Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

I think I want to record

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by PatoLoco, Sep 3, 2018.

1. PatoLoco

PatoLoco Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2015
    Fullerton, CA
    Hi everyone, I’m sure I can’t be the only member here to have attempted this. I’ve written a few songs. I think they sound like they have decent hooks/melodies. I recorded them on a 2005 laptop with a free version of GarageBand. They sound ok, but far from a polished, radio worthy track.

I’m fantasizing about playing drums/bass/guitar/singing/piano/etc. I was fortunate to be able to plug my electronic drumset directly into GarageBand to get a good clean sound and I used a vocal harmonizer to do some cool three-part harmonies.

What do you guys think? Could a studio be a big help to me? Would they let me play one instrument per session? My acoustic drums aren’t the greatest. Do they provide a studio set? How could reproduce 3 part harmonies in the studio without the pedal?

I’m a little intimidated by the whole process. Appreciate any help. Thanks!

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes.

Absolutely.

On rare occasions.

Indeed not.

(Give us details and an honest self evaluation regarding which instruments and how well you play and maybe put up some of your music for use to listen to.)

With regard to Studios, you can do whatever you provided you are willing to pay for it.

Also, come talk to us in the Home Recording discussion area. You are correct that there are plenty of us doing this and that.

Nate D, Thrup'ny Bit and PatoLoco like this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    For the price of recording one or two songs in a local studio, you could buy all the necessary gear to do it yourself. Plus you get all the joy of making the song your way. Your vision.

Plus, in a studio.. you’re on their timeline. You’re not going to have nearly the freedom you’d have yourself.

I’m never planning on going to a studio unless a record label or some other entity is paying my way.

PatoLoco likes this.
  4. Dadocaster

There are half measures that can work. I have profound hearing problems and I may never be able to mix something to a level of quality that I would be willing to release to the public. So, I do all the slow stuff at home, all the tracking, and then have someone mix and master for me. There is some cash that changes hands, but it's not a huge amount. The amount I save for doing the annoying part at home is pretty large.

PatoLoco likes this.
  5. PatoLoco

PatoLoco Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2015
    Fullerton, CA
    Alrighty guys, here goes nothing...

Be gentle!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2018
    CigBurn and Mansonienne like this.
  6. Dadocaster

Awesome. You are getting a nice vocal sound and the song is...a song. Catchy.

Figure out how you want to proceed and proceed. Plenty of people here to talk to about what approach works best.

(Made me smile. I have been working on stuff that is mostly punk and kinda aggressive so it was great to hear a different vibe.)

PatoLoco likes this.
  7. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Sounds like you already have it ready. Not sure what a studio would do differently. I like the music a lot.

PatoLoco likes this.
  8. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

Oh , heck yeah!!

PatoLoco likes this.
  9. Dadocaster

It needs a better mix and a mastering. It's very nicely done as it is, but it's not finished.

stratobiker and PatoLoco like this.
  10. PatoLoco

PatoLoco Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2015
    Fullerton, CA
    Thanks my man. Thanks for the positivity.

11. PatoLoco

PatoLoco Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2015
    Fullerton, CA
    Made my day!

12. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN
    The fact that these questions are being asked tells me that you need to hire a producer and an engineer.
    Yes, of course you can learn to do it all yourself but it seems you may be quite a ways from that.
    The producer and engineer can be the same person as they often are these days in small studios.
    The right studio will allow you to accomplish your goal.
    And they won't need to use a pedal.

PatoLoco likes this.
  13. PatoLoco

PatoLoco Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2015
    Fullerton, CA
    Yeah, being able to plug in electronic drums and keys into the laptop really helps but the vocals are just so scratchy or booming at times.

14. Dadocaster

The vocal was a high point. I liked the capture.

Take it from me, if you get someone else to mix something of yours and they are good at it, you will be shocked at how good your song will sound.

stratobiker likes this.
  15. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

Your vocals are gained pretty hot.....overdriving in some spots. Are your vocals compressed? Doesn’t sound like it. I would SLAM those vocals on the front end to achieve consistent levels throughout. I would also compress the entire mix a bit in post production.

Another trick with your vocals that I like to do........take your master vocal track and copy it. Create another channel and drop the copied vocal in, so now you have two of the same vocals. Use that second master vocal to fatten up your sound. Maybe roll some of the top end off of that one and drop it a nanosecond behind the MASTER master vocal(to create a mini delay thus fattening the big picture sound). Start the level low and bring it up slowly until you start to hear that vocal fatten up. You can even do this three times and pan the two duplicates left and right. Just keep the levels low......they are really there to beef up and support the main master vocal.

All in all.......this sounds pretty doggone good as it is for a demo. Which begs the question........what is your objective/goal? If it’s to create radio ready music, you definitely need to work with a producer. If your goal it to use the demos to try and sell your songs or what have you.....I think you can achieve the skills to be able to do that from home. You’re already on a good track, you just need to learn some more.

Good work. :)

PatoLoco and nickmsmith like this.
  16. PatoLoco

PatoLoco Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2015
    Fullerton, CA
    You’re right about the vocals. I put some kind of standard compressor on them but it obviously didn’t do much. Love your ideas about thickening them up too. I’ve seen that done in studios. It’s awwsome. I’ll see what I can find online about manipulating compressors on GarageBand. Thanks for giving it a listen.

17. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Yeah you definitely have the tools to do it yourself. I think a sound engineer might make some tweaks, but the final result would likely be pretty similar to what you already have.

You sound like UB40. Hope that isn’t an insult to you. I like their music.

18. PatoLoco

PatoLoco Strat-Talker

Aug 21, 2015
    Fullerton, CA
    I take that as a huge compliment. I’ve seen them several times live.

stratobiker likes this.
  19. Vinnie1971

Vinnie1971 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 14, 2015
    U.K.
    You can get pro results with garage band.
    I use a Behringer 12 track usb mixer or when I’m lazy just a single SM57 clone in front of the amp plugged direct into my iPad or iPhone.

Sure some folks may sniff at that but my results are better than some so called pro engineers in their studios using Logic Pro I’ve worked with.

The guitars were recorded on iPhone using Pyle SM57 clone. Bass was DI.

I’m not sure how the singer and drummer recorded their tracks - I’m in the U.K., they are in the states, but I exported the tracks out of BandLab- mastered in GarageBand and reimported into BandLab.

I think this is very polished even though it’s tough and ready using MP3 and MA format files.

https://www.bandlab.com/revisions/805438e5-ffaa-e811-bce7-00155d77a692

stratobiker likes this.
  20. Dadocaster

Good work can be accomplished on pretty much any DAW, whether it's the free/limited whatever version. Make that the least of your worries. I do think that most of us benefit from having someone good mix our stuff.