fender decal to a guitar that isn't a Fender, you will be criticised for doing so. I did this to one guitar a few years ago & I tend to keep quiet about it. If I faced the same decision today, I probably wouldn't do it.

QMTstrat likes this.