Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I just remembered why I record/release so little music.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dadocaster, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's 'cause it's difficult and time consuming.

2. LPBlue

LPBlue "That Guy", again...dammit! Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 19, 2012
    Canada, near the other end
    I've heard that equated to "work" but never to music.:sneaky:

The Strat Dude and Yves like this.
  3. Dadocaster

Then you ain't doin' it right. Music IS work.

Thrup'ny Bit and The Strat Dude like this.
  4. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 22, 2014
    Same Shed Different Day
    The making is the thing. Pride in a finished project is always tempered with an ear that hears every detail we'd like to go back and do differently. But the making, as many takes as I want which can be redone at will. the listening and thinking and enjoying. That's what it's all about. For me.

5. tery

tery Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 31, 2014
    Tennessee
    If it was easy everyone would do it .

Stark, davidKOS, dogletnoir and 4 others like this.
  6. LPBlue

Jul 19, 2012
    Music is a labor of love my friend! That is never "work" or you may be doing it for the wrong reasons?:sneaky:

7. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

8. Dadocaster

The creation is for sure at the root of it, but I have a few goal oriented things that I would like to do and I need to work a bit faster... :D

9. Dadocaster

Disagree strongly, friend.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  10. LPBlue

Jul 19, 2012
    When you love what you are doing, is that really "work" as you see it or just what you have to do?:sneaky:

11. Dadocaster

At a certain point, things turn technical. You can love the hell out of the music, while having to work at the 8 zillion technical points that have to be addressed.

simoncroft and LPBlue like this.
  12. LPBlue

Jul 19, 2012
    No Schitt Sherlock! I've been doing it since the 70s, keeping up with tech and the learning curve but in the end, its just for me. I have no desire to be a rock star but I enjoy being able to lay down what my head hears "just for me".:rolleyes:

13. roger@pennyflic

roger@pennyflic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 4, 2013
    melbourne
    For me I don't think there is a HUGE amount of pleasure in the doing. Your right, it is work.

The pleasure, I think, comes in the listening after and thinking, "Gee Wizz, I can do that, I could of been a contender". :):)

simoncroft and LPBlue like this.
  14. Dadocaster

Nicely put...

simoncroft and roger@pennyflic like this.
  15. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Have you thought about focusing on either the playing or the recording instead the whole thing? Maybe that would take some pressure off one or the other?

16. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I know why I don't, nobody wants to hear me...

Mansonienne and nuculer terrist like this.
  17. 33db

33db Strat-Talker

Dec 14, 2018
    Earth
    If I record, I feel like I do 30 minutes of playing and 3 hours of twiddling knobs, clearly I'm not doing it right.

18. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    I have digitized many reels of analog tape from the 1980s, the best tracks from which I'm hoping will be released commercially this year. The composer/performer is no longer a professional musician, but heads up a company employing about 1,000 people. As a result, he can't always respond quickly to any questions I might have, especially if they mean he has to listen to multiple mixes.

For me, this a labor of love, because it is a joy to bring so many great unreleased compositions back to life, especially as they are the work of one of my best friends since school days. Plus, it's really great music!

Is it also work? Oh yes! I had to source and buy old analog tape machines in order to perform the transfers. I had to learn from others, especially @fezz parka, how to bake the old tapes in order to make them playable again.

I've developed my own techniques for getting songs that had drifted slightly in tempo due to tape stretch, and wow/flutter, back to an exact tempo. Because I can't hear tape hiss too well, I've had to work out how to see it, to help me get rid of it.

By the time we're finished, I'll have thousands of hours invested in this project. The 'housekeeping' and logging alone are serious tasks. That's work.

But it's worth it, not least because I'm learning so much, to the extent I can now help others to solve problems I didn't understand even a few weeks ago.

The big prize is an album we can both be proud of, and will hopefully sell reasonably well.

Meanwhile, I have another project where the focus is more on what I can deliver as a musician and arranger. Naturally, that's a lot of fun, but I'll still put a lot of work into it. (What I mean by that is many hours of focused application, long after the initial excitement of playing a new part.)

I'm getting too old to record music that is 'quite nice', according to a few friends. If I have to work my butt off to deliver productions that really cut it, I don't care. :thumb:

19. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 1, 2013
    northeastern us
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    simoncroft and montemerrick like this.
  20. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    Maybe you're over complicating things.

simoncroft likes this.