Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I like them larger in the back...help me out, please!

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by 11 Gauge, Oct 3, 2017.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Strat-Talk Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Near BWI Int'l
    Okay, so after years and years of twiddling around with too many combos of pickups, I've come to realize that I'm pretty much okay with stock/trad/'vintage' Strat neck and middle pickups, but really gravitate towards something significantly fatter at the bridge.

...Part of this probably has to do with being a Tele player for so long now, and not really finding something to sound hot or overwound with what is oftentimes a higher DC resistance, and probably also has a few more henries as well.

Anyway, as useless as DC resistances are, I know that more coil winds = less treble = 'fatter sound.' My dilemma is that the couple of Strats or Strat-type guitars that I have only have trad/vintage type pickups at the bridge, and they're way too bright for my tastes.

I also don't think it's necessary to drop a ton of coin on pickups, particularly when I just have special needs for one in a set of three. So I'm kind of looking at stuff like the Tone Rider City Limits bridge unit or similar, provided I can find one (Reverb seems to have individual Tonerider stuff, sometimes). That said, if I could get some kind of a basic list of affordable candidates to try, I'd be most appreciative.

Oh yeah - along with reasonably priced, if you have recommendations for stuff that's particularly off the shelf and readily available, that would be cool, too. Doesn't matter if they're used or new, either.

mshivy likes this.

2. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Yellowdawg likes this.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I agree with you, so try a Seymour Duncan Twangbanger. Wound to about 8k, it's fatter, warmer & a little more "compressed" than a typical Strat bridge pickup. It has a metal baseplate like a Tele pickup & is designed to sound closer to a Tele bridge pickup - which seems to be exactly what you want. I love them - great pickup & widely available too.

Here's a Strat of mine fitted with a Twangbanger.

4. mshivy

mshivy Most Honored Senior Member

It may not be what you’re looking for, but here’s my attempt at disguising a bridge humbucker:

A6561814-2667-4F83-ADC3-303B97C9AB59.jpeg

There’s a slanted zebra Dimarzio PAF in the bridge.
    I find the meduim/ Vintage output humbuckers to work pretty well with regular single coils

5. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    I put a Zexcoil Juice Bucker in the rear and love it. Run about a hundred bucks. Looks a little different (single coil drop in), but I kind of like the look.

Good luck on your search !!

6. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    I'll second the Rose suggestion. I have a set with Mariposas in the neck and middle and Buff Beauty in the bridge, which is overwound, and they kill! Ken also makes a single-sized P-90. Another small winder to consider is BG. I have a set of Bryan's Phattys which venture into P-90 territory, but retain plenty of a strat's chime.

Yellowdawg likes this.

7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    The D. Allen Echoes set gives you very traditional-sounding pickups at the mid and neck position, but the bridge has a fat overwind. The cool thing is, you can tap it to give it a traditional sound as well.

usul1978 likes this.

8. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Fender Fat 50s
    Tex Mex.
    Texas Special.
    :D

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I like some junk in the trunk! :thumb:

David Garner, TomH8 and Percy like this.

10. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    That sounds amazing and is a great looking guitar also !

David Garner likes this.

11. Yellowdawg

Yellowdawg Strat-Talker

Jun 29, 2016
    Puyallup, Washington
    I don't think I can go to anything but rose now... So sweet, cheap and vintage

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Not me playing it, sadly, but it's a great sounding guitar, All Duncans - the N & B are APS-1s, the Alnico IIs.

henderman likes this.

13. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA

14. Inverness

Inverness Senior Stratmaster

Dec 24, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Weird. Their main site works, but the store that was working yesterday does indeed seem to be down.

15. 11 Gauge

Aug 5, 2017
    Near BWI Int'l
    At $30 for a single pickup, they're possibly just what I was looking for. Thanks.

16. 11 Gauge

Aug 5, 2017
    Near BWI Int'l
    The Zexcoils look really interesting, and the pricing looks to be fair given what goes into making them. They do have the new line that are ~$80, and I hope to get some of them at some point in the future.

As an aside, the Zexcoil site is the first one I've been to in IDK how many years that really looks to have a different product with numerous improvements, and the abundance of technical information is actually very useful and engaging, IMO. I can see how some prospective customers would get turned off by the non-traditional look, but the reasons for the appearance necessitated by the design isn't a deal breaker for me.

...Even at $110 or so for the hand-made Zexcoils, that's certainly considerably cheaper than a lot of other stuff on the market.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

17. 11 Gauge

Aug 5, 2017
    Near BWI Int'l
    The price is fair for the set, but do they sell just the bridge unit? I didn't poke around at the site much. But like the new Zexcoil offerings that aren't (mostly) hand-made, it looks like a lot of bang for the buck.

18. 11 Gauge

Aug 5, 2017
    Near BWI Int'l
    Thanks - I had kind of forgotten about SD, because I'd actually started to favor other brands for Tele pickups, and also other non-Fender types, for the rare times I might be looking at something like that. I'm sure they are widely available, and if bought used, the price is probably reasonable. I also kind of liked the effect I've heard from one or two baseplate-fitted Strat pickups that I've heard - I like how they induce eddy currents to make for something a 'little extra.'

Seymour Duncan likes this.

19. 11 Gauge

Aug 5, 2017
    Near BWI Int'l
    Never tried the Fat 50's. Never dawned on me that the Tex Mex stuff was significantly fatter, either (I always think of Jimmy Vaughan's tone, and it sounds pretty 'traditional' to me). Funny thing about the Texas Specials - I've had a bunch of them for the Tele, but not for Strats.

Anyway, thanks. I'm sure there's a metric ton of that stuff on the used market, so it should fit the categories of easy to find and decently priced...

20. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    I'm not sure; you might want to get ahold of them directly. If you do wind up going with the Zex though, I don't have personal experience with them but they've gotten nothing but great reviews from what I've seen.