Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

I think I’ll go with EMG DG20 pickups

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Tomas83, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    so on my next Strat I might go with these pickups. Michael Casswell does a such good job on persuading, RIP Michael...

apm1991 and CyFan4036 like this.
  2. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Strat-O-Master

May 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Have you considered the crossroads pickups? It seems the crossroads neck pickup is brighter. EMG claim the notch position tones with the crossroads set are better than other active sets, though I'm not very certain about it.

3. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Oh thanks, no I haven’t heard of them. I’ll check them out.

4. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Canada
    Admin Post
    I put the DG 20 setup in my Strat Plus, and it is fantastic. Very versatile.

Tomas83 likes this.
  5. Brian H

Brian H Senior Stratmaster

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware

I put them in an old Deluxe Strat Plus. I like them except for two things. They can sound compressed in a way ...and that battery!! A pain to change and wondering if it needs to be.

Tomas83 and TheDuck like this.
  6. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    @Tomas83 - I have the DG-20 in my Strat and it absolutely without a doubt kicks ass.

Any tone is there, short of high gain modern Metal.

And yes, EMG SAs can sound as vintage as any “true” single coil.
    Check out my Youtube vids (link in my sig) if you want to hear what they are capable of.

Battery changes for me are once a year. Just don’t leave your guitar plugged in, and the batteries will last a very long time.

Tone Deaf and Tomas83 like this.
  7. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    Like duck said. No need to change the battery more than once a year really.

I dare say the dg20 are as good as it gets. Dead silent, hot, spc and EXg controls are like a built in eq of sorts.

Get them

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    TheDuck and Tomas83 like this.
  8. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Dec 27, 2016
    US
    I don't have the actual DG-20 at but have a guitar with two older SA's and an 89 which is an coil splittable alnico humbucker. Like @duck said it can do almost anything when the HB is in split mode basically making it a DG-20 set. When I put it in HB that thing just rocks all the way though. One of my favorite sounding guitars. It also helps that it plays like a dream too.

Tomas83 likes this.
  9. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    I've always wanted to try that set...maybe soon!

10. didger

didger Senior Stratmaster

Feb 5, 2014
    Salt Lake City
    I didn't get the prewired DG20, but have the same setup of SA's, EXG & SPC, plus an added Pi2 phase inverter on the middle pickup in an American Standard, and it's a great versatile setup. You can't do any better for driving a lot of effects. I do miss a little vintage rawness and life on there, so I'm glad it's not my only Strat. I'd go with other guitars for a more straight ahead blues or classic rock gig.

Tomas83 likes this.
  11. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    some really nice playing there!!!

12. veehotel

veehotel Strat-Talker

Apr 21, 2016
    NL
    I’m also really considering the DG20 on my blue strat. The only other choice would be something completely different: lambertones p90 on the bridge (nice and telecasterish) with Texas special on the neck/middle.

I didn’t know mike had passed away :(

13. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    I'm thinking about it more and more...my next guitar actually might be a Cort G 260 so it might be SL20, or possibly just the neck and bridge humbucker, not using the middle as much. I'm checking out their page, and will have to listen to few demo's. (maybe a 66?) anyone with knowledge on the EMG's please chime in. Oh yes, Michael died in 2016 in tragic swimming accident. Spain is dangerous, first Gary Moore, now Michael Casswell, I only learned about Michael's death few months ago so don't feel bad. He was sure a heck of a player, so elegant.

TheDuck and veehotel like this.
  14. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    The 66 sounds really good. The guys in Judas Priest are using them as of late, and in my opinion, its the best guitar sound they've ever had. Of course pick ups are only a part of their sound.
    I've never played a 66, as Im a die hard fan of the 81, and I love the look of the "original" EMGs.

Tomas83 likes this.
  15. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Thanks what sucks is that there are no demos out there (or not as many as I’d like, or as good, etc...) I think I’d like the 58 too. I’ll check out Judas than :whistling:

TheDuck likes this.
  16. Nasser

Nasser Strat-Talk Member

May 10, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    I had a set of DG20 with the EQ. Sonically they sounded very good and of course they were dead quiet, but they felt sterile to me... didn't have that organic feel and mojo to them. So I sold them and went with more traditional passive custom wound PUPs.

But as always... YMMV

Tomas83 likes this.
  17. Fender Phil

Fender Phil Strat-Talker

I have EMG SC and SA pickups that have been in several of my American Strats. The SA is used in the DG20, but I just have quick connection EMG switches, volume and tone pots. I would like the tone pots to work on all pickups, but I found that the middle pickup is just fine without a tone pot, and the neck/bridge pickups benefits from having a tone pot. Vintage tones can be dialed in with pickup height adjustment.

The biggest surprise is that I absolutely love the SA pickups, loaded in my well sorted $100, 2003 MIM blackie Strat. I actually prefer this guitar when I play loud and really dig in. This guitar sounds and plays better than guitars that cost $1000 plus, more. It works well with any of the dozen plus amps that I own. I can’t say that about any of the 30 plus other guitars that I own.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    Tomas83 likes this.
  18. TheDuck

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I will add that to get close to vintage tones with the DG-20, set the EXG and SPC controls to zero.

You don't have to keep the pickups low, because as you turn down the volume (on active pickups) the tone doesn't change, only the output.

Makes for some great versatility.
    EXG and SPC on zero, volume around 5, and your getting a sweet singing single coil tone, then crank the volume and SPC and its like stepping on an overdrive pedal.

:thumb:

Tomas83 likes this.
  19. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    Thanks Phil, they sure sound like a winner. I think the playing them live is an important factor too...

20. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    [​IMG]

While a bit expensive I think I'm going to splice in a Fishman battery pack. With all the 9V batteries in my house that get an annual change (door locks, smoke detectors, etc) I somehow manage to forget the EMG battery. Plus I'm the type to put the guitar down then get distracted and leave the cable plugged in. It's died twice on me... once when practicing and once when jamming with friends. The second time sucked because I was away from home and no one had a spare battery or guitar. With the Fishman I'll just plug in the USB cable a few times a year and it'll be fine.

I also don't like jamming that 9V battery in there with the wires. It's a tight fit and I feel like one is going to break near a solder joint one time.

Tomas83 and TheDuck like this.