Join Strat-Talk Today

I think I've had it with selling on eBay! (NOT eBay's fault)...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by AxemanVR, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

He most likely copied the disk and put his copy in your case.

2. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Strat-O-Master

I'll say, it looks like Ebay's policies favor the buyer more than the seller. As a long time picker and collector, I've found there are the occasional folks that fetish over necks. I don't get it myself, but for some folks, the slightest nuance of barely measurable neck shape and whisper-light low low setup is the most important thing. Something to consider when trying to help a buyer with their needs.

3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I sold hundreds of guitars on eBay and learned who to BLOCK.

simoncroft likes this.
  4. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

It must have been a good copy then, because it also had the official movie label on it and the bottom of the disc looked like a movie DVD that you buy rather than a DVD-R or something.

5. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Like so many things, ebay was good when it began. I've been ripped off and I've heard so many bad stories that I treat it - well, like a flea market! It's a shame that it means I can't access a lot of stuff, but now I don't risk more than $30 a time it's perfect! Haven't had a problem for many years.

6. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I think what @Triple Jim is saying is he kept your case so he had one for the DVD-R copy he'd made for himself before bullying you for a refund.

velvet_man and Triple Jim like this.
  7. CalicoSkies

Ah, perhaps that's what he did.

simoncroft likes this.
  8. simoncroft

I've blocked a few people who tried to scam me, including one who paid me in cash at a railway station. You might think, what could go wrong?

He picked a really busy time, right on the concourse, probably hoping I wouldn't count the money because of all the people around. Plus he kept saying he didn't want to go anywhere quieter because his return train was leaving right away. Unfortunately for him, I'm not that easily manipulated, and I knew the train times didn't fit what he was saying, so I knew he was putting the squeeze on me.

I told him he was a hundred short. "Oh, is there only £199 there?" he replied. "No, I said, there's £299 here, but the price is £399," I told him.

"Oh, I must have made a mistake," he said, and pulled another £100 from his wallet with hesitating, or counting to see how much money was there.

If you were buying from me and you thought the price was £299, would you pull out another £100 on top without arguing the toss? I don't think so.

9. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    One problem is that a 100% Positive Feedback rating on eBay can be misleading.

In my case, for example, I'm definitely NOT going to leave any feedback for either buyer until they leave me positive feedback! So if a buyer has harassed people in the past, you might not ever know it because sellers won't leave them any negative feedback in fear of retaliation.

I had one instance where the seller didn't follow through with a sale and only agreed to refund my money if I cancelled my order. In cases where both parties agree to cancel there is no option to leave any feedback, so there is no consequence for poor or fraudulent service.

100% positive feedback only means someone did good on the auctions where things worked out, but does not necessarily reflect any of the potentially bad ones.

`

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  10. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I blocked just by how they messaged me.
    After a while I could tell who was going to be a problem.

AxemanVR likes this.
  11. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Buh...woz it somethin wong wis it, woz der?

12. Yves

Yves Senior Stratmaster

Oh boy! Love your posts!
    I'm having a laugh!
    just cause I can identify with some of the stuff you relate to.
    Anyway, managed to lock myself out of the house tonight so having a pint at the local pub waiting for her to pick me up.
    And this is keeping me entertain, Cheers!

Bowmap likes this.
  13. simoncroft

Sellers can't leave negative feedback any more, which is absurd. It's another reason I don't trade on ebay so much. Guitar auctions attract their fair share of fantasists who don't have the funds, but it's almost impossible to flag them up now. :mad:

AxemanVR likes this.
  14. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    Really? I didn't know that!

I'm not prone to leaving negative feedback anyway. I've never gotten totally ripped off, so I usually leave no feedback when things fall short - which kind of makes me part of the problem I suppose...

`

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  15. chrimturn

chrimturn Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I’m careful with what I choose to buy anymore. But I’m definitely done selling.

Packed up a turntable and sold it for my grandma. It played fine. Had a guy I know look at it. Put a new ribbon on it and adjusted the speed switch. Everything else was original parts. He confirmed it was in good working condition. We packed it up tight and sent it on it’s way.

