Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

I really need to figure out a way to leave the drum kit miced up.

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Dadocaster, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Seriously. I have an idea, was just playing drums and want to record it. But.....have to drag stuff out to do so. Maybe I need to take the approach that someone (@simoncroft ?) mentioned a long while back and run a pseudo snake in the walls so that I can leave things set up. It's not like I use a lot of mics but still. :D

2. Dadocaster

Also: We pieced together another snare drum. When I bought drum stands the other week, the guy was so happy to be getting rid of drum junk that he threw in a Tama Rockstar metal snare shell. I contacted an illicit drum local drum dealer and got some used rims, we put it all together and it sounds RAWK. Looking forward to recording it.

3. nungesser

nungesser running with the moonshine dogs Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    cool my friend used to play Tama's I always thought they had a big monster sound to them, nice score

4. Dadocaster

Boyo doesn't come to this site so it's safe for me to say this here: Honestly, with the amount of time and effort he has put out and with the resulting growth as a player, my son actually probably deserves to be playing a better kit. That said, the cymbals we use now are decent and we have done loads of work getting heads and tuning done to make this kit usable. At the same time, it's probably helped him develop some good skills as a drum mechanic that he might not have if we just threw money at it.

Yeah, that snare is fun. We have a wood snare that is set up to be a big "whack" and that works in some situations but the livelier sound of a metal snare fits a lot of the odd stuff we do.

CigBurn likes this.
  5. nungesser

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    one of my closest friends was a drummer and I used to accompany him to a place in San Francisco called Sam Adato's drum shop and Sam had a snare collection that was on a shelf near the ceiling that wrapped all the way around the interior of the store must have been around 300 snare drums. I don't know what thats got to do with anything but it was pretty damn cool

simoncroft likes this.
  6. Dadocaster

Well, I would not have understood it before, but I sure do now: Some snares just go better with some genres. Initially it was kinda bugging me that the boy was always wanting a different snare but now I can see that it probably would take at least three to have most stuff covered.

On the good side, I am doing well picking up stuff for tiny amounts of money by monitoring local ads. If I tried hard, I might be able to fund everything that way. :D

7. nungesser

Apr 28, 2014
    Ireland
    well the snare is definitely the cornerstone of a drummers "tone" and he's probably got a tone in his head he's chasing or desiring but it's kind of one of those you don't know it till you hear it things, drummers are different in their approach to sound that's for sure

8. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
  9. Dadocaster

10. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    At that price, it's not even worth making something similar. By the time you've bought the box, the multicore, the connectors... you'll have spent a lot more. If permanent cabling means you don't have to break down the mics every time (although I'm not totally sure why that would be the case), I'd say that was a massive bargain.

11. Dadocaster

Small room, drum kit is in the corner, interface under the desk, cables on the floor, no room to move. :D If I had the box back in the corner behind the drums, cables in the wall and then popping out under the desk, all would be orderly. Or as orderly as they ever get.

12. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

If you want a snake, make friends with a college theater department stage manager, or several... They regularly switch out stuff and often just toss cables and the like.

But..when I'm leaving things wired up, I either suspend cables from the ceiling (where I've installed strategically placed hooks) or put carpeting over what's been left on the floor. I just know that the moment I run stuff in the walls, technology will render it obsolete. I've so much cat 6 and coax in my walls that sits unused, neglected, forgotten....

I hate progress.

13. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    You have my sympathies. Since we moved into this house 9 months ago, I've decorated two rooms, but spent a vast amount of time on cabling. Our houses in the UK tend to be built from block-work or brick, so we don't always have the dry-wall installation opportunities you might find in your own homes.

In order to get rear surround speakers in our main living-room, I've taken the cables outside near the front of house, then run them round to the back in trunking. While I was at it, I put in a fiber optic cable, so whatever audio is on the system in the main room can be fed to the kitchen and dining area.

I haven't finished the install yet, but we should be able to get the iTunes 'jukebox' of every CD we had – that I set up on my wife's iMac – plus every internet radio station, and every station from our TV receivers...

Unfortunately, my wife has no idea how to make any of this work. (And she is massively intelligent, just not attuned to AV.) What she asked for was "a radio in the kitchen". That 'one button' solution is already in place. :)

rolandson likes this.
  14. rolandson

rolandson Most Honored Senior Member

When we moved in, 15 years ago, satellite TV was all the thing... and at that time each television had to have its own line from the dish. Plus there was 5.1 surround to contend with. And of course each room needed an ethernet port. So I spent the first year running cable. In some cases I was finishing out rooms as well, so what's a few miles of cable?

Satellite TV is gone, replaced by the internet which is delivered by a single ethernet connection from the wireless router to a fiber-optic box on the side of the house.

I've got a gold mine of copper in these walls! Every now and then I think that maybe I've got a rudimentary Faraday cage here...who needs a tin-foil hat!

15. moullineaux

moullineaux Senior Stratmaster

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I bought an 8 in 2 our snake years back and keep my kit permanently miced and ready to play. Snake cords are great because you have just the one cord running from the kit to the board. You can use shorter cords from the mics to the snake box keeping cord tangle hell at bay. I have an old Ludwig metal shell marching snare that is one of my go to snares for anything needing a punching snare. Congrats on the Tama shell, they are good sounding snare drums.

16. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
  17. Dadocaster

Love the pic and I steadfastly and purposely use "miced" because I can't figure out how you get "miked" out of "microphone." :D

18. Dadocaster

Argh. Just hit record and noticed the kick drum level was really weak. Remembered I used that short mic stand to mic a guitar last night and did put it back on the kick. Argh

19. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Bet he keeps perfect time.

Probably does not like snakes.

moullineaux and GuitarPix like this.