Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I hate Humbucker Pickups...

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by sadmoodyfrazier, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I love humbuckers - never had any problem with them, ever.

Tone Deaf, gwjensen, Nate D and 3 others like this.
  2. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Joe shows how

3bolt79 and amstratnut like this.
  3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    You gotta lower neck a lot, especially bass side.

Namelyguitar and jtees4 like this.
  4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    So frikkin cool.

3bolt79 likes this.
  5. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England
    On a Gibson you have, as already stated separate volume controls for each humbucker. Plus of course you have the normal height controls like a Strat, in addition to (what a Strat) doesn't have) individual pole height adjustments too.

Unless you have wildly different powered humbuckers I don't see how you can have a problem.

gwjensen and 3bolt79 like this.
  6. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2018
    Italy
    I always ajdust my guitars in every aspect and I can't make the center position play very different from the neck one on two-hum guitars. Especially on my Gibson SG with a couple SD59.

7. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master

Just to clarify, is the issue with the balance of volume between bridge and neck OR the middle position being overpowered by the neck pickup OR both?

I'd start by measuring resistance on both pickups and compare, the bridge should be hotter (higher resistance). If this is the case, raise the bridge pickup close to the strings (closer than you would with Alnico single coils) and drop the neck pickup a lot and see if the balance is better.

If the neck is a lot hotter than the bridge you may not be able to balance them off as the string vibration is always greater at the neck point.

Good luck.

sadmoodyfrazier likes this.
  8. sadmoodyfrazier

Sep 23, 2018
    Italy
    The neck pickup is always overpowered on the bridge in every gibson style guitar I have so the center position alway sounds just like the neck. No matter if I raise the bridge or lower the neck, no matter how I tune the polepieces... the thing is always the same as much that I think it's a "gibson" peculiarity. And I hate it. I've worked on Gibson, Seymour Duncan, Tonerider, Kluson and Epiphone humbuckers... all act just the same on every gibson guitar.

9. SachaPlusDeluxe

SachaPlusDeluxe Strat-O-Master

It's gotta be the way you've EQ'd your amp then which accentuates the low-mids and low end. I've worked on plenty of humbucker guitars and I have a fair few (V, Explorer, LP Standard with SD Slash pups, Gretsch Pro Jet, Tele Deluxe, Epi Dot with Gibson pups, Cabronita, LP Junior Hondo II copy) and this issue can present itself but can always be remedied with dropping the neck pickup height and raising the bridge.

If you have you amp EQ'q for a Strat with vintage style pups, that'll be your issue as generally people will roll off the treble on the amp and push up the bass and mids to remove the perceived "thinness" of single coils. Using a Humbucker equipped guitar would then show the issues you're talking about.

10. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    it's a poor workman who blames his tools

11. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Dec 21, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Aren’t Humbuckers what single coils are when they grow up?:rolleyes:

YeOldeRocker likes this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

Jun 30, 2016
    meridianam altum centralis
    Those little round things down there....they aren't switches. They work in between 0 and 10. Must...learn...knobs....

Namelyguitar, Nate D and StratMike10 like this.
  13. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 8, 2010
    Florida
    Spock is not interested in solutions, already made up his mind that humbuckers, LP's, and SG's suck. Nothing to see here, keep movin.

14. sadmoodyfrazier

Sep 23, 2018
    Italy
    I'm actually studying for an exam. I have it on 18th of this month. This is the reason why I'm not very present. I'm sorry.

15. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I have no problem balancing humbuckers.

must be user error.

gwjensen, Namelyguitar and bassetman like this.
  16. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules! Strat-Talk Supporter

This is a very insightful. Also I normally always have my bridge pickup volume at 8 ish mostly and then turn it to 10 for a boost and tone about 5 or 6 ish. On the neck I normally have the volume rolled back just a touch and the tone normally at 10 and roll it back if needed. If you have an amp with 2 channels, eq one to have a bit more treble if not having a boost or od pedal or an eq pedal set with the treble up some will help with the those bass frequencies on the neck pickup.

Nate D, bassetman and SachaPlusDeluxe like this.
  17. bassetman

bassetman Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 14, 2018
    Pomeroy, WA
    I love pick ups. Humbucker or single P90 to Filtertron. They all have their own sounds and the combination s are endless. Just because you have a humbucker route does not mean you neeed to put a humbucker in it. Lots of others styles in that size. Life is too short to hate things .....adapt.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 8:58 AM
    The Strat Dude likes this.
  18. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    No one makes faces like Joe!