Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I like them larger in the back...help me out, please!

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by 11 Gauge, Oct 3, 2017.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, JLV uses Tex Mex like his little brother used Texas Specials. ;)

The Tex Mex bridge is around 7.4k. Significantly hotter than a trad pickup. My '65 bridge is 5.5k. :D

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Jimmie's classic tracks (made with the T-Birds) used ordinary vintage Strat pickups - often from his white '62. He's only switched to Tex-Mex pickups in more recent years. Having seen him often in the 80s & also more recently, there's no doubt that his tone (which was magnificent) has changed into something harsh & unpleasant. Jimmie sounded better before he used Tex-Mex pickups.

And I don't think that any of the recordings Stevie made feature Texas Specials. His classic sound also came from vintage style pickups.

fezz parka likes this.

3. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Vintage 57. Not bright. Have them in all 3 portions.

4. fezz parka

Hence the wink after the statement. I've seen Jimmie a bunch of times over the years datingng back to club dates in the early 80's too. Great tone with the T-Birds. Not so much lately.

stratman323 likes this.

5. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I'm glad to hear you say that fezz, as not many people seem to have noticed the change in his tone over the years. Mind you, he often doesn't use a plectrum these days, & he plays much less rhythm guitar than he used to, but hard hitting rhythm guitar was really his main thing in the old days.

And his amps seem to have changed too, from what I can tell. I assume he hires amps when he's over here, but it always used to be a Twin in the T-Birds days, while now it's something that looks like a tweed Bassman. So the lack of reverb probably makes his tone "smaller" too, if you see what I mean.

6. fezz parka

When I'd see him, it was two Super Reverbs. One facing forward, one facing backwards. He sat in with the Paladins one night at Raji's in Hollywood. Played Dave's back up Guild and sounded just like Jimmie. This was around '88. Dave did the two SR thing like Jimmie did.

stratman323 likes this.

7. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Yes, folk from the US always say that he used a Super Reverb (or two). Same with Anson Funderburgh. Presumably the amp hire firms over here don't have Supers, only Twins, so whenever I heard Jimmie, Anson, Ronnie Earl, Alex Schultz or Smokin' Joe Kubek it's been through a Twin - and they all still sounded magnificent. Joe is the only one I can recall who managed to blow up one of his two Twins....

Presumably Leslies are available to hire over here as Jimmie used one (or something similar) for the 1985 Live From London DVD & other gigs around that time. And Chuck Leavell used one for his Hammond when he played the Albert Hall with Clapton. I assume Hammond organs tend to get hired overseas rather than shipped across The Pond?

8. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Strat-Talk Member

Aug 5, 2017
    Near BWI Int'l
    The last thing of his that I'm familiar with is his Out There album. If he used the Tex Mex stuff on that, which I'm assuming he did, they don't sound so bad. I seem to remember an interview or something indicating that different guitars were used on different tracks, so maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention.

That said, I don't play much stuff like JV, so whatever makes him sound good or bad won't apply for me.

9. Godiva

Godiva Strat-Talk Member

May 11, 2016
    Michigan

LOL, that's the first thing that crossed my mind when I read the title of the thread....he likes his women with big butts! :) Sorry, couldn't resist!

10. 11 Gauge

Aug 5, 2017
    Near BWI Int'l
    That was obviously just marketing by Fender, IMO. TTBOMK, SRV just stuck with whatever was in the Strats, and if they broke, I thought someone like Van Zandt was just rewinding them to be like they originally were before they broke.

Anyway, I never personally heard more than just a little smattering here and there of SRV on the bridge pickup alone. The one little bit that sticks out in my memory is from him playing Tin Pan Alley on the In The Beginning album. It had a thin and biting sound, but IMO in a good way...because that's what he preferred.

11. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Didn't he use Charley for Tin Pan Alley? Those weren't even "Fender type" pickups, they were based on Danelectro lipstick tube pickups. It was a bright sounding guitar, but sounded good to me. That track wouldn't have worked as well with Texas Specials, IMHO. Which is probably why he didn't use them.....

12. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-Talker

Sep 25, 2008
    silverdale wa
    This works for me:
    Seymour Duncan Twang Banger in the bridge.
    Dedicated tone on the the bridge pickup.
    Blend control to blend in some neck pickup with the bridge when desired.

Blending in some neck pickup beefs up the bridge pickup sound in a way different than just rolling off highs.
    Using either or both the tone and blender gives you a great amount of versatility.

S Mac

ZlurkCorzDog and Seymour Duncan like this.

13. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2011
    ok
    I don't know answer on exact product you are looking at. Mine is about three years old now and just bought the one and put it in bridge. Did the tap, but never split it. Email or call the guy. Very helpful when I did.

14. 11 Gauge

Aug 5, 2017
    Near BWI Int'l
    I thought that Charley, Lenny, and the others came along later, for the most part...

In the Beginning was a live taping of a show on April 1, 1980, and it's my understanding that Charley was built in '83. I think that Stevie got Yellow around the same time ('83/'84), both from Charley Wirz. Scotch came along in '85, apparently.

I think Red came along after 1980, because Stevie paid to have it repainted Fiesta Red - though it was originally sunburst. If he had the money to have Fender repaint it, I'd think it wouldn't have been so early on that he owned it.

He got Lenny sometime in '80 is my understanding, but it was a birthday present, so that would have been Oct 3, or a half a year after In the Beginning was recorded.

So, the only one that I'm sure that Stevie had in his possession in '80 was Number One, because he got it back in '73 sometime.

The Texas Specials were something that I don't think were finalized until after SRV was gone, but Jimmie must have signed off on their design as being okay for the signature model.

All of this said, I think it's probably getting into the weeds WRT variations on Strat pickup construction and materials, as used by any particular guitarist, famous or otherwise.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017

15. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster Vendor Member

For a fatter, less piercing tone, I've always liked the SSL-5 or 6, or the Quarter Pound. They still sound like single coils, but like they've been eating fried foods for a decade or so.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.

16. Odell

Odell Strat-Talk Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Nashville TN
    I remember you telling me you had some Dimarzio HS pickups laying around. I just put an HS2 into my bridge position, wired single coil like EJ used to do. It sounds great with the Fender '54 p/ups I've got in the neck and middle. The 54's are around 5k6. The HS2 in s/c mode is way higher but surprisingly is not overbearing. IMO, it's just about right in terms of output. If you try it, the red wire is hot, black and bare go to ground. That will give you the upper coil which is recommended. It's a cool vintage tone and sounds good through my pedals and the 101 mini.