Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I need Sweet home alabama amp settings and guitar settings.

Discussion in 'Tab & Music Forum' started by waddlesgee, Feb 25, 2010.

1. waddlesgee

waddlesgee Strat-Talk Member

hi i have a marshall valvestate 40v and a fender mim stratocaster.

Thanks

2. Dice

Dice Strat-O-Master

Try your ears! No one knows your own gear better than you.

3. Scott L

Scott L Strat-O-Master

With 3 guitars, and 1 of them being Gary Rossington on a Les Paul, your going to have to really do it by trial and error.

Look at this live video, lots of different amps back there and main lead is Rossington on an LP.

Alan Collins is using a Strat on this song, but usually was on an Explorer.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHsDa9_HSlA

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Fully agree. There is no magic formula. Majority of any sound comes from the individual playing, not settings on guitars and amps

6. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, but everyone needs referrence points. You will always sound like yourself and thats a good thing, but a little direction and assistance from others can be useful.

I think that you're telling people that its all in the hands is misleading and unhelpful. BB King fopr example doesn't play a strat, he plays a gibson because he likes the sound of it. He sets his amps a certain way becuase he prefers it. Yeah, he'll aways sound like BB nomatter what, but he doesn't show up to a gig with a peavey rage and a strat does he? Anyone who plays an LP thru a marshal will sound different when they plug into a strat and a fender. So yeah, its in the hands but we don't play cigar boxes with rubber bands do we?

People aren't just born knowing this stuff, thats why they ask questions.

7. Malikon

Malikon Dark Cabaret

that Strat/single coil sound nails the intro imo. Especially on the bridge pup or #2 position. (or is it 4? I always forget which way they're numbered. The bridge and middle.)

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Ed King wrote and played the original riff - and his was a really unique style - almost more a country, chicken pickin' feel...
    In the early days he was mainly a strat player (switched to Pensa Suhr and PRS in later years.) Among other things he used a seashell for a pick, which is part of what gives the intro that percussive sound - in absence of the seashell a compressor wouldn't hurt...

9. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

Sorry, IMO and many others, it's not misleading. The majority of a person's sound comes from themself, not the equipment. Yes the guitar and amp contributes, but the major part is the person playing.

Too many people believe they can sound like their favourite player by just buying the same guitar and amp they have. There are no magic settings and no special gear.

B B King would sound the same whatever guitar and amp he played, so do I, and I have a few different amps and guitars

10. Offshore Angler

Offshore Angler Senior Stratmaster

Agreed. You pick the scale length and thats about it. Gear has very little to do with it. Some- yes, but not nearly as much as many claim.

11. highway-one

highway-one Strat-O-Master

that strat solo was good 3456

12. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

I get what you're saying. I sound like myself too. There is nothing I can do about it. But I like the way I sound on a strat thru a fender and I don't like the way I sound thru a boogie with an LP. Obviously I have't changed your mind or gotten you to consider that guitars and gear do sound different. You have to admit (maybe not) telling people not to worry about their gear when they've asked for advice can be frustrating. It is gonna sound different if they tweek it. Just try playing a gig one night with your mids on 10 and bass and treble on 0. You'll sound like a crappier version of yourself.

BB is one of the most identifiable players I know of. yes he'll sound like BB if he plays a stra, but it'll sound like BB playing a strat.

Besides why have different amps and guitars then?

13. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Every show i do, every room i play in, every studio i go into, requires me to set up my tones different so there is no one formular to sound like anything, its personal preferance and your ears.

14. GuitarSmithTN

GuitarSmithTN Strat-Talker

Strat, 2nd position, slight amp overdrive (or a very transparent OD), hybrid picking. Check out Greg Koch's lesson on YouTube to hear another player copying Ed King.

15. NorthShore

NorthShore Senior Stratmaster

The original intro was played by Ed King using a Strat. I concur with GuitarSmith's settings, I get a very close approximation of the tone on my son's cheap Line 6 Spider III 15 with this. The way I learned it was from this lesson on YouTube (all pick, no fingers), and I think it sounds pretty close.

YouTube - How to play Sweet Home Alabama guitar intro

16. NorthShore

NorthShore Senior Stratmaster

17. GuitarSmithTN

GuitarSmithTN Strat-Talker

18. chuckdup

chuckdup Strat-O-Master

:rolleyes: growing up in Alabama, being 49 and still living in Birmingham you could not understand how burnt out on this song i am.. its a great tune except for the drunk standing right behind you screaming... FREEBIRD... FREEBIRD!!! HEHE!! :p ...............laters...chuck :eek:

19. kwikrp

kwikrp Strat-O-Master

Help finding video please

20. Strato67

Strato67 Former Member

LOL......that's all I got.