After the guy received it, he said we sold him damaged goods. Once it came back, the stylus was loose, the headshell had a hairline crack in it and the speed/rpm toggle no longer adjusted the speeds.

Maybe it got damaged during shipping. But I doubted it due to the way it was packed. I couldn’t help to think that the guy swapped out the parts that he needed with the one we sold him. I tried to contest it, but it went nowhere. Refunded the guys money, paid the return shipping and got the same turntable back with the bad parts.

Live and learn I guess.

16. simoncroft

It seems perverse to 'like' your bad experience, so I'll tell you about being on the other end of a similar situation instead. I bought an analog tape recorder from Germany. It got damaged in transit. The packaging wasn't really good enough for a machine of that weight, but to make things worse, DHL in Germany use ParcelForce in the UK. I never send anything ParcelForce, they tend to treat packages roughly, and their 'compensation' scheme is no substitute for proper insurance.

I informed the dealer in Germany, and sent him pictures to show how I received the machine. He agreed that it was damaged but said DHL's T&C stated I had to claim against the shipper in the UK, as I was the one who had received damaged goods. I looked on the DHL website for the German operation, used Google Translate and discovered he was telling the truth.

So I went to make a claim against ParcelForce, and they pointed me at their T&C, which clearly state it is up to the customer (ie the person who shipped the good) to claim from their end of the process. Neither the dealer who sold me the machine or I ever managed to lodge a claim with either shipping company.

In the end, the seller gave me a bit of discount, and I repaired the damage myself. Neither of us wanted to rip the other off, but we both lost on the deal to some extent.

However, I agree that the buyer in your case deliberately manipulated the situation to use the turntable as a source of free spare parts. People like that are basically criminals and the sales system should not let them get away so easily.

chrimturn likes this.
  17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

This is not aimed at anyone in particular, it's just my experience as someone who ships hundreds of packages around the world per year.

As a general rule, overpack everything. Always assume it's going to get dropped onto solid concrete from 6 feet up, because it probably will. If it's something heavy, double box it with padding in the inside box and plenty more padding between the two boxes. It's worth the trouble and expense to have a good chance that the item arrive intact, rather than have to deal with trying to make claims to the shipper, explain things to the buyer, etc..

If I were shipping a guitar, I'd use a guitar box with lots of padding, and put that in another larger box with something like peanuts all around.

simoncroft and AxemanVR like this.
  18. CalicoSkies

My most recent eBay incident: I bought a 4K PC monitor on eBay on the 1st, and it arrived on the 5th. I found that it emitted a high-pitched noise when turned on. The seller was accepting returns, so I initiated the return process (stating the noise as the reason) and got a pre-paid shipping label, and I shipped it back. The seller issued a refund today, but only for half the price, and he claims it was shipped back with a cracked screen. I've sent the seller a message about it stating the monitor was not cracked when I shipped it back, and I'm waiting to hear back. Unfortunately I didn't think of taking pictures of the monitor before shipping it back. If the seller doesn't agree, then I'll go through eBay's option to step in and help and will likely leave negative feedback for the seller.

19. simoncroft

I do exactly that, and have seldom had an item reported as damaged in transit. When I sold two vintage amps to a collector in China, I not only used box-within-a-box packing, but made sure the boxes were easy to reseal when Customs had opened them up. Then I sent pictures of every stage of the packing process to the buyer. It all went well, and I was able to buy a very nice 335 with the money. One of my customers said the packaging appeared to be designed to withstand a nuclear attack!

I predict ebay will compel the seller to issue a full refund. :thumb:

BlueCajun, CalicoSkies and Triple Jim like this.
  20. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

So you wouldn't recommend this as a way of wrapping a Telecaster? This is how I received it from an eBay purchase. There was an address label stuck to the other side.

Because it was a Tele, it was not only undamaged, but it wasn't far off from being in tune!

IMG_2625.JPG

AxemanVR, space, Triple Jim and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.