Join Strat-Talk Today

I think I've had it with selling on eBay! (NOT eBay's fault)...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by AxemanVR, Jan 10, 2019.

1. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been selling things on eBay for years, but lately it's been nothing but a total pita!

In December I put one of my guitars up for sale. This guitar has always been a great player but I just never bonded with it, so time for it to move on.

Not long after listing it on eBay I got an email from a prospective buyer wanting to know if there was anything wrong with the neck (specifically the neck). Red flags started flying but I just ignored them!

Anyway, I told him what I said in the auction description, that it always played great for me. Next thing I know he's in a hurry to buy it and wanted to know if I could change it from an auction to a "Buy It Now" sale. I thought; "sure, why not"?

So the guy buys it and off it went. I watched the USPS tracking to make sure it gets there ok, which it did. A few days pass and I didn't hear from the guy so I sent a followup to see if he was satisfied with it - BIG MISTAKE!

Next thing I know I'm getting bombarded with an email saying that this guitar was totally unplayable and will need to have the frets all leveled and maybe the neck was twisted. Then "it" finally came up - he thought it would cost over $100 to "fix it" (hint, hint)...

I told him the guitar was fine when I sent it and if he thinks the frets need leveling that was his decision to make. I haven't heard from him since (knock on wood)!

Then a week ago I put another guitar up for sale on eBay (in excellent condition and described as such) and some person with broken english asked if I could lower the price (I politely said "no"), then they wanted me to end the auction early for them (I also politely said "no" again). The auction just ended today and that person got the winning bid.

I promptly sent them an email: "Congratulations, you won"!

Next thing I know I'm getting emails (again in broken english) asking if there's anything wrong with it. I told them that my auction description was accurate and that it was in "excellent condition". I also clearly stated in the auction that I only ship using USPS, and this person asked if I could sent it via UPS - but not before asking once again whether there was something wrong with it! This went on for a couple emails.

I finally sent them an email asking them if they wanted to cancel the order - because frankly I'd rather lose a sale than go through the living hell I know would be coming once they get it!

Still waiting for their response... (fingers crossed)...

`

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Yves, Mankonis and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  2. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

One thing I have always wondered about buyers/sellers on ebay/reverb/CL/etc is if any of them are forum members on here and we are dealing with our fellow forum members without even knowing it. FWIW, I've never had any issues the deals I've done directly through this forum. I know the 3rd party sites offer protection to both parties but it also seems to bring out the jerks in people.

3. AxemanVR

`
    I had a bad experience at another forum and will never do that ever again. It's like selling a used car to your brother and then having to hear about every little problem it has for the next three months while everyone in your family watches...

`

4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

1st guy: just tell him to send the guitar back and you'll refund him 100% (he'll probably disappear).

2nd guy: if he hasn't paid yet, simply cancel the order using the "mistake in the listing" option or whatever works (sold elsewhere, yada yada).

mad axe man and AxemanVR like this.
  5. AxemanVR

Unfortunately the guy says he's been "adjusting" things to make it play better, but is now considering bringing it to a shop to have a "professional" look at it, which scares me because I have no idea what he's done to it! (And I'm pretty sure I don't want to know)!

`

Bob the builder and Yves like this.
  6. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

If he's admitted in an ebay message that's he's "adjusting" things, then I'm pretty sure that ebay will side with you.

7. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

I've had a couple buyers on eBay try to scam me as I've sold things on eBay (not guitars, but other things). In both situations, eBay resolved the issue in my favor though. One time I sold a laptop on eBay, and shipped it via UPS with insurance just in case anything happened to it in transit. The buyer claimed the screen was cracked and sent a picture. I just thought that's what the insurance was for, and I reported it to UPS at my local UPS office. UPS asked for the buyer's phone number, so I asked for that on eBay, but one of the problems was that the buyer was slow to respond with his phone number. When he finally sent his phone number, I gave it to UPS, and after a while I heard UPS was trying to call him but never got ahold of him. The buyer said he never got any calls from UPS. The buyer filed a claim against me on eBay, but after eBay reviewed our email conversation, eBay ruled in my favor, so I didn't have to bother with that buyer again.

