Join Strat-Talk Today

I think I want to record

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by PatoLoco, Sep 3, 2018.

1. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

My suggestion is go the home recording route - there's a bunch of info here and all over the net. Then you can record over and over and over until you get what you want. The hourly rate for an actual studio would be fairly high so you would only get so many kicks at the can.

2. PatoLoco

PatoLoco Strat-Talker

Thanks for giving it a listen. Eh, it’s a niche genre here in so cal, and a few other places. Just felt good to get something out of my head. Kinda felt like the guy from Close Encounters of the Third Kind for 9 months...carving devils tower into my mashed potatoes. Finally, I got something that I don’t mind showing to a random stranger. Thanks for the positivity!

3. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

No problem. I just played it to my 16 year old daughter who doesn’t like it. But, that’s only her personal preference.

There’s an Australian guy called Peter Ande who had a song in or around 1996 which is not dissimilar to your own song. The song is called “Mysterious Girl” and it did very well for him, at that time (96), would the same type of song sell now? I don’t know, but if you took a demo recording to a current DJ, Radio Station, they might be able to answer the question.

I like it, but I’m going to be 69 in a few weeks and might be the wrong person to offer a meaningful opinion. Keep at it, it is very good.

PatoLoco likes this.
  4. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

It sounds excellent to me. The harmonies would be better sung naturally not using the harmonizer but that's about it. Recording studios are cheap these days. You might think about trying to sell your work to a publisher. Anyone can make a record especially now days but what then? How are you going to support it/sell it? Live shows are about the only place. I suppose you can get it on iTunes but again who will know?

5. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't forget there is also a market in making stuff available for use in TV shows. Something like this would fit perfect as the background music for a beach scene, tropical bar, etc. Going that route you'd def want to own as much of the piece as possible, writing, publishing, the music etc. Get as much of the pie as you can.

@fezz parka or @davidKOS here should be able to provide more in depth perspective on that.

Sounds great to me though, well done!

mjark likes this.
  6. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice work. Great vibe. :thumb:

7. davidKOS

davidKOS over 48 years playing gigs Strat-Talk Supporter

It's a matter of submitting to agencies and finding ones that will use your music.

fezz parka and CigBurn like this.
  8. CigBurn

CigBurn Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Hah! All this time I've been playing in front of the TV hoping one of the people on the show will notice. :)

davidKOS likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.