Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I lost my place at band practice

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mjark, Mar 12, 2018 at 12:11 AM.

1. ryapou

ryapou Strat-Talker

May 28, 2012
    I would never move the equipment of my bandmates without asking them or at least talk about it first...he should have asked you first, even if it's his house.
    Then maybe you would have agreed and it wouldn't bother you and there would be no need to start a thread ... but then I would miss the image in my head of a bagpipe playing spongebob with a sock on his chilly willy, trying to pee in the refrigerator .

2. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Strat-O-Master

Jul 18, 2017
    Canton, Ohio
    Of course, he didn't want to move, but one day he showed up to practice to find that all his gear was in Santa Fe. :whistling:
    mjark, Thrup'ny Bit and Silvercrow like this.

3. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

That was the worst thing I’ve ever seen.

4. ultrahedgehog

ultrahedgehog Strat-Talker

Jan 14, 2015
    This should have been you. There's no excuse for this travesty.

5. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Some VERY funny stuff here! THANKS!

I don't get peeved about much- my line of work taught me to keep a cool head...most times! It only took about 15 years to "get there"! :confused:

BUT, I don't like passive / aggressive B.S. and B.S. in general. If there's a problem, come to me and talk about it. We'll either work it out or it'll work itself out.

We had a "co-leader" on one of the music teams I'm on in church. "Tough guy" but one of the biggest wimps around, in reality. His wife (who thought she was Beyonce or something- but not a very good singer, in fact) did not like electric guitar. Body language and her gossiping about it behind my back, brought it to my attention. One Sat night I get a call from the 'leader' "So, I thought you could set up on stage left, near the drums. I want to give you enough room to do your thing..."

What, am I a friggin' juggler? Fred Astaire? How much room do I need? That section is unbelievably far away from the singers, keyboards, etc.

I told him "That's far enough away to be in a different zip code. I'll be setting up where I usually do."

I always get there early Sunday to set up and loosen up. We usually only have about 30 minutes to sound check and go over any last minute changes. He (the 'leader') has my XLR and a 50' extension cord run over to FAR stage left. Dang! Took me five extra minutes to move it all back...

I wish I had a video of his face when he and his wife walked in. PRICELESS!

He said nothing and I'm sure he had told wifey that he had things under control. I invited him out to lunch later in the week and gave him an opportunity to tell me the real reason for him wanting to move me. He hemmed and hawed but finally admitted she didn't like having an electric guitar on "her" team. I told him he had a decision to make- re-arrange the teams or tell her to get over the electric guitar.

Incidentally, I do not play annoyingly loud and am considerate of everyone in the band. I'm there to add to our worship songs, not flaunt my (limited) prowess.

I stayed on the his team, but he and she finally 'stepped down' from the music teams altogether. He did not like the direction music was going in the church- which equated to SHE not liking the musical direction.

THAT KINDA stuff makes me MAD! Be real, be up front. I'd have moved to another team. Probably wrong on my part to "dig in"...

Sorry about the rant! I trust the O.P. is not in a similar predicament!

BallisticSquid and shupe13 like this.

6. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Silvercrow likes this.

7. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Well he had to set everything up by himself including the drums after our last gig, we hadn't met since then 2/11.
    West Coast Idea and Mansonienne like this.

8. shupe13

shupe13 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2010
    Greenfield, IN
    Just bust out the Woodstock Villanova Junction jam mid (any) Hill Song. Claim Devine intervention. That’s what I do.
    Silvercrow likes this.

9. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    L O V E IT!

Mansonienne likes this.

10. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    I don't think it was wrong. Sometimes you have to take a stand, why should they be allowed to just roll over you? How disrespectful is that?

I've been in situations in church groups where there was all sorts of gossip about the other people behind their back. Bothered me a lot. I even "joked" one time saying "I wonder what you guys say about me behind my back!?!". The irony that it was a church group and this was going on wasn't lost on me :). I eventually stopped doing it...they all had it covered and I didn't have time or patience for that bs.

Not just limited to church groups either. The drummer in my old band was quite passive aggressive. Nothing more inspiring than an eye roll because your guitar solo is going too long or a scrunched up face when you suggest the band cover a song by a band they don't like. This drummer is also in that church group...made for eachother LOL.
    Silvercrow likes this.

11. Silvercrow

Nov 6, 2014
    Bucks County, Pa.
    Sad, but all too often, true. Musicians can be the kindest, or most back-stabbing people around. Like everyone else in the world, I suppose!

We have an overall Worship Leader that is absolutely awesome now. 27 years old and leadership skills like you wouldn't believe. (Military guy, may have something to do with that...) NO B.S. and somehow, he keeps us all on track and invested in ourselves and each other!

BallisticSquid likes this.

12. Tube ToneChaser

Tube ToneChaser Strat-O-Master

Mar 30, 2017
    South Carolina; USA
    I have always despised practicing at someone's house- even in the best of scenarios. Maybe your band should consider renting/leasing a practice room at a "neutral site," hopefully about the same travel distance away for everyone. Most bands I've played in have done this. It eliminates MANY problems, like "who owns the house we're practicing in." Everyone in the band has an equal say in a rented practice room, because each of you is paying an equal amount of the rental cost each month. Everyone in the band gets the keypad code; you can spend time there tweaking your sound, or learning parts if needed, when the rest of the band isn't there. You can also leave all your gear set up & ready. Our families were happier too, because we weren't disrupting their lives with any of the great things that are part of band practice: volume, long hours, late nights, multiple vehicles in the driveway, etc., etc. Just an idea...

13. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

to be fair, if there was a spot I had been standing in for the last 8 years. there would be a little bit of pee there... intentional or not.
    s5tuart, Thrup'ny Bit, mjark and 3 others like this.

14. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    Start having practice at your house. Your house your rules.

15. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-Talker

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    I have found that when the gossip starts (in a variety of circles), I just say, "Be here or be talked about." The topic changes pretty quickly.

16. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015

17. Gladius

Gladius Strat-Talk Member

May 17, 2014
    Just make sure the guy that took your spot reads it!
    BallisticSquid likes this.