Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I have $1200+- to spend on a strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by fuzz_face, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ido1957

ido1957 Strat-O-Master

Oct 13, 2014
    Canada
    There's a million kinds of Traditional Strats and you'll get a million opinions on which is best.

2. Tim S

Tim S Strat-Talker

Dec 31, 2015
    NYS
    Hmm.. If you can scrape together another $100, I might let you buy my 1998 MIM Standard. :rolleyes:

3. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    Don't listen to any advice here but carolinaeasy's. :p There are a lot of variations on the Strat, and price or other people's preferences won't tell you which one is right for you. For me, it's all about the neck. There are different shapes, different sizes and different fingerboard radii. Pickups and even bodies can be changed any time, but the neck has to feel right for YOU.

That said, if I had to buy another Strat and had $1200, I'd wait for a deal on the old Vintage Hot Rod 60s Stratocaster. The slightly chunkier C neck and 7.25-12" radius hit a sweet spot for me. The most obvious choice for your budget for most people would be an American Standard, but I just don't like the Modern C neck. I prefer something thicker.

simoncroft likes this.

4. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

Feb 29, 2012
    Chicagoland
    Depends on what kind of specs you want. Don't feel like you need to spend the entire wad of cash just because you have it.

You can get a new MIM for $600, put in a new set of pickups (or, if you like the stock pickups, do nothing), and you have a great guitar. You can get a used MIM for much less.

The main differences from MIMs and MIAs, in terms of what I personally care about, are (1) the nut width (MIMs are narrower), and (2) pickups. The former can't really be changed, so if that's an issue, stick with the MIAs. The latter issue can be changed easily.

I have both a MIM and MIA. Both great guitars. I honesty don't think the MIA is worth the substantial additional cost, but if I cared about having a wider nut, then the additional cost would be worth it.

If you go the MIM route, you can apply the extra money toward a good setup and fret level (which you may need even on an MIA), a good amp, pedals, etc.

5. StillAlive&Well

StillAlive&Well Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 4, 2014
    Frog, Texas
    Oh man, I love me some oysters.

Ebidis likes this.

6. GoodTexan

GoodTexan Strat-Talker

Aug 5, 2016
    Texas
    I agree with the others in that the Eric Johnson signature model is about the best to pick up for this price. Has everything you need, and you don't need to do anything to it. I may let go of my first year-made Eric Johnson strat. I love it, but it never gets played. Already has that first ding, so you don't have to worry about that!

Bodean likes this.