Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I need help deciding...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by qjenks23, Feb 9, 2019.

Which one do you think i should choose?

1. White road worn

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Candy apple red classic series

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Monterey strat

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Purple tele

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. qjenks23

qjenks23 New Member!

Dec 13, 2018
    Georgia
    Okay, so I’ve been on the site for awhile now and I’m finally asking something. I need help deciding which strat to get from my parents as my high school graduation present, I’ve never had a guitar over $400 since I’ve bought all of mine from work, and never had an actual fender (only a classic vibe tele, and a G-400 epi. SG) I’ve played these strats (and one tele) and like them all, but don’t know what to decide on. I’m stuck between the white Road worn 60’s strat, the candy Apple red classic series 60’s strat *NOT CLASSIC PLAYER*, the Monterey Jimi Hendrix strat (one he hand painted), and the purple limited edition Road Worn 50s tele. If any of you own these or just want to help a kid out I’d be in your debt as this is my first actual quality guitar. Thank you!
    P.S. yes i know that they aren’t American but that doesn’t bother me, id much rather have these to be different than to have an American special or something, i personally don’t like them, so please hold those recommendations.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    I love the Fender Road Worn '60s Strat, especially plugged on a good old VOX amp.
    fender-road-worn-60s-strat-olympic-white-pau-ferro-249952.jpg

So if it's from your mum and dad for all your hard work. Get an Elite Strat, or CS at around 2 Grand or more. Then you sell it and can buy 2 of those or one +a kick arse amp.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Anything that isn't a Road Worn. Those standard template wear patterns are sooooo obvious & unrealistic. And the poly finished necks are an absolute deal breaker for me. Even though Fender hid this information in the small print....

4. YALCaster

YALCaster Strat-O-Master

Mar 14, 2017
    America
    Road worn white, or candy apple red!

AxemanVR and qjenks23 like this.
  5. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 16, 2015
    Cleveland, OH
    I disagree. I like the road worn.

AxemanVR and qjenks23 like this.
  6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    I like the Road Worn too, but as Stratman said, they aren't 100% nitro. I still picked it in the poll.

qjenks23 likes this.
  7. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    First off welcome to the forum...

The classic series 50's CAR maple neck is pretty hot.

If you don't care for the maple neck then the white RW is pretty sweet.

I have modified my RW by adding a more realistic aged PG and then kept the guitar in direct sunlight for several months to add to the aged look. Put in a few more realistic nicks in the appropriate.

You can't go wrong with either of these two.
    Your parents may think the better buy would be the CAR classic series 50.

congrats and good luck

8. qjenks23

qjenks23 New Member!

Dec 13, 2018
    Georgia
    Thanks man! Everyone seems to praise the RW so I’m thinking I’m going with that, any tips on how to relic it to look a little more real?

AxemanVR likes this.
  9. qjenks23

qjenks23 New Member!

Dec 13, 2018
    Georgia
    Funny thing is when i first tried one at guitar center, i plugged it into a Vox amp. It’s funny because I’m not usually a cod fan but now I’ve been on the hunt for one since because i loved it!

Yves likes this.
  10. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    Who's that?
    That's the only one I know
    9f198ab6439671df250fd746f9a5fd23.jpeg

11. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Jan 2, 2016
    London
    I kind of agree with that. But the 60s roadworn Strat feels and sound really great I find.

12. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    I sanded off all the finish from the back of a Classic Series 60s neck, got it really smooth, applied about a dozen coats of Danish oil over several days & it's turned out really nicely. Much nicer than the bare wood on any RW 60s neck I've tried.

And, in the UK at least, the CS 60s is significantly cheaper than the RW 60s, or at least it was last time I checked. The price difference doesn't seem to be as great in the USA.

Yves likes this.
  13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2018
    Tacoma in two weeks
    i Would get the candy apple red if it were me. I wouldn’t want to pay for a guitar that has been relived. I prefer my guitars to have honest play wear over the years, and keep them as nice as I possibly can.

14. Badstratplayer

Badstratplayer Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Baldwinsville, NY
    I love my CAR classic 50s, I think fender discontinued that color. There's also one for sale here looks real pretty.

15. LuckyRaccoon

LuckyRaccoon Strat-Talk Member

Feb 3, 2019
    Austin, Tx
    I vote classic series. Sweet guitar for the money just change the pickups. That's unless you can convince them to get you an American Original 60's - on the logic that it's a lifetime guitar investment of course.

Stratoskater likes this.
  16. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Feb 3, 2016
    Elk Plain, Wa.
    you can check on line on tips for distressing BUT be careful because it doesn't take much to become a disaster.

Dirty up the knobs a little and scuff up and dirty up the pick up covers (DO NOT USE STEEL WOOL)
    nicks around input jack and guitar edges then Q tip some medium stain to darken said areas.

But do a little at a time to avoid the disaster...

At your age I would get the CAR classic 50's and play the heck out of it and get REAL road worn
    all yours from sweet and tears!

17. axejock

axejock Strat-Talker

Jul 26, 2018
    Washington State
    Maybe I'm too old to be totally objective on this, but for the life of me I just do not get the idea that the "road worn look" is cool! The only exception I can see to this are the guitars like Willie Nelson's "Trigger" and other major artists that actually loved a certain guitar and just rode it very hard. Why would anyone want to buy a new guitar that is artificially aged using a standard template or just artificially applied wear, and pay a premium price for it? There are so many beautiful new guitars available with outstanding finishes and electronics that one can buy and enjoy and let it receive honest wear and tear that will come naturally if used regularly and not meticulously cared for. Just my opinion......don't throw rocks!!

BobbyS, LuckyRaccoon and qjenks23 like this.
  18. Kdawg1966

Kdawg1966 Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2018
    Minnesota
    Being that you've played them all and like them all, I'd go for the one I thought looked the coolest. I voted for the road worn. Welcome to the forum, btw. Good luck and congrats on the prospective new guitar!

qjenks23 likes this.
  19. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Strat-O-Master

Feb 6, 2016
    USA
    That '60s road worn strat is probably a good one, I just can't see buying a new strat distressed like that (personal issue, I know).

A brand new MIM Player would be a great first REAL strat, and will give most standard MIAs a run for the money. My first choice of these would be the Buttercream w/maple neck/fretboard (like the one used as my avatar), but any color or fretboard of your choice would be fine of course.

Good luck! :)

qjenks23 likes this.
  20. fezz parka

fezz parka Do you Reach? Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Going to Eden...Hey Brother...
    Get the one that you enjoy playing and feel comfortable with.