Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I hate the Bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by dondante, Oct 11, 2017.

1. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-Talker

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    Seymour Duncan TwangBanger bridge pickup with metal plate on the bottom. It's slightly over wound and sounds a bit more like a Tele pickup.

1. Dedicated tone pot for the bridge position.

2. No tone on the middle. (better quack tones) Set the amp for the best middle tone and use the tone and blender to dial in the other two.

3. No tone on the neck either but rather use that pot wired as blend control to blend neck and bridge together gradually.

4. No treble bleed so you can also roll off highs with the volume when you want to. This works in all pickup positions.

Now you have three different ways to control the highs while using the bridge pickup.
    (I use a volume pedal at the end of the chain to control overall volume without any treble loss)

S Mac

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017

2. Silverman

Silverman Strat-Talk Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Evanston
    You just need to rotate the bridge position out of your selector switch and swap it in for bridge + neck.

3. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    Send it to me, it'll sound great in the neck position of my partscaster. :)

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Now that's just silly, because it's a bridge pickup. :D

5. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-Talker

Sep 4, 2016
    Oxford England
    But it would improve the sound though don't you think and I get a free pick up. What's silly about that?

6. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    But if you put the OP's shrill, harsh sounding bridge pickup in the neck pickup slot of your partscaster, then you will have a shrill, harsh sounding bridge pickup tone in the neck position of your guitar. Isn't that how it works? :D

7. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster Vendor Member

I am not a fan of most single coils in the bridge...I usually wind up changing it to a humbucker or a thicker, higher output single coil.

brians likes this.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

I like all of my pickups to be roughly the same DCR. No RWRP either. Just like the old ones. If you wanna cut through, the bridge is where it's at. Roll back either the volume or tone if you have it hooked up, and harshness will dissipate. Also, what is "ice pick" when played by itself can blend in just fine in a band situation or on a recording.

More bridge pickup noise. Dis time on da blooze:

9. Ebidis

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    This is the most true statement made in this thread so far. :thumb:

10. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

Feb 21, 2013
    Sweden
    If you crank up the gain it's not that bad. Picks are brighter but that's good and bad and in a way I like that.

fezz parka likes this.

11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Strat-O-Master

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Fezz,
    Do you always play without a pick? I always keep a Herco nylon in my wallet "just in case" I wind up having to bang out a lot of Check Berry rhythms on a rig that is just lacking that little bit of extra "oomph" needed while picking more lightly. I've found that the tip/stump of my index finger requires being kept at a delicate balance of conditioning and could easily get "blown out" if I'm too aggressive for too long! The Herco has not come out once in many years, as I rarely go anywhere without my "trimmed down" rig of Tweed Deluxe/Guitar/Wah/Two Cables! To me, playing someone else's rig is like wearing someone else's underwear!
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

12. supernintendo64

supernintendo64 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Alabama
    I never had a problem with it. I like it that way, but that's just my opinion.

montemerrick likes this.

13. RPKennedy

RPKennedy Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Oconomowoc, WI
    I was thinking an SSL-5 would be the hot ticket.

Seymour Duncan likes this.

14. supernintendo64

supernintendo64 Strat-Talk Member

Apr 14, 2017
    Alabama
    Actually I thought it was because he was really into western swing music at the time so he wanted the bridge pickup on the Strat to sound almost like a pedal-steel guitar.

fezz parka likes this.

15. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Mostly . I'll use one if a track really calls for it. But usually just my fingers.

This was one of the Improv Challenges here on ST. One take, off the top of my head. Pick, and Strat bridge.

16. PCollen

PCollen Strat-O-Master

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    You could use a blend control to roll in the bridge pickup to any degree you want with the neck, neck+middle, or middle pickup selections. But that would force you to having just one master tone control. Or perhaps a bridge tone pot with a push-pull switch to add in the bridge to the other selections (above). FWIW, the CP50 Strat offers the neck+bridge pickup combo in lieu of the neck+middle combo; nice option.

17. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-Talker

Jun 21, 2013
    Get a MXR ten band graphic EQ, make it sound like what ever you want nd you can just hit the button for your neck and middle pickups when you don’t need it

18. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    The weakest part of the Strat in my opinion. The best one I've played is the Texas Special bridge pickup but it still sounds a smidge too "sparkly". Some put a humbucker in the bridge but then you lose that position 2 quack...

A good Tele bridge pickup smokes but then you lose that stratty everything else......

You just can't win.

Brucifer85 likes this.

19. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Strat-O-Master

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    WOW!
    That's a seriously bizarre blend of many genres and styles. Well executed!
    Gene

fezz parka likes this.

20. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talk Member

Jul 22, 2011
    Venice, CA
    I feel exactly like the OP. I love the neck pickup on a Strat. I tried to like the bridge pickup but other guitars with Gretsch Dynasonics, P90s and humbuckers beat my Strat for bridge pickup tone recently in the studio. I had a humbucker sized TV Jones Power'tron so I installed that in my Strat as an experiment. I wired it up to the first volume knob and used a 1 meg pot. I moved the bridge Tex-Mex pickup to the middle, left the neck pickup in the neck and wired those to a 3 way switch and use the second knob as volume for these two pickups with a 250K pot. The third knob is the master tone for the whole guitar. I notice I can get the Strat bridge sound if I select the middle pickup and blend in a bit of the Power'tron to bring back some of the highs that are missing when I moved the higher output bridge pickup to the middle. I'm very happy with it so far.

[​IMG]