Another time, I sold a DVD on eBay, and the buyer did something that I learned was "feedback extortion". The buyer claimed it wouldn't play or something (the DVD was totally fine when I sent it). I don't remember all the details, but the buyer left negative feedback for me, and I ended up accepting a return (and he only returned the disc without the case, which I was a bit pissed about). I called eBay, and they looked at the transaction and told me it was feedback extortion and I technically didn't have to accept the return. eBay removed the negative feedback from my profile.

8. AxemanVR

Too late, they already paid... :confused:

9. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

You have my sympathies. I used to trade a lot on ebay, but I only use it now to buy cheap electronics, and offload the odd thing I don't want anymore. As a seller, I ended up making more for ebay and PayPal than me, most of the time.

Out of a few hundred sales, I had a few crooks or idiots. One was the winning bidder on a perfectly correct Strat, who then asked "what is the serial number?" I sent it to him, and he answered: "No, that's wrong." Last I ever heard.

I've had a few fantasists like that, and now that ebay doesn't allow you to neg a buyer, it's getting hard to point them out to other sellers.

I've had one or two who've noticed after the winning bid that there is a shipping charge and have told me I "must" be able to ship it to their country for €30.

The biggest **** of all was a guy I sold a real metal guitar to, who immediately raised a Dispute with ebay, claiming the guitar was "unplayable", and the whammy bar was missing. I replied that I'd been setting up guitars for 40+ years and no one has ever said that. Had he raised the strings to concert pitch first? Also, the vibrato arm was in the bubble wrap with "Vibrato Arm" written on it. Turns out he hadn't tuned it up, so the FR plate was well below the face of the guitar, and he hadn't examined the packaging very carefully...

10. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

I learned that lesson quick, as well. People try to take advantage. They have no conscience. Not worth it.

11. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

That's good. The minute he admitted that he has altered the guitar in any way since receiving it, he lost his right to return it & demand a refund. So just tell him this, & then tell him to go away, as politely or as bluntly as you wish.

12. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

There’s as a thread recently like this...Is this a trend now with buyers.

13. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i often think if ebay could get rid of the unethical people they would outsell walmart.

i used to be a power seller and most buyers were as polite as could be, but the 1 % of shady characters trying to work me and ebay is hell to deal with.

AxemanVR likes this.
  14. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

I ordered a h Johnson strat copy from eBay for my grandson. The seller described it as being in good condition. It wasn't. It arrived with broken tuner and all sorts of damage and filthy. I contacted him through ebay, and got no response. After a week of sending him messages, and no reply, I figured that I wasn't going to hear from him. So I left him negative feedback.

Two hours after that I get an email from him asking why I left him negative feedback. I explained it to him, and said that if he wanted to pay twenty bucks for the tuners and jack I had to replace, I would contact eBay to remove the negative feedback. He said that I was extorting him. I said no, that I honestly spent 20 bucks on parts. He countered back that he could do 10 dollars refunded and I told him no. He refused to pay me the 20 bucks, and I never heard from him again.

I'm pretty much through with ebay. Been ripped off too many times.

JamesE likes this.
  15. axis69

axis69 Senior Stratmaster

No,don't tell him this.Dont correct him, just let him give you more details/evidence about how he s fixing it/voiding his claim.

16. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Actually, this is the best advice. Ignore my advice earlier & do this instead.

simoncroft, AxemanVR and rafasounds like this.
  17. GuitarMechanic

GuitarMechanic Most Honored Senior Member

I only sell Hot Wheels cars and the like on fleabay anymore. I have so many horror stories I won't bore you with them. for music equipment I only use reverb and I only ship small things (tuners pickups etc) to avoid the possible damage and all that. For guitars amps etc I sell them locally on CL or Reverb but local pickup only. Getting so bad now scammers are even on CraigsList

Bodean likes this.
  18. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

I'm sad to report the only place I've been scammed is buying from a forum member here. I did use a credit card that protected my purchases and recovered the funds, but it certainly reminded me to always keep my guard up. I've never had a deal go bad on eBay or Craigslist, but I'm not so naive to think that means it's totally safe over there.

19. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Strat-O-Master

You can ban people from buying from you on eBay.

I have done it a couple times, just based off of sketchy questioning.

I haven’t sold anything on eBay for almost 10 years now. Too risky and they don’t protect sellers.

20. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

That's disappointing to hear but I can understand how a bad experience can shy you away from wanting to try it again. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.