Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I hate the Bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dondante, Oct 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM.

1. dondante

dondante Strat-Talk Member

May 2, 2014
    mobile

You just solved my "middle pickup " problem. That may solve a lot of it.

2. TheToneBoyar

TheToneBoyar Strat-Talk Member

Wednesday
    NYC
    I had the same experience with Strats regarding the bridge PU being unusable. Over time, though, I found my sound, and funnily enough I don't even have to use the tone knob on the bridge PU anymore because the amp + settings I use takes out the perfect amount of treble for there to be balance across all 5 positions. Even when I go out to play and I've got to use a place's backline, I now know how to adjust the amp so that the sound will be as good as it gets without touching the tone knob.

This guy's got the right idea! And isn't nearly as long winded as I was :D

3. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    dondante likes this.

4. dondante

May 2, 2014
    mobile
    Ughh I just changed strings. So I'll have to wait until next string change to pull the pickguard out to solder middle to the other tone pot.

5. Dick Blackmore

Dick Blackmore Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2017
    San Diego
    hehe good to know...its funny to me because my first strat was a Stratocaster Deluxe Plus and as you may know, those have the bridge/middle wired to TBX tone pots it has always struck me as odd that most Strats don't have this.

dondante likes this.

6. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    Yeah with a lot of gain it has a slurpy goopy sticky sound which is good for hard rock, especially late 60s early 70s stuff. And for solos you can wire it in series with the neck and it will rip your eyeballs out.

guitarman1984 and dondante like this.

7. dondante

May 2, 2014
    mobile
    rolandson likes this.

8. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2012
    Barrow Upon Soar, UK
    I've owned 4 strats in my time and played a lot more, some with bridge humbuckers.

The bridge pup IMO is unusable on its own, too shrill and brittle. Great in combo with the mid pup however.

Just don't bother with it.

dondante likes this.

9. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    no, definitely not.

dondante likes this.

10. dondante

May 2, 2014
    mobile
    Wiring the possibility for all three pickups on is already on my list. So I would have that function also. Position 5 with the bridge activated. Etc.

I think I'll ad a push push to the volume when I find out what value pot that is and what brand to use.

11. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    That would be your quack, which is the reason God put Stratocasters on this earth.

Not to get into a religious debate.

himijendrix, thomaswayne and TomH8 like this.

12. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    I should get a 7 way switch because I'd really like to try all three pickups at once too. I just have bridge/neck. So I also don't have just neck. The world has enough SRV clones but I would still like that throaty sound from time to time. Although I can get in the neighborhood with b/n if I turn down the bridge tone. Yes, my bridge pickup is wired to a tone pot! Yippee!

13. NerNer

NerNer Strat-Talk Member

Sep 22, 2017
    New York
    I am a new Strat player as well and I have taken a liking to the bridge pup. It felt a bit harsh at first but after some tweaking I found some very useful tones. Try rolling back the guitars vol control a little, then adjust the tone control on your guitar and amp. I'm sure you'll find some nice tones as well. Good luck!

14. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Go to master volume, master tone, and use the second tone knob as a blender. Many blender circuits and options out there but the one I like the best is the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod... blends fro SSS to HSH. Since you like the humbucker bridge tones then this will get you there. It's a wiring only change not any new pickups.

15. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va
    I like mine. Not normal I know but I like the bite it has

Ebidis and Lone Woof like this.

16. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2010
    The Midwest
    That's where I'm at as well--love the combo position of the bridge and middle (bridge is wired to the first tone knob, knob placed around 7) and can spend all day with that combo, but never the bridge by itself.

17. jstewart

jstewart Strat-O-Master

Feb 10, 2013
    Toluca Lake
    Sorry to hear. I love the bridge pickup.

fezz parka likes this.

18. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Strat-O-Master

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Why wait for a string change? Put a capo at the first or second fret and tug at the strings over the pickup area, while loosening the tuning machines. This keeps the strings from "sproinging" off the tuning posts. Once there is enough slack, simply remove the pick guard screws and slide the pick guard out from under the strings. Do your due and then reverse the process. This is one of the benefits of the Stratocaster design. Even though detuning and re-tuning the strings a few times may shorten their life a bit, it still helps make electronics twiddlin' & tweakin' a bit more convenient! having the right value tone cap(s) for your tastes is also very helpful. On my favorite Stats, I prefer a "no-load" tone pot, which is completely out of the circuit when on 10 and then from there on down, it rolls off highs as one would expect, but with the choice of the right capacitor, when it gets to zero, it creates a mid range "hump/boost" that closely approximates a humbucker-ish tone. I can't recall if my caps are 0.015 or 0.022, but experimentation will get you where you want to go. Also, turning the guitar volume down just a touch (from 10 to 9 1/2 or so) cuts a fair amount of highs and shrillness.

And FWIW, the bridge pickup's honesty, clarity and scalpel like precision make it quite useful in developing different picking techniques and positions, as it really accentuates and pinpoints those differences. Of course, if one is coming from "humbucker land" it can definitely take some getting used to.

I love the bridge pup, in the worst ways!:p

Just My $.02,
    Gene

dondante likes this.

19. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

The bridge pickup, A5, 5.5k, connected to a master tone. Clean, played with fingers. Sounds great to me.

lineboat, MagnusR, dondante and 5 others like this.

20. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Stratford,Ontario
    I don't have mine wired for series, but I did put in a neck on switch, to get bridge+neck and all 3 on, as well as the neck/bridge tone pot being a TBX now.

[​IMG]

Vjerilood likes this.