Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I really Like My SE Strat!

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by stratomatt, Nov 28, 2018.

1. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    A little less than a year ago I got a black/rosewood SE Squier "Strat." It was barely playable, but only because the setup was bad. It cost me $60. I ended up adding vintage tuners (with the spit shaft), a GFS bridge and a big steel block, a bone nut and a set of Rose pickups with the Dan Armstrong Mod and top end switch, jack and pots. It plays great and stays in tune perfectly. And the pickups I have in there sound fantastic! I wish it had 22 frets, but hey?

I had put it away for a while until recently. Then strat bug bit me again and I've been playing it a lot lately. And guess what? I really like it!

I was at Guitar Center looking to spend some money, possibly on an amp. I played some MIM strats and a few teles. Any you know what? I really like my Squier! Sure some of the MIMs are pretty nice, but none of them played as nice as mine.

In all fairness, these strats at GC were not set up very well. I'm sure if I took one of their guitars home and spent an evening with it on my workbench, I would like it a lot too. I'm surprised that they don't take better care their stock or set them up properly. Several of the guitars were damaged from falling out of their hangers on the wall, and many of these hangers were barely able to hold their guitars. Just sad. I actually saw one fall while I was there.

Anyway, one of these days I may "upgrade," but for now, I really like my Squier! (agethis or basswood body and all!)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Hash McBrown, jjudas, keybyte and 4 others like this.
  2. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

Jun 20, 2014
    SC
    I am a long way from GC, but go there once or twice a year when I am in the "big city" Same observation though, guitars were poorly set up and nobody really wants to help you. Everything I was drawn to was hanging 30 feet in the air....what's that all about? I did not see any sign saying "you have to be 30ft tall to play these guitars"...unless the sign was up there....

Bowmap and stratomatt like this.
  3. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I have had a couple of them and they are really well built instruments. They are also great upgrade platforms if that is what you are into. When I got them I got them for next to nothing, one for $30 and another for $45. The $30 guitar got turned into a custom hardtail for a friend of mine who was a worship pastor at the time and the $45 guitar got turned into this.

stratomatt likes this.
  4. JohnMac

JohnMac Strat-Talker

Feb 5, 2018
    Front Range, Colorado
    I love my SE and want another. They aren't that easy to come by and you need to be able to identify them. This one has been fairly heavily modified.

007.JPG

5. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    That's a nice one!

6. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2010
    San Diego
    Here is mine. Just a basic strat that plays like it's supposed to. SE-Strat.JPG

brians likes this.
  7. IronSchef

IronSchef Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2012
    Flew Here On My Dragonfly
    SE's are great - I have found that the necks on them are especially nice, plus the full sized body makes for great modding platform!

8. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2017
    Newnan ,Ga.
    I just wish they made a Squier SE Tele :whistling:

JohnMac likes this.
  9. Badstratplayer

Badstratplayer Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Baldwinsville, NY
    Guitar center is just horrible, was there yesterday looking to get a case for my newly acquired cij strat . The one I wanted was just completely covered in dust , yeah dust is no big thing ,but I just couldn't bring myself to give them my money

10. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I love my SEs! They're the best kept secret in the guitar world.

11. Bigdogdaddy

Bigdogdaddy Strat-O-Master Gold Member

Aug 8, 2018
    Kansas
    I have several and another one on the way. I gave away an SE body to somebody on Squier-talk and have the neck on Ebay. The necks are wonderful. I buy every one I can get my hands on.