Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I guess I am a strat guy

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by sikoniko, Nov 12, 2017.

1. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

I've always considered myself a Strat AND Les Paul guy. The right tool for the job. I've consistently owned one of each most of my guitar playing life, once I could afford them.

Today that changes. I have decided to trade my 2013 Historic Makeover Les Paul for an early 1957 ash-body refinished strat. I hope I won't regret it, but they don't make vintage guitars anymore and I feel like I can always get another reissue Les Paul, or one day get a conversion.

I'm justifying it because I do own a '63 SG, so I won't be without a humbucker option. My buddy thinks I'm crazy, because he calls my LP a 'keeper'. I'm sure it is... wish me luck that I don't end up regretting this decision.

Percy and T Guitar Floyd like this.

2. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2009
    New Jersey, USA
    Is the deal for a trade only?

If not, then why not just buy the '57 Strat?
    Collect them all, kids!

3. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

It's a straight trade. no money exchange at all. collect them all is an ideal world I don't live in.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

4. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    You
    You decided what? And even now, you're hoping that you won't regret it?
    All the signs are there, mate, so you can see the wall, but we can't help you if you're still determined to run into it face first.
    Don't do the trade. If you want the Strat, buy it.
    But honestly, the $s you'd save in the trade are not worth the heartache of regretting letting the LP go.
    Just ask around here. You can count the guys who don't regret giving a guitar away on one hand.

Edit: also, you think you don't need an LP 'cause you got your SG? If that could actually work, the SG would have replaced the LP like Gibson had intended it to do ages ago. And today who are Gibson's two faithful carthorses?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    dante1963 and gjohnson441496 like this.

5. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

to be honest, the Les Paul has been sitting in its case in the closet for almost a year now. If I really needed it, would that be the case? I haven't played it with any level of regularity since my buddy moved away last October and jam nights stopped.

I actually traded my 'other' Les Paul for the SG.

My next guitar will be a '58 single cut LP Jr. I'm not really thinking about how I will replace it.

Ecosse and T Guitar Floyd like this.

6. chilipepperman

chilipepperman Strat-Talk Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Maryland
    Best wishes in enjoying your new old strat, Siko

7. Eddie H

Eddie H Strat-Talk Member

Nov 11, 2017
    New York, NY
    I will concur with the OP. All these years I've been an LP guy. I always preferred the thicker and warmer tone.

But this past year has been like an awakening for me. I just never knew how flexible and diverse a Strat can be. I have ONE Epi LPC ... and 6 Strats in various pickup configurations. Plus, the Strats are far more fun to mod and make my own.

8. Silvercaster

Silvercaster Strat-Talk Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Sweden
    Go for it. If you regret, you learn something about yourself. If the LP has been in the closet for one year it must be pissed on you, so let it go!

9. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Strat-Talker

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Can’t help you on this one. I need to have both in the situation I’m in. My favorite LP, SG (special), Strat and Tele all get played much. However, all my guitars that stay in their case for over 3 months need to go. It’s almost time to let some previous keepers go but I never regretted. If they don’t get played anymore they are just not up for the job. Me however, I never trade. The risk of regretting is slightly bigger in that case.

10. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    Sounds like a very good trade to me. What would be the value of a 57 refin, about $10k? Does it have the original pickups?

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

11. steben

steben Senior Stratmaster

Aug 9, 2012
    Zulte, Belgium
    Funny discussion on a Strat forum, no? :D

Actually I love SG's more than LP's.

Bluebird_12 likes this.

12. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2016
    The Crossroads
    Just realize vintage strat's aren't the same quality of those Gibson reissues. If you're fine with trading for a lesser quality instrument for "mojo" and bragging rights then cool, but if you really love the tone, feel, and playability more then it's a fair trade. I love my 64' but it's not a work of art, no real skill went into making it, but I'm also a strat player and it filled a childhood dream.

13. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    The EU
    In that case, yes, it would be best to pass the LP on to a new, loving home.
    If you get a Strat out of the trade, all the better.

14. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

I'm pretty sure you can get another LP if you want one later. Enjoy your new guitar.

15. crashbelt

crashbelt Strat-Talker

Feb 27, 2012
    England
    Go for it. You'e gonna feel awesome with a 57 Strat. I admit I'm seriously into the old stuff but i dont think youll regret it:D

16. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    Hooray for you! Pay no attention to those naysayers behind the curtain. To my way of thinking, if it's an ash body '57, it would have probably been a translucent blond finish originally, since the Strats had gone to alder in '56 (for the sunbursts and finishes that needed to not show grain pattern). It would look great redone in a blond finish!

I'm a Strat guy too, after many unsatisfactory flings with LPs (and all the others out there) and came to the conclusion that Strats are the ultimate guitars and . . . ultimate works of art! :) :cool: :D

17. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Strat-O-Master

Jan 13, 2010
    USA
    You're trading a reissue LP for an actual '57 Strat (refin'd)? I think you are winning that one, big time.

Adam Wolfaardt, slowerhand and Nate D like this.

18. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    I wouldn’t conclude you no longer want the LP because it’s been in mothballs for a year. I’ve played my Tele very little over the past year or so but I know I’ll sooner or later get a new neck on it and the booteek Squier will go on vacation. I buy into the advice of those who are saying don’t part with a good guitar.

Nate D likes this.

19. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talker

What's there to regrett?? In most cases the acoustic tone qualities of a 1957 is thousand times better that any new reissue guitar. It is not even comparable. A 2013 historic is not even close to a real 50's les paul. And if you like maple boards you won't find anything better than a 50's strat. I think you've done a great swap. Congratulations :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

20. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

what do you guys think? Ash or Alder? I can't decide... BTW - I know there are non-original parts on the guitar. I'll fix that soon. Except the round string tree. I gave the guy back the correct one because I like the look of the round string tree better on '50s strats.